Thread: Suzuki DT30 Overheat Problem

Default Suzuki DT30 Overheat Problem

I have a Suzuki DT30 (1996) outboard that keeps over heating. I have changed out the rubber impeller, cleaned the passages, blew out the pee tube, & even took it to the lake instead of running it on the hose at home - It still overheats and nothing comes out the pee tube. Has anyone ever heard of this kind of problem with these motors. Im up for ideas.Up until this problem this motor has been GREAT
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Default Try inspecting/replacing the Tstat

I have also seen rubber bits of impeller, salt, and silt clog the cooling passages so check to make sure they are all clear. High pressure water pressed to the pickup tube, above the water pump, while the Tstat is out, will give you a good idea how your water flow is.

Running it in the lake or on the hose at home makes no difference... On the hose is even better because it is pressurized, and sometimes if you just let the hose run for a while without the motor on, water will come out the pee hole. So no need to take it to the lake! as far as your problem goes, I think Shannonamous is steering you in the right direction. Take L/U off, so that you can see the pickup tube, and maybe even pressurize from the top to the bottom. Since water is normally coming from the bottom to the top, try going from the top to the bottom with hose pressure and see if anything nasty comes out. I have seen things from wasps nests, mud dobbers (down south), sand/silt/rocks, to a perfect sized stick blocking the flow.. Good luck.

Try blowing the system out with air first, backwards. That way anything that went to a clog point may go out the way it went in.