Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomatoes

Default Tomatoes

I have 4 tumbler tomato plants, A determinate cherry type. There are lots of green tomatoes on them and tons of blossoms. Some of the tomatoes have been on the plants for about 50 days and have been full size now for at least a couple of weeks. None of the tomatoes have turned red yet and I am wondering if there is anything I can do to help them out or should I just wait a while. The weather has been cloudy for most of the past couple weeks but the foercast is for mostly sunny warm weather for the next week, will this help?
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

tomatoes ripen better in a greenhouse because the walls trap the ethylene gas produced, resulting in higher ethylene concentrations which causes the fruit to ripen faster. Also it is warmer in a GH which speeds up metabolism and ripening it sounds like yours are outside though I am not certain. You could loosely wrap some poly around them to keep ambient temp. a bit warmer and also to increase the ethylene concentration. They will ripen faster but is the effort worth it? i don't know. You could put a bunch of bananas nearby too.

tomatoes take a long time to ripen, it's just the way they work. we aren't exactly in the tomato belt for outside growing.

harvested green they will ripen, and others will size up a bit faster, but you cannot improve on the flavor of vine ripened.

usually around the 1st of august I pinch the tomato plant tops completely off, and don't allow them to set any more flowers, because the fruit on these new flowers won't set and ripen before freeze down. Another trick to ripen tomatoes faster is, on long flower sets, with 20 flowers or however many, pinch a bunch of them off at the end and the remainder will grow more rapidly, larger, and ripen sooner.

Differnt hybrids/types ripen at different rates of speed, too.

Sounds like they're ripening fine, putting on the final touches, and will turn red when they're ready to do so.

I've had several types that do very well out-doors, but many take their time outside, and slow down in ripening, as well as decreased production.

Greenhouses are nice, and help in many ways, but not all 'maters need 'em.

Be patient, and you'll be eating 'maters in your garden, salt shaker in-hand, in no time. There's likely still lots of time left in this growing season.

I've got a watermelon for which I'm about ready to hire folks to sit around in a circle to chant to it, etc. All good things in time.

If you have to harvest lots of green tomatoes this year, wrap them in some sort of semi-absorbent paper (we often use newspaper, though I'm not certain as to risks re. ink, processed paper, etc.), and place them in a single layer, side-by-side, either in a large paper bag, or, if you have LOTS and LOTS of them, we've used MRE boxes in the past. especially the older style, as they are more broad in the dimension of their base, and they haev the sleeves to keep them closed and styrdy. We've stakced upwards of 6 to 8 boxes on top of each other, and eaten ripe 'maters 'out of the box' well after the garden's frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by lynch View Post
    I have 4 tumbler tomato plants, A determinate cherry type. There are lots of green tomatoes on them and tons of blossoms. Some of the tomatoes have been on the plants for about 50 days and have been full size now for at least a couple of weeks. None of the tomatoes have turned red yet and I am wondering if there is anything I can do to help them out or should I just wait a while. The weather has been cloudy for most of the past couple weeks but the foercast is for mostly sunny warm weather for the next week, will this help?
    Tomatoes take FOREVER to ripen. I have currant tomatoes that are taking weeks to even blush. This pruning idea may work, and you are not hurting your plants. Try this on one plant only. Over the next couple of days pinch off all non-opened flower bunches and non fruiting suckers. Why? Tomatoes that set this late in the season may not grow enough by first frost. Suckers are the shoots that grow between an existing tomato branch and the stem. Prune off the branches up to the first set of tomatoes. Prune off any really big leaves. This may stress your plant into producing ripe fruit faster. Or you can buy some cheap visqueen and put your tomatoes in a hoop house made from willow branches to heat things up. Either way I hope your tomatoes ripen.

for a variety of tomatoes that will ripen EARLY and OFTEN, I have found nothing better than the variety 'glacier' which does just fine out of doors, though better in a hot house. my favorite cherry is sun gold.

attached photo was a glacier vine on July 07, with a handful of ripe tomatoes from july 21. They do not get all that large, maybe the size of a plum, but perfect for sauce, or eating raw and oh how they yield. we don't have a single ripe tomato from any of our other varieties yet. Attachment 37112Attachment 37113

about this time of year it always is frustrating how tomatoes seem to just stop ripening and sit there. good time to go fishing!

