Thread: 30-06 where would be without it

Default 30-06 where would be without it

I just got to wondering one night. What would hunting be like if the 30-06 was not invented? It has been around for 104 years and it is still going strong. Everyone that I know has at least one rifle in this caliber if not a few. If you ask someone what my first rifle should be, most everyone says get a 06. This caliber has won wars, and taken countless animals in the field. There are countless other calibers based off the 30-06: 25-06, 6.5-06, 270, 280, 338-06, 35 whelen, there might be more I just canít think of them off the top of my head. Where would we be if this round was not invented? I also got to thinking if the 300 savage would have won the machine gun contract and not the 308, would everyone be shooting 300 savages and then basing other calibers off that and not the 308. Are any of the new Short Mags, really going to last as long as these proven and tried cartridges? I'm sure that is has been debated before, but I find it interesting.

Probably stuck with the ancient 45/70 at 150 yrs old or the nasty 30/40 Graig
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

It's too disturbing to contemplate! Love the venerable cartridge.

I'm thinking that at least the WSM line of short mags is here to stay. I hope I'm still shooting my 325WSM in 30 years....well because that means I'll still be shooting when I'm a very old man

As much as anybody tries nobody can ever undo what the 06 has accomplished in the shooting world. I could get rid of several of my rifles buy just an 06 and still have the spectrum covered(but I ain't going to). It is the perfect one gun cartridge!

I'm with you in admiration for the old '06. It is a truly great cartiridge that really has done it all in our neck of the woods. Those of us who handload have enjoyed not only an abundance of brass but a huge selection of bullet choices and weights for an extremely wide range of hunting applications and game. It is a cartridge by which most others are compared. I will always own at least one!

Doc

If I get to old to shoot the 45/70 with peep I reckon I'd trade it for an 06 and 4X scope and case of 220gr corloks
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The only problem I have with the Ol .06 is... that I only have one. .

One of these days, one of these guys is gonna get stuck...

You'd think that they would at least get tired!

I'm sitting here at the computer in my office tent (it's well a well equipped tent) and my 1 yr old is playing with a pile of 30-06 empties behind me. Got to start them off right you know.

Yk

Grew up shooting it and can do it well enough to where it feeds me and my family. My boys used it last year and will again this fall, I used it over the winter on a moose hunt and it does its job well. GF bought herself a .270, I know she'll love it in the end when she shoots her first moose with it.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Does anyone know if the first wildcat (actual brass dimension change) was on an 06 case, or was it something before?
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Well, I guess we would have been shooting 7mm and 8mm Mausers...both fine cartridges in their own right. While I have a great love for the -06, I think it's pretty silly to think that we would have been lost without it.

Some of the first wildcats came out in the 1890's ... one of the first I believe was a .22 call wilcat on the .22-20 SingleShot. (not the .22-30 WCF)
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

The 30-06, it is what it is, so what can one say except "The 30-06" it speaks for it's self.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have never owned one and i doubt i ever will... When i was younger and my friends were trying to get mw to buy a "better gun" they kept pushing the 30-06. I think that is what soured me to the 06, because i went out and did some research and from my own findings (as well as talking to a few others, and i mean a few) the 338 win mag was the better North American rifle... just a bit more "oomph" to it than the 06 and like the 06 it can be handloaded to do what ever one needs it to.

besides... i always liked being different. I was the only one in my home town in NY (still am as far as i know) that had a 338 win mag there. Everone likes the 7mm mags.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

It wouldn't matter, my guess we all would be speaking german and have worse gun control laws.......

Ron

Oddly enough I don't really care for an '06... despite that fact, I've taken more game with an '06 than all of my other rifles...combined.

When you look at all the really great cartridges the popularity of the '06 has doomed to obscurity over the last century in this country, I'm pretty confident that we'd be shooting something pretty cool without the Springfield.- .280 Ross, 30 Newton, 300 Savage (loaded right), 318 WR (from the other side of the pond.) are all possibilities without resorting to the big pile of excellent metric cartridges.