Thread: First time Minto for Pike

Default First time Minto for Pike

First time to ever do a flyin, going to be there Sat/Sun.
    I understand the cabin is just a lean-to with no water.

i'm a guest and haven't had a chance to figure out all that you would normally take on a trip like this. I know I have a 40# limit.

Anyone have a checklist they could share? I'd be MUCH appreciative!

steve

Make sure you have plenty of large daredevils. Red/white is usual the top producer and the bigger the lure the bigger the fish. Some of the mouse pattern flies can be fun once in a while also.

Aside from that your normal overnight gear. I never leave town without my .44, but that is just my preference.

Let me know how it goes, I was thinking about flying in there later in August.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Are you flying in with Marina Air? We flew in a couple weeks ago. All we took for food were some premade sandwiches, a camel back of water, and granola bars....we packed really light. After that, just sleeping bags, rod and reel (bring an extra just in case), plenty of tackle, and rain gear with relatively warm night clothes; and of course the .44. That was the extent of our pack.

Thanks guys. My wife set the up being nice to me and all, so the details are real thin. I have no idea who we are flying with. I only found out today we were going to Minto.

Thanks again for the info!

California, Prev: Idaho, Colorado, Alaska

Default weedless spoons and buzzbaits

I've had a lot of fun with trips to Minto. I have found that Johnson Silver Minnows and buzz / spinner baits with trailer hooks work outstanding for throwing and bringing through the grass at Minto. Look for the thin drainage / "creek" channels that connect the large backwater areas to the main stream channel. Those were my most productive areas, hands down. Wish you the best of luck and look forward to your post on how it went.

We had a great time. I had never been pike fishing before, so it was all new to me. Basically, the only thing they DIDN'T hit was the frogs. Everything else, especially spoons in silver or red/white, and topwater plugs, got nailed. I think of the 6 of us, most of us avg'd about a dozen, with one kid doing over 50 fish i'm sure. all were thrown back except for 2 that one of the party took home.

We flew in on a Beaver with Rick Gold of Marina Air. Great flight. Cabins and boats were provided. Lots of fun, would do it again.

Sounds like a great trip! I've been to Alexander a few times on day trips; can anyone chime in on a comparison between Alexander & Minto? It sounds like exactly the same type of fishing (shallow, weeds, etc.). There's cabins at Alexander but it'd be fun to stay overnight at one of those places; any preference of the two?
    Thanks, Jim

If you are flying with Rick from Marina Air keep in mind that he is particular about a few things. We call him Rick the Dick but he is actually a pretty nice guy. Wear hip waders with rubber soles (no felt). No big coolers especially if they have a handle. Put a trash bag over the basket of your net if you are taking one. Keep the fish out of the boat (he'll tell you that one for sure). If you fly in with him go to the first confluence near the cabin, then take a right to the next confluence. This seems to be where people do the best, but it is all pretty good around there. Marina Air is a good deal. You should check out his trips to his trout lakes as well.
    Last edited by woodman6437; 08-03-2010 at 09:04. Reason: I has bad grammer

Flew in with Rick today and had a blast. Lost count on how many fish we caught.

Funny, he didn't say anything about the fish in the boat (that i heard), but he did note that he would appreciate it if we would wash them out when we were done. When he picked us up, he said they hadn't been that clean since they were new. That was thanks to the guy I was with that set up the trip. He did a great job keeping us in line.