Thread: Electric Trolling Motor Question

Default Electric Trolling Motor Question

Minncota or Motorguide. Problems? Known Issues? Which one should I go with? Thanks

Ron

Ron,
    I can't attest to the reliability of the motorguide since I've never used them but my old man has run minnkota's on his walleye boats for the last 20+ years and never a problem, and they were run hard. I've personally owned 2, 1 bow mount and 1 transom with no problems either so I'd say you can't go wrong with them.

You can't go wront with either. I have had both and have never had a problem with either. The minkota's tend to run just a touch cheaper, but not enought usually to make much difference.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I have been thinking about adding a trolling motor on my riverboat, for those fishing trips when I am drifting on the river and just need to make a adjustment now and then. I think a trolling motor would work great.

I have two batteries and figured on getting a 12 volt model to connect to the "house" battery, I would isolate it so I know the main would start when ready.

The question is, will I be able to charge up the "house" battery sufficiently when I make the 30 minute run back to camp?

I know its just a amps out & amps in math problem, but is their someone with experience that knows the answer?
    Thanks