Thread: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab w/ NIce Frame shoulder strap question

Default Mystery Ranch Crew Cab w/ NIce Frame shoulder strap question

I am looking at replacing my J104 with a more comfortable yet stronger pack.

How thick is the shoulder strap padding on the MR nice frame? How would you rate the comfort level of the nice frame and CC when loaded down with a 50+ lbs pack. I hunt remote country bivy style for deer and elk every year. In the next couple of years I may be able to hunt sheep in Alaska since I have some family moving up there. I know my J104 is not up for a Alaska DIY backpack sheep hunt. I also like a pack like the CC that works for a day pack slash meat hauler for day hunts.

The reason I ask is my J104 straps are the same straps the Eberlestock has on there day pack too. Which seem like the Just One straps are under padded. I know my pack really pulls at my shoulders when loaded with 40+ lbs. My buddy steals my pack too and says the same thing. We are both 6ft 2 and 6ft 3 maybe the lack of vertical adjustment causes the discomfort.

I am sure the Dragonfly fells a little better with the stronger frame sheet, but it still has the same straps as my J104. I have not been impressed with the barbarian featherweight straps either. The badlands 4500 straps seem better than the Just One's or the featherweight.

The pictures I have seen of the nice frame straps look quite a bit thicker around 2x thicker. I assume that the better straps and the nice frame would provide much more comfort than my current set up. But I have never had the chance to compare the two packs together. To further complicate things I have never seen a nice frame and CC either. What do you guys think am I putting to much emphasis on shoulder straps? I know there is more to a pack than just the straps but the MR package (frame,suspension,hip belt also looks way more padded) seems very nice. How does your MR preform on 3 to 9 day mountian bivy hunts?

What packs do you guys reccomend and why? Do you think the J104 is more comfortable than I do?

Thanks Gabe

I have been checking the site out for a while its a great site I am glad I signed up.

For an extended DIY AK sheep hunt hunt I would go with the MR 6500 but maybe more than you need back home? I would email Mark Seacat at markseacat@mysteryranch.com. He is the marketing director and the go to question guy for Mystery ranch. I think the straps are thinner than some external frames I have seen(barneys) but not uncomfortable with 80 + pounds to me. I like mine but pack is on the heavier side of packs

i just ordered a NICE 6500 and should get it soon. i can let you know what they are like. i am a former barney's freighter frame owner and have plenty of experience with other internal frame packs. i expect this pack to perform well from all the reviews and feedback I have read.

The padding on the CC isn't that thick. The beauty of it, is that it doesn't have to be. 50# is nothing in the CC. Load it smart and you will be comfortable. I have had upwards of 140# in my CC. 3 days is easy with a CC. 9 days and you're going to want a 6500 IMO.

I don't think that the padding is real thick on my CC but I feel it does not have to be. The pack really feels like it is part of your body. They have a great fit. I do feel that if you are packing a lot of gear in you should look at the 6500 though. The CC is great for packing in light (daypack) packing out heavy (loaded with meat :-).

A well designed pack does not need super thick straps to be comfy (My super lux Dan McHale pack has fairly thin shoulder and hip straps). Some manufacturers really just hide their poor design behind big pillow straps. I think the CC will do what you are asking it to do with aplomb. I have only used one once but my buddy who has lots of miles on his does not like the loadsling for heavier weight. (80+lbs) The Nice 6500 changes how the load lifters mount and seems to be quite a bit better when really heavy.

Got my pack in. Straps look like typical backpacking straps. not as beefy as the barney's straps. they're sending me a size medium yoke/harness to replace my small. my torso size and height fits into the small, but with a 42" chest, the padding on the front ends a little too soon. i've had the same problem b/c of my short stalking build with other packs. haven't loaded it down yet for a hike, but the pack looks great.