Thread: Air Drops of gear?

Default Air Drops of gear?

I have an upcoming bear hunt that is going to require our gear being air dropped in. Just wondering if any of you have used this method before and if so how you packaged your gear?

No we will not be dropping rifles optics etc that can break easily.

Have done a lot of air drops. We always used the nylon sacks for food, garbage bags inside, tie the top of bag real well, add a good length of survey tape streamer so you can see it if there or find it on the ground.

Have had just a couple of bags break open or get impaled when landing on tree staubs. Not sure what type of aircraft, if it's a cub and only the pilot, the sacks will have to be fairly light enough he can reach behind seat and toss out. We used to do drops with a 185, remove the door, and passenger tosses out the bags, they can be fifty lbs in that case.

Skill of pilots varies greatly and drop zone can thus be fairly wide <grin>. We always put a blue tarp or something on the ground to mark the drop spot. Good luck,

Plastic 5 gallon buckets, with the lids duct taped shut. If dropping salt, make sure you double bag it inside the bucket. The mass of it makes for a thud. Clothes, game bags and food are easily dropped using buckets. Larger items like tents and such, need a duffle bag with a drag shute of sorts, doesn't take much a tarp roped at the corners will slow things down.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I have used the 5 gal bucket method with success. Painted the buckets orange and used self taping screws to screw shut the lids and put every thing inside in a game bag. Do not recommend Coleman fuel/white gas in same bucket with food items - I can assure you it is not a wise choice!! "Tarp target" sounds like a good idea as does drag shute.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I like the bucket method, except that now you are stuck with a bucket(s) to deal with. Only a problem if your on foot I suppose..

We've dropped food, clothes, etc. just in duffel bags without much damage. Alot depends on how low/slow the pilot can be when he pitches it overboard.

We even had a chainsaw and a raft dropped one time. Dropping a 14' rubber raft from a super cub must have been a little challenging!!

I do know that when dropping a gunny sack full of bolts and other heavy items, be careful not to drop it on the recipient's cabin roof!!! You will find it in the crawl space!!!! I wasnt there to witness that one, but it must have been interesting

I have done an air drop. We dropped everything we could not carry in one trip, even dropped the SOAR Levitator and the oar saddles and oars. Liquids like to explode, keep them full and try to double bag them. Had very little damage, did have peanut butter and koolaid all over my entire food cache. Wrapped everything in orange and padded it like crazy. Had one heck of a bonfire that night with all the trash.

Not the greatest video, hard to video and stay out of the way. LOL Fun stuff for sure, had more fun than when I did it with UNCLE SAM...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX6lgwVqmKA

Steve

Thanks for the help and ideas guys, I am flying with Seahawk on the south west end of Kodiak. Not sure what aircraft but pretty sure it is larger so will be going a bit faster than a cub but will have an experienced pilot so that might help. Seahawk stated they are familiar with doing air drops and have done them in my planned location previously. It is on open alpine at the headwaters of a river. Not sure if I will be in the plane during the drop or if I will be walking to pick up zone at that time. I do know I will not be on landinz zone when the drop occurs due to the flight distance and cost associated with it.

I was planning on dropping as much gear as possible since we will be walking 4-5 miles from the lake to there. Should take 2 hours to get there which isn't bad as long as a curious brownie doesn't get there first.

I am planning on dropping the following items
    Tent minus poles and stakes
    Food
    Clothing
    Raft and accesories
    Liquid stove fuel hopefully?

Have any of you guys tried using the MSR and like aluminum bottles to drop Coleman fuel with? They are fairly sturdy and have a strong cap.

Using buckets won't be an issue since we will be in a raft from there on plus it will help keep things dry which is an added bonus as well as making decent camp chairs. I like the idea of screwing the lids on!

From the description of the landing zone it should be easy finding gear but Murphy is always at work so I will be sure to add flagging tape or some other sort of highly visible marking system to each item.

Thanks!

Cool video - brings back memories of flat land hunts. My air drop was at 5200' so we were VERY particular about the drop zone since we didn't want everything rolling to the bottom of the mountain! Good luck on your hunt. MAKE SURE YOUR FUEL BOTTLES ARE TOPPED OFF FULL TO THE TOP IF YOU DROP THEM.
    Last edited by shphtr; 07-29-2010 at 16:19. Reason: additional recommendation
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I dropped fuel in the MSRs and had no issues. I would make sure they are full, when they hit the liquid inside compresses the air inside generating a lot of pressure which can cause the cap or lid to fail.

Sounds like a great hunt, hope you share when you get back.

Be safe

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Thanks for the help and ideas guys, I am flying with Seahawk on the south west end of Kodiak. Not sure what aircraft but pretty sure it is larger so will be going a bit faster than a cub but will have an experienced pilot so that might help. Seahawk stated they are familiar with doing air drops and have done them in my planned location previously. It is on open alpine at the headwaters of a river. Not sure if I will be in the plane during the drop or if I will be walking to pick up zone at that time. I do know I will not be on landinz zone when the drop occurs due to the flight distance and cost associated with it.

I was planning on dropping as much gear as possible since we will be walking 4-5 miles from the lake to there. Should take 2 hours to get there which isn't bad as long as a curious brownie doesn't get there first.

I am planning on dropping the following items
    Tent minus poles and stakes
    Food
    Clothing
    Raft and accesories
    Liquid stove fuel hopefully?

Have any of you guys tried using the MSR and like aluminum bottles to drop Coleman fuel with? They are fairly sturdy and have a strong cap.

Using buckets won't be an issue since we will be in a raft from there on plus it will help keep things dry which is an added bonus as well as making decent camp chairs. I like the idea of screwing the lids on!

From the description of the landing zone it should be easy finding gear but Murphy is always at work so I will be sure to add flagging tape or some other sort of highly visible marking system to each item.

Thanks!
    If the drop zone is where I think it is - we made drops there for years. Good trail most of the way in.
    For the fuel (alcohol), we used quarter oil containers that had been cleaned. Just fill them to within about two inches of the top and squeeze before tightening the lid. Usually used an onion sack for the container to hold the fuel "bottles".
    If you are dropping the raft, I would pack the pump and not airdrop.
    Count your bags! Drop no more than four during each pass; and set them all up on the "tussocks" before moving them.
    PM me if I can be of any help or call - 907-457-4736.
    Also helps have some type of attachments for the soles of your hip boots - may have to walk the raft for the first couple of miles if the river is low. The stream bed can be pretty "slimy".
    If you are using five gallon buckets might consider lining them with a heavy trash bag - fill and tie - then secure the lid with "duct" tape.
    Good luck on your hunt - a GREAT AREA! Playing "bomber" in the back of that "beaver" is fun!
    Joe (Ak)
    (Never had a problem with fuel dropped in the plastic bottles - HOWEVER - it is important they be filled part way - then compressed before the lid is tightened.) Again best of luck!