Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird Creek Report

Default Bird Creek Report

The Bird is doing good for pinks, chums and silvers. Pretty sure I caught a small king about 14" last night and returned it to the water due to the no king rule. I have not really found a best time i usually catch fish everytime there doesnt matter about the tide as far as the way I fish.
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    I have not really found a best time i usually catch fish everytime there doesnt matter about the tide as far as the way I fish.
    Rich
    Yea if you wanna floss pinks and chums. I fish around the tides there so i can actually get fish to bite. I went and fished the tide last night and it was nothing compared to what Bird usually is. I saw maybe 3 fish caught on the incoming tide with about 30 people fishing. People up near the wire were flossing them and catching but I refuse to floss for pinks and chums. When the fish are at Bird thick you can catch fish on nearly every cast before and after the tide. Fish are not there in huge numbers like usual, late run.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

I beg to differ to an extent. There have been plenty of times I have been in there the past week and a half and managed my limit pretty easy. I cant speak from last year as I was in Asscrackistan. I will say Bird for coho has been alot better for me than Ship for coho and kings when it was open for them.
    I did completely enjoy going to Bings landing and knocking the snot out of a few reds. It is simply amazing how many people can't manage to feel the line and legally catch a fish.
    One thing I can't stand is one group (3) of inconsiderate men at Bird, these guys have enough audacity to try and crowd me or anyone else out of a hole where I or they are actively catching and not even giving the original hole finder a litlle wiggle room. Just annoy's the heck out of me.
    Rich
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 08-02-2010 at 10:09.

I wasn't saying there wasn't any fish there. Just nothing compared to usual. If the fish are in there thick you can get one on darned near every cast.

Bird is real crappy this year compared to last year....old pinks in there...saw a few guys catch pinks and thought they had silvers....LOL

Ummm....so is anyone catching anything at Bird Creek? Has the water cleared up any?

I guess I am not so interested when I click on this thread whether there is a United Nations meeting going on or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Ummm....so is anyone catching anything at Bird Creek? Has the water cleared up any?

I guess I am not so interested when I click on this thread whether there is a United Nations meeting going on or not.
    Yes the water is clear. No the fishing is not that great. Was there last night for the incoming tide. Saw 2 fish caught (both pinks) and I struck out. Don't know if the fish are really late this year or a no show yet. Hoping they are just late. I'm dissapointed in Bird this year. I was deployed last summer so didn't get to fish but 2 years ago you could catch a fish on nearly every cast.

Fished Bird Creek on the incoming tide. Caught one nice silver on a home tied jig under a bobber. Saw what looked like one other silver and one pink caught in about two hours. Pretty slow given the number of folks fishing. It was WINDY!!!!

Thanks for the info Raptor.

Trying to post pics...sorry relative newbie...
    Attached Images Attached Images

No problem, that's the first silver I've seen come out of there this year. Great catch. Only problem is everyone is gonna read this and think they are in there thick and that place will be a mad house now! lol no worries though, it's the nature of the beast up here. Good work, hope you can get some more. Good looking jigs by the way. I love drifting steelhead jigs for silvers. Out fishes roe sometimes

Well I was lucky. I'd say 40 people for 2 hours and I saw 2 silvers and a pink. Definitely not hot and heavy. I was hoping to hit a few pinks so I could take my kids down. There probably are safer places though...

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Well I was lucky. I'd say 40 people for 2 hours and I saw 2 silvers and a pink. Definitely not hot and heavy. I was hoping to hit a few pinks so I could take my kids down. There probably are safer places though...
    I love taking my kids with me fishing at bird when people start to crowd in as has been mentioned here I stop casting and pass the pole to my youngest kid that can cast since they cast all over the place people start giving you some room if you encourage them they will get really enthusiastic with they're casting and others will stop crowding because they know a big tangled mess is bound to happen and so you can enjoy your kids smiling while they fish and push away people who are inconsiderate at the same time a win win!

Default This morning

Went early this morning. Lots of pinks caught prob 20 in 2 hours plus a few dogs and lost one silver. There is fish there its just not as easy as bird creek can get

I started this thread, not to create a racial war for the masses but to get some fishing info out there about my experiences at bird creek. Not IF you were offended by me sayin "inconsiderate asians" i am sorry. I will fish next to anyone who doesnt mind me being there and I feel the same. If you would like to fish the hole Im working just ask be polite and considerate. But when I asked these guys (there you go) to give me some space or wait for me to get my limit they stayed right next to me.

thanks for clearing things up,
    now back to the reports!

What are you guys catching chums on?

I was just tossing a Coho fly and 18-24" up from that a 3/4 oz rubber core weight.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    What are you guys catching chums on?

No need to mess with that creek at any other time than 2 hours before high tide until 2 hours after. Unless you want to go there and floss pinks and chums. Take some size 3 and 4 vibrax and pixies and some roe to float for silvers. That should catch you all the pinks, chums, and maybe a few silvers you can handle.

Fished 2 hours prior to 1230 high tide before being called into work. Slow, buddy lost a chum. Looked like fish were coming in just as the tide was heading out
    -JB-

"The path of least resistance is what makes both rivers and men crooked"

I had a great day yesterday evening at Bird.... Ridge. I brought both fishing and hiking gear. Started fishing. After 45 minutes of nobody on the creek catching squat, including me, switched out waders for hiking boots and had a wonderful hike. Fishing at Bird still quite slow...

-gr
    My signature is awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast