Thread: Another Drift boat question

Default Another Drift boat question

All,

I looked in the archives and did not find this discussion--and probably I am just not good enough on a computer to find it, but:

I want a drift boat. I am afraid that I would be limited to just the Kenai and Kasilof Rivers though. Is this a relatively true thought? I know that a raft and cataraft are more versatile, and I have read a bunch about glass vs. alum, this brand vs. that, etc. I just want to know if I buy a drift boat, am I stuck on two rivers, or can I float others as well?

Thanks for the help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by toby.davis1 View Post
    All,

I looked in the archives and did not find this discussion--and probably I am just not good enough on a computer to find it, but:

I want a drift boat. I am afraid that I would be limited to just the Kenai and Kasilof Rivers though. Is this a relatively true thought? I know that a raft and cataraft are more versatile, and I have read a bunch about glass vs. alum, this brand vs. that, etc. I just want to know if I buy a drift boat, am I stuck on two rivers, or can I float others as well?

Thanks for the help!!!
    I'm pretty sure people drift them in the Gulkana. Add one more to the list...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Maybe 1 or 2 more, but that's about it! Drift boats are pretty much one trick ponies, but they do it well. Yes rafts and cats are way more versatile, but they don't do anything great...at least fishing wise in my opinion! With the right inflatable you can get by with one boat, but will have to make sacrifices. Drifters don't fit well in Cubs or without road access, so you might end up buying 2 boats, but at least each one will be the best for the job. If I was fishing the K or other drift boat compatible rivers exclusively, I'd do it in a drift boat every time.

Alot of you know me on here. I have a 2 person cat and have loved it for 5 years. I did just buy a new drift boat. After 5 years on the kenai and kasilof I wanted the upgrade of more room, an outboard and the comfort factor for my wife and I. Also i can fish 3 people in it. Am I selling my cat. Nope. The saying is true, Your really need 5 to 6 boats to have a boat for everything up here
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

It does vary
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Default two rivers, but different parts of the season

I had a drift boat for a few years and loved it. Even though it was just on two rivers, there was plenty of variety to keep me happy and learning. Early season upper Kenai runs. May and June on the Kasilof pulling gear for kings. Hit the June opener on Skilak lake for trout. July on Kasilof and Kenai (drift-only days) for kings. Fall upper Kenai runs. Kenai canyon runs with the outboard. Skilak outlet again in October for great trout fishing.

If you want to fish for kings on the Kasilof and Kenai without a motor, a drift boat is the only way to go.

I had the same conundrum and finally settled on an Aire/Outcast PAC 1400. It doesn't have quite the room a drift boat has, but even my buddies who own drift boats are amazed at how much like one it rows. For me, it satisfies all the requirements. I can fish myself and 2-3 other people, I can float nearly any river in the state I desire, and with the fishing frame, the leaning supports are stout enough that everyone can stand and cast comfortably. The really nice thing is that I can throw it in the back of my truck and still tow the camper. (and hopefully someday it will go in the back of an airplane, but I'm still working on that one)

Now, all that being said....If I had all the money in the world, I'd still buy a drift boat too, just because it would be so darn easy to hook-up and go fishing.

In regard to fishing only two rivers, you just have to remember which rivers you're talking about here. I've been fly-fishing from a raft for several years now and I've been perfectly content with the upper and middle Kenai.

Remember too, that there are many lakes around with good fishing, many of which don't allow outboard motors. Rafts and drift boats both work perfectly well to row around smaller lakes looking for trout, pike, etc.