Thread: AR off set rail ???

Default AR off set rail ???

I have a friend that would like to mount a scope on his DPMS AR and maintain the original sights. I have seen an off set base that attaches to a picatinny rail in the past. That would allow a scope to be mounted off to the left side but I haven't been able to find one to show him.

Any help and or a link would be appreciated.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Ameri...%20s%201in.htm
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/LaRue...201%20inch.htm

I don't know much about American Defense and their products, but imo, Larue Tactical is hard to beat.

Why would anyone want to mount a scope to the left on an AR, or any rifle for that matter? I wouldn't think it would be any good for accuracy.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Folding rear sight, QD scope base and you can leave the fixed front sight. It also depends on what he means by scope.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    Why would anyone want to mount a scope to the left on an AR, or any rifle for that matter? I wouldn't think it would be any good for accuracy.
    I agree with you but he is dead set on doing this. The rifle will only be accurate at one distance with the scope. Currently his AR looks like something you would see in Harlem. Every toy in the world is hanging off of it. I'm just trying to steer him in a direction away from my garage because I don't have the time or desire to come up with something that would fulfill his desires.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Folding rear sight, QD scope base and you can leave the fixed front sight. It also depends on what he means by scope.
    I've mentioned this set up but it was met with criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Ameri...%20s%201in.htm
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/LaRue...201%20inch.htm

I don't know much about American Defense and their products, but imo, Larue Tactical is hard to beat.
    Thanks for the links. I've found a couple of other bases that will mount to his rail and mount the scope off set. The only problem is to much eye relief. I'm hoping he gives up.

IMO, the only effective way to scope an AR is to have fold-down rear AND front sights. When you mount a scope high enough to clear the front sight, it is just too high above the bore to be effective. I tried it once and took it off right away when I realized that a scope zeroed at 200 yards was something like 6 inches low at 25 yards. Offset sounds really weird too, although the M1D Garand had an offset scope and seemed to work. I don't even like the "co-witnessing" setup we use in the military. I think if I HAD to scope an AR and it didn't have a fold down front sight, I would go with an ACOG. They seem to be high enough that it doesn't interfere too much.

The three gun guys use the scope mounted on top and a red dot to the side. It actually works really well, but my AR is purely a defense under 100 yard weapon so I just stick with the red dot.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    The three gun guys use the scope mounted on top and a red dot to the side. It actually works really well, but my AR is purely a defense under 100 yard weapon so I just stick with the red dot.
    I'm trying to talk him into a red dot for simplicity. Thanks for the reply's, I've offer my advice and provided a few links, time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    IMO, the only effective way to scope an AR is to have fold-down rear AND front sights. When you mount a scope high enough to clear the front sight, it is just too high above the bore to be effective. I tried it once and took it off right away when I realized that a scope zeroed at 200 yards was something like 6 inches low at 25 yards. Offset sounds really weird too, although the M1D Garand had an offset scope and seemed to work. I don't even like the "co-witnessing" setup we use in the military. I think if I HAD to scope an AR and it didn't have a fold down front sight, I would go with an ACOG. They seem to be high enough that it doesn't interfere too much.
    Anything above about 4x you no longer see the front sight. My preference is the lower 1/3 co-witness with a fixed front and rear and EoTech.