Thread: PWS Deer

Default PWS Deer

I'm going to take some time off to do a PWS deer hunt. Only problem is that if the weather kicks up, we won't be able to get the boat out and the days will be lost. Looking for a good back up plan for Blacktails. I've thought about hunting closer to Whittier - maybe trying the ATV trail out to shotgun cove, or taking the trail up to towards portage but don't know how viable that would be. Anyone have a good idea for a back up plan?

Default Deer near whittier

Don't think there are many deer if any on the portage trail.

How big is your boat? And what is your range?
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Boat is 28 feet but if it's blowing too hard I wouldn't want to take it far. Friends have had success on Knight & Esther so maybe there?

Send me a PM Dixiedog.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

A 28' is plenty big enough as long as you are in a protected anchorage. I have taken my 22' boat twice, went out in good weather, weathered a few storms, and came back in not so good weather. I am planning on heading out for a third deer hunt out of Whittier on Saturday, so far the weather forecast is favorable. It will be my son's 9 year birthday, we are going shrimping, fishing, and hunting, although this early in the year, hunting expectations for me are pretty low, however the island we are going to hunt isn't real tall so I think we have a fair chance