I grew some heirlooms this year
    left is 4th july hybrid, first to ripen.
    left center Early girl (Alaska standard hybrid)
    Right center sophies choice (determinant out of canada) Right Spudakee (potato leaf) both heirlooms.
    Also 3 other heirlooms: not in picture an oxheart, Anna russian, A rutgers & an indian strip (very close to spudakee but regular leaf. & a pink brandy wine (cow lick)
    Sun gold for cherry size, very sweet good tomato.
    Have been eating lots of toms for 2 weeks.
    Anybody close want some heirloom seeds for next year??
    PM me, we'll hook up. Mat valley

The last couple of weeks have been nice and my tomatoes have been getting red. Thanks for all the advice guys.

This is a great thread!
    Lynch, can you post pictures of your toms?

I am having issues with my toms this year, too. I am thinking that I got a late start on them and I am thinking about covering them and lighting them up like I did last year to greenhouse them.

andweav, do you really suggest cutting the tops off them completely right now? How about the rest of the leaves part of the vine?

I've has success from other items in our garden this year, but toms seem to be really taking their time.
    Lurker.

Mine are just beguining to ripen. I suspect that I will harvest the first ones this weekend.

Mine taste really good, the only problem I will have is that there are so many, I won't be able to keep up with them, lol.

Rock Skipper, I'll take your tomatoes from you!!

I have cut the tops of my tom plants and we will see how it goes. They have plumped up over the weekend and now I am ready for them to start to ripen.

Maybe I started too late? :\
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Mine taste really good, the only problem I will have is that there are so many, I won't be able to keep up with them, lol.
    I ended up with 25 tom plants in the greenhouse--beefsteaks, cherry and roma, mostly roma.
    I started 40 plants from seed but gave away about 15 to friends and neighbors. I was overwhelmed with growing toms.

They are all going nuts now. Pruning shooters is important, it encourages ripening bigtime.
    My goal is 100 quart jars of sauce and salsa this year. I think I'll make it!
    ")
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    This is a great thread!
    Lynch, can you post pictures of your toms?

Here are two of my toms.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was eating some of our Gold/Golden Nugget hybrid yesterday; a favorite for medium-sized cherry tomatoes when growing outside is necessary. They're -way- sweet, and more a rich orange in color when really ripe.

Haven't pruned any runners this year, as I haven't been able to stay on top of that and manage every thing else. Barely kept up with the plucking blossoms off of the potatoes this year, but anticipate LOTS of 'green' 'maters to ripen in boxes.

Spuds are awesome, and, of the 10 different sources of 7 hybrids, we've already more or less determined what will be planted again next year, and what won't.

Thanks CO, but I think I'm going to cook up some stews with the leftover moose that was giving to me last year and try my hand at canning.
    Its amazing that after all these years of hunting up here, I never canned anything, it was always the womens department, lol,

Guess you're never to old to learn tho, lol.

Anybody got a direct link to heaven so I can ask Mom how she did it? lol. Bless her soul, she was the best.

Rock, I have no claim on any direct comms to heaven and your mom , But I've done a little canning in my day and can lend a hand if you need some advice or a recipe.

Doubt I will get any more vine ripened tomatoes this year. It is supposed to freeze tonight and tomorrow. Don't know if it will finish off the greenhouse or not, but with the cooler nights nothing is gonna do a whole lot more growing now I think. But there will be plenty to ripen in a box and lots to make some sliced green fresh pack tomato pickles.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Grandma Lori,
    It's been freezing here, too.
    We've had 4 days under 32 degrees and it's still August. :O
    I checked my toms today and I have one out of my whole garden that's starting to rippen. Hopefully they all start rippening quicker!
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Grandma Lori,
    It's been freezing here, too.
    We've had 4 days under 32 degrees and it's still August. :O
    I checked my toms today and I have one out of my whole garden that's starting to rippen. Hopefully they all start rippening quicker!
    They should be just perfect about the 7th.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    They should be just perfect about the 7th.
    Indeed they should be!
    Lurker.

The tomatoes are FINALLY ripening in our greenhouse. I have tiny currant size to a large yellow jubilee. All ripe and delicious.
    IMG_1584.JPGIMG_1590.JPG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast