Thread: Critique my fly

Default Critique my fly

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050418.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	36995

This is a fly I tied up for silvers, plan on doing many in different colors and combos.

Nice!!!!
    Throw in a couple of turns of hot pink hackle for a collar and you have a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Nice!!!!
    Throw in a couple of turns of hot pink hackle for a collar and you have a winner.
    Was gonna say the same thing...seems contrasting colors work best IMO. Looks like a winner!

That dawg'll hunt.

You'll find though, if you put a collar of soft hackle (like Schlappen or mallard flank) in the front, it'll cause the marabou to pulse with the turbulence it creates. Tie one up with the soft hackle and swim both, side by side and I think you'll see what I mean with the fly in the water.... much more movement.

Feed back, we need feed back on your fishing these critters.

L

How's this? I changed it up with some contrast. Did one in solid pink and what solid black too. I'll do black with pink hackle as well as some other color combos.Attachment 36998
    Last edited by hunt_ak; 08-01-2010 at 16:31. Reason: Tried to make the link work....

The beauty of that fly is you can change the attraction by putting any color bead on the tippet and BAM, egg sucker. That will give you the contrast and control in the field... Nice Tie. Orange body with cream marabou and hackle and flesh, flesh, flesh...

George

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    How's this? I changed it up with some contrast. Did one in solid pink and what solid black too. I'll do black with pink hackle as well as some other color combos.Attachment 36998
    Try again Oh, Mossy one.
    The picture, she no worky.

Where is the eye of the hook? The reason I ask is if its downturned the fly will ride upside down thus leaving the overwing underneath.

It looks to me like you tied in the palmered hackle by the butt instead of the tip. If you tie it in by the tip the hackle fibers will taper towards the back, which I think looks better and will flow towards the back. This is how woolly buggers are tied.

Attachment 37033

Here's another try at the pic since some couldn't see it. I did tie the collar in by the butt, I didn't know that so thanks for the tip. The hooks I'm tying are looped up eyes. So will they ride up side down? I also didn't think about that.

Hmm not sure what's going on with the pics, I'm loading them the same way as I did the one below and it's not working.

Let's try this...

You could just tie in your eyes underneath the hook instead on top. Nasty looking fly, it should spank some silvers. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

You should be good if the hook eyes are turned up. Good looking fly, let er rip!

Ya I didn't know about the eyes so I filled up the sink and tied some line to one and it sits right in the water with the hook down. Man it looks awesome when you twitch it through the water!

having it ride hook down is not always the right way to go. If they ride hook up you will catch bottom much less often.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGrayling View Post
    having it ride hook down is not always the right way to go. If they ride hook up you will catch bottom much less often.
    When your "testing" the fly in the water, you might stick you head in their and grab it with your mouth to test the "feel". Give that line a quick jerk and you can make sure the materials aren't getting in the way of the point..... ; )

In all seriousness, when fishing a new (steelhead) fly, I'll always take a look at in the water and watch how it looks in the water.... it's certainly changed how I tie my marabous up.....

L

Well I gave some of these guys a shot today and was happy with how they held up and ran through the water. I thought they looked good in the water. I did find it odd that all the ones I used ran with the hook down except one and it ran upside down. They are all the same hooks out of the same package, tied the same way. Hmmm? It caught a fish so I'm not complaining.

I was fishing a new spot and there were pinks, silvers, and chums mixed in. You could see them and the water was real clear. The silvers wouldn't take anything, neither would the chums. The pinks took it occasionally but not often. The pinks wouldn't bite anything I through at them, with a few exceptions.