Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Kicker question?

  1. #1
    Member breausaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    830

    Default Kicker question?

    For those who use an 8 or 9.8 4 stroke kicker, do you use the stock prop or go with a lower pitch like say from a 15 to 12 pitch? Or does it not make that much difference.
    I realize the high thrust kickers are more efficient but I am just looking for something to get me home in the event of a catastrophic breakdown or accident that would render my main useless; a 22ft C-dory is light. My Honda main is a wonderful trolling motor so it makes no sense to have anything other than a basic pull start kicker hanging off the stern for emergencies.
    And yes I am one of those crazy fools who venture out into Alaskan waters without a kicker. And yes I am diligent with maintenance and confident in my abilities to maintain the systems of my little vessel. But then I realize you canít prepare for every unforeseen event.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.


  2. #2
    Member patrickL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    So is your question regarding a non-high thrust small outboard? Why wouldn't you want a high thrust? They're geared to move around large boats just like you are suggesting were standard small outboards aren't really built for this. I would think a stardard 9.9 would have to work pretty hard to move around a 22ft boat given its really geared for moving around small boats. If your question is that you have a small outboard already, not a high thrust model but a standard model, then I would recommend going down in pitch. The motor still needs to be able to reach the proper rpm or you're lugging it which often causes the motor to fail.

    If you are looking for a kicker I would recommend a small high thrust either in a yamaha, honda, or merc. I had a honda 8hp power thrust that moved my 22ft Ocean Pro around very well even in a pretty good wind. I used it for some fishing but I primarily had it as a backup just in case I lost my main. Hope that answers your question.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    For those who use an 8 or 9.8 4 stroke kicker, do you use the stock prop or go with a lower pitch like say from a 15 to 12 pitch? Or does it not make that much difference.
    I realize the high thrust kickers are more efficient but I am just looking for something to get me home in the event of a catastrophic breakdown or accident that would render my main useless; a 22ft C-dory is light. My Honda main is a wonderful trolling motor so it makes no sense to have anything other than a basic pull start kicker hanging off the stern for emergencies.
    And yes I am one of those crazy fools who venture out into Alaskan waters without a kicker. And yes I am diligent with maintenance and confident in my abilities to maintain the systems of my little vessel. But then I realize you can’t prepare for every unforeseen event.
    Jay,

    Pat's advice is sound. But, I have heard from C-Brat folks that they really couldn't tell the difference in performance between their old "regular thrust" motor and their new "high thrust" engine for what it is worth. I would prefer to have the mechanical advantage through the gear set, but you could probably just as easily accomplish this with a difference prop as Pat noted. If you haven't yet, you should post this in the C-Brat's site and see what comes up. Have a good one

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    lower u.s.
    Posts
    91

    Default

    remember for years and long before there was high thrust motors the old reliable plain jane worked just fine. if you arent using it for anything else important than an inexpensive used motor will do okay.

  5. #5
    Member breausaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flatbottom View Post
    remember for years and long before there was high thrust motors the old reliable plain jane worked just fine. if you arent using it for anything else important than an inexpensive used motor will do okay.
    Problem is everyone else it looking for in inexpensive used kicker, thinking seriously about just dropping 2 grand on a new Tohatsu 4 stroke. At 82lbs it’s the lightest 4 stroke around.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.


  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Problem is everyone else it looking for in inexpensive used kicker, thinking seriously about just dropping 2 grand on a new Tohatsu 4 stroke. At 82lbs it’s the lightest 4 stroke around.
    I was over to J Kimberly's this afternoon getting some info on the used 9.9 high thrust 4 stroke I picked up last week. He was complimentary towards Tohatsu motors. I have a 6 hp Tohatsu that pushes my porta bote at hull speed up 20 mile. it's an 04 and just keeps on keep'n on.

  7. #7
    Member breausaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Also had a Porta-bote, a 14ft with Tohatsu 9.9 two stroke; the motor weighed 55lbs wet. Hauled up on top of the 5th wheel and had a ton of fun with that little guy.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.


  8. #8
    Member Maast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    510

    Default

    You might want to go with an even smaller pitch, the stock pitch on my Yam HT8 is a 5.75 and it scoots my 26 tin pilothouse around just fine at 6 mph, 8 mph if I WOT. My hull speed is about 7MPH
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

  9. #9

    Default

    I had a 9 hp High Thrust Honda on my 22'Bayliner Explorer and it pushed it about 6mph, by chane I ended up with a 8hp High Thrust Honda, it weight was 20 pounds lighter (or so) and it pushed the boat at 6mph.
    Had to come in once 18 miles used 1-1/2 gallons of fuel, though maybe I should just leave the big one out?

    The gear ratio and prop combo seems to give it the max, but 8hp is not developed untill WOT ( or close)

  10. #10
    Member Tight Lines's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Campbell, CA
    Posts
    218

    Talking Tohatsu ! !

    Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Problem is everyone else it looking for in inexpensive used kicker, thinking seriously about just dropping 2 grand on a new Tohatsu 4 stroke. At 82lbs itís the lightest 4 stroke around.
    Tohatsu, Nisan, and Merc 9.9's are all made by Tohatsu. I ordered a Tohatsu from a place back east and they called and were out of them but would send me a Nisan for the same price (was $200 more). That was fine with me!! Runs great!!



    OB1.jpg
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •