Thread: Air dropping gear?

Default Air dropping gear?

I have an upcoming bear hunt that is going to require our gear being air dropped in. Just wondering if any of you have used this method before and if so how you packaged your gear?

No we will not be dropping rifles optics etc that can break easily.

bronco...Yes, i have done many air drops out of super subs. Always thrilling for me to lean out an open side window/door and push out 5 gal buckets, tents, whatever. I was fortunate and never had a proble. Other have had fuel leak one time, and another time the salt ruptured. I have heard one or two instances where black bears got to the food prior to the guides/hunters. But i was always on my air drop within four hours and never had my stuff raided. One time i had a very difficult time locating my tent! So make sure your air drops are of a color that you can see, like in a blue tarp. You might consider winding some flagging tape around the "drops" or buckets. Even at 35 miles per hour, about as slow as a cub can fly, it was somtimes hard to anticipate the exact moment to push em out, trying to guess the trajectory and "bounce factors".

I know I do not really need to tell you this, but make sure you burn anything you are not going to pack out. I have many times found broken up white plastic buckets out in sheep country, left behind from past air drops.

But it does sound as if you are gonna have a great adventure!

Dennis

have a little experience with airdropping bronco...some things work others dont. liquids dont work well...have never been able to get gas to drop well in sealed containers, metal or plastic...they always burst...what all are you planning to drop? food stuffs should do allright in a dry bag sealed tight or something of the sort. theres a bit of an art to dropping with precision, so if your pilots not familiar with it, get him to flag it as aktruedventure noted...otherwise you might be hiking all over the place looking for your stuff. packed tents bust up upon impact sometimes, problems mostly being with the poles and stakes messing up the tent material on impact. all the obvious soft stuff can be dropped with little problem...ie, duffels with clothes, game bags, tarps...the obvious potential bombs ought to be avoided...ie pressurized propane, and fuel.

also, if your in a brushy area, good idea to be there when the drop is made...that way you know where everything falls.

Thanks for the help and ideas guys, I am flying with Seahawk on the south west end of Kodiak. Not sure what aircraft but pretty sure it is larger so will be going a bit faster than a cub but will have an experienced pilot so that might help. Seahawk stated they are familiar with doing air drops and have done them in my planned location previously. It is on open alpine at the headwaters of a river. Not sure if I will be in the plane during the drop or if I will be walking to pick up zone at that time. I do know I will not be on landinz zone when the drop occurs due to the flight distance and cost associated with it.

I was planning on dropping as much gear as possible since we will be walking 4-5 miles from the lake to there.

Tent minus poles and stakes
    Food
    Clothing
    Raft and accesories
    Liquid stove fuel hopefully?

Have any of you guys tried using the MSR and like aluminum bottles to drop Coleman fuel with? They are fairly sturdy and have a strong cap.

Using buckets won't be an issue since we will be in a raft from there on plus it will help keep things dry which is an added bonus as well as making decent camp chairs. I like the idea of screwing the lids on!

From the description of the landing zone it should be easy finding gear but Murphy is always at work so I will be sure to add flagging tape or some other sort of highly visible marking system to each item.

Thanks!