Thread: Polaris 425 Expedition Troubleshooting Question

Default Polaris 425 Expedition Troubleshooting Question

My ATV over heated the other day while plowing my driveway. It dawned on me that the Fan assist wan't activating. In simple terms, the fan never came on to help cool the liquid cooled engine.

Any advice?

Steve

If you follow the wires from the fan you will probbaly find where they run into a thermo coupler type of switch that closes from the engine heat and then turns on your fan. Maybe a wire is loose or the switch or fan is bad. I would first try to bypass the switch by splicing in a wire to see if the fan comes on with power to it.
    Some people by pass the switch all the time and wire in a switch and mount it close to the headlight pod so they can turn the fan on all the time and leave it on.
    Just remember to turn it off when you are done to prevent draining the battery or connect it to a wire that only has power when the key is on.
    Tennessee

Default Fuse

I assume you checked your fuse box for a burned fuse. My Arctic Cat 500 blows fuses when I go through deep water and the cooling fan goes under water causing too much amperage draw. I wired a switch on my front fender to shut off the fan when I am going through deep water. I realize that you aren't going through deep water now but you may have last fall and not even realized your fan is not working until you put the load on it while plowing snow.

I've replaced the thermal sensor that Snowwolfe refers to twice do to overheating on my '00 Sportsman 500. Locate this sensor near the bottom of your radiator then follow the wires up to where it makes connection to the radiator fan. Disconnect it and jump the fan motor with 12v on one lead and a good ground to the other lead to see if it runs. If it does, it is probably the sensor. If not, the radiator fan is is probably bad.

Default Thanks Guys

You guys are great, I'll try these suggestions and tell you what I found.

Steve