Thread: Snare support wire??

Question Snare support wire??

Okay, well ive never actually snared before..only used footholds and coni's, i bought about 4 dozen snares (3/32) and i looked but couldnt find what too use to hold them to a tree etc. ive heard #9 wire but will this hold coyote, fox? or can you only use the wire to support how the snare hangs? and input would really help, thanks

You can anchor #9 wire to a tree or whatever and it will hold even a wolf if done correctly. One of the keys to quick dispatch is entanglement. Another is anchoring the wire so that it self tightens at the wrap. There is more info than you can shake a stick at regarding snaring at trapperman dot com, head over to the wilderness forum and do some searching around.

Coyote and fox on #9 wire is a no brainer, if done correctly. I sometimes anchor the snare cable itself and sometimes with #9 wire, it depends on the location I'm trying to snare and the distance to a suitable anchor. When using #9 wire try to anchor high and leave slop in the loop around the tree so it can spin when possible (at least for wolves). If anchoring to clumps of small trees (alders/willows, etc) anchor as low as possible and tie it off TIGHT..(that is to avoid critters chewing the anchor off below the wire attachment.)

Good luck. What part of the state are you trapping?

Thanks that answers it all...
    and the mat-su valley, for part of the season and kodiak the last half.
    kodiak have to many fox i usually just stick to foot hold but would like to try snaring there too

3/32 is pretty big cable for fox and so is #9 wire. I use #11 wire with 1/16 cable for fox/ lynx and a fast lock.

I agree with thunder chicken on the cable and wire sizes for fox/lynx. 1/16" cable is pretty marginal IMO for coyotes though, some would disagree. Personally, I like 5/64 1x19 cable for coyotes. 1/16" would work fine I think if you had good entanglement all the time. And 1/16" is small enough that foot caught moose can normally break it at the lock.

Which is another point, lbtrapper. It sounds like you are an experienced trapper, but just in case, keep moose habitat in mind when snaring. There are a few methods to avoid snaring moose, and with 3/32" cable you will need to use one or more of them...cut locks, breakaways, avoiding willows and moose browse..etc.

Thunderchicken, what kind of locks are you using? I've been using the surelocks but not entirely satisfied with dispatch times.

i am ordering some from the snare shop simmiler to the northern fox snare but big enough for yotes its gona be 5' #9 wire then a 12in loop of 5/64 with cam lock.

I agree with thunder chicken #11 wire is all I use for fox. It is much cheaper and comes in nice compact rolls that are easy to carry. I only use #9 wire on wolves and dkwarthogs discriptions of how to tie things off are right on the money.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

thanks for the imput everyone..
    these are just snares i got for free from a wolf trapper out of kenai....

this is abit off topic but another question i had was, can you use muskrat for fox, coyote bait? i have alot of muskrat from trapping this spring and some beaver from kodiak...

Yes you can use both muskrat and beaver for bait for canine. I have snared a lot of fox on large bait piles that always have some beaver in them with snares set in the vacinity. Muskrats will catch them in snow holes/ dirt holes as well as bait pile and cubbies
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

thanks otterman, you were alot of help