Thread: Float Hunt Planner.

Default Float Hunt Planner.

I am looking for some names of people or companies that can help plan a float caribou hunt for 2011. I would like to float sometime in August and willing to go anywhere from the Brooks to the slope. I have further ideas but need someone who has information, is credible, and can help me plan this out.

Any suggestions please post or PM me.
    Thanks.

I would recommend the owner of this site Michael Strahan. Mike is a great guy and I'm sure he can help you out.

http://web.me.com/strahanak/Site/Home.html

Steve

MNAK08,
    Your next best option is to simply ask the forum members to help you plan your hunt. All of us experts will be happy to guide you through the process. So......

1)What are wanting to kill in addition to one or two caribou? Wolf? Wolverine? Griz?
    3) What area of AK between the Brooks range and the slope (?) are you wanting to travel to and float?
    4) Do you have your own equipment like rafts and other associated hunting gear?
    2)Are you willing to spend $$$, or are you looking for something great-4-free?

As an experienced forum member/reader, you know we B credible.
    Confidentiallity is almost guaranteed.
    We are here for you!

dennis

I thought the Brookes Range turned into the North Slope... Are you a bow hunter? Do you want to fly in?

Default +1

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I would recommend the owner of this site Michael Strahan. Mike is a great guy and I'm sure he can help you out.

Steve
    I have used mike and would recommend him as a first choice. You won't find a more detail oriented planner. His book on the subject is a must!!

Default busted links

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

Steve
    There seem to be many broken links on that site that if working would provide some really cool information.

Mike S., are you aware of this? Let me know if it would help and I could turn a tool I have here loose on your site and send you the report it generates that would show this type of thing, and more.

Thanks for the feedback. I have tried to contact Michael Strahan, but did not receive a response. He might be out in the field. I will continue to try and narrow down my search of rivers and GMU. What I am thinking is to fly in and caribou early August before I have to go back to school for the school year. This limits me in zones that have caribou open that time of year. I have a 14ft. self bailer and am working on talking my wife into joining me. I am leaning towards the Canning River. But need to talk more to a biologist to see if the heard is even close to there that time of year.

As you can tell I have some direction, but I really am just shooting from the hip at this point. Thanks again for all the help and I am sure I will be back with more questions.

lostcreek@ak.net
    Quote Originally Posted by MNAK08 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I have tried to contact Michael Strahan, but did not receive a response. He might be out in the field. I will continue to try and narrow down my search of rivers and GMU. What I am thinking is to fly in and caribou early August before I have to go back to school for the school year. This limits me in zones that have caribou open that time of year. I have a 14ft. self bailer and am working on talking my wife into joining me. I am leaning towards the Canning River. But need to talk more to a biologist to see if the heard is even close to there that time of year.

As you can tell I have some direction, but I really am just shooting from the hip at this point. Thanks again for all the help and I am sure I will be back with more questions.
    Hello MN,

For starters, welcome to Outdoors Directory! Dennis is correct that there is a lot of wisdom here on this site. I encourage you to use it as a free resource to get started on planning your hunt. I am more than happy to help as well, and am surprised to hear that you were not able to contact me. My email address is <lostcreek@ak.net> and you can reach me on my cell phone at 1 (907) 229-4501. Give a shout and let's get started on this. I generally provide a lot of free info over the phone, but of course I do commercial hunt planning as well.

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    There seem to be many broken links on that site that if working would provide some really cool information.

Mike S., are you aware of this? Let me know if it would help and I could turn a tool I have here loose on your site and send you the report it generates that would show this type of thing, and more.
    Thanks for the heads-up, and for the offer to help! I'll take a look at that and get back with you if I require additional assistance. It's been a while since I looked at that site and it appears some things have moved... I'll have to update the links and such.

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post

Okay, I've gone completely through my consultation site from top to bottom and added some new stuff that I think will be of interest. One thing that folks might find useful is a chart I added that links the 350 +/- rivers I could find that someone has either written about or produced a DVD on in recent years, and linked all the resources available on them onto a single page. So if you're looking to float a river or creek in Alaska, you might have a look at the chart and related resources for more information. HERE'S THE LINK directly to the page; be sure to scroll down to see the chart. I also have all the Alaska River Logs and the rivers in the National Wild and Scenic Rivers program linked off of that page.

Hope it helps!

-Mike

Thanks mike that's a great link of info. All working fine but the topo maps wouldn't work. Bookmarked this link for sure.

Very nice cleanup job. Don't know if it was you or your guy that cleaned up those loose ends, but it was fine work that was done. PM sent on a couple of tiny things.

If your planning on hunting the Brooks/North Slope rivers, I would recommend Larry Bartlett as he is considered to be the best planner and expert for that geographical area. He spends alot of time floating those same rivers, and will do a really nice job setting everything up for you based on his own first hand experiences. Check his website out at pristineventures.com...... He's also written some awsome books on hunting in alaska, to include what many consider to be the best one available on float hunting in Alaska. Good Luck, and have a safe hunt!
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

Thanks all for the suggestions and the advice. I have been busy reading and studying up on possible rivers, as well as, getting some gear in order. I have been put a little off track due to the fact that the other 2 people in the group have backed out, that just leaves my wife and I. I am totally willing to tackle this just the two of us, but she has a few stipulations that I need to check on. One of which, she is not a hunter and would not be interested in hiking up to lookout points and glassing. In place she wants to bring our 1 year old lab up and hang out in camp with the dog. Now, with that being said, I thought initially that this was a great compromise, but now I am starting to think about all the additional logistics of a dog and communication between myself and camp. Strictly speaking, what is the options for transporting a dog into camp? I was thinking that some pilots fly sled dogs around the state so they are probably able to work with another dog, but I am not sure. Having floated and camped with the dog this summer I am also aware of the problems a dog can have with wildlife in and around camp. If this seems to be too big of a hurdle I will probably have to scratch it until 2012 as I am already getting behind the ball now.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Quote Originally Posted by MNAK08 View Post
    ...she wants to bring our 1 year old lab up and hang out in camp with the dog. Now, with that being said, I thought initially that this was a great compromise, but now I am starting to think about all the additional logistics of a dog and communication between myself and camp. Strictly speaking, what is the options for transporting a dog into camp? I was thinking that some pilots fly sled dogs around the state so they are probably able to work with another dog, but I am not sure...
    =SOME= dogs are accustomed to flying in a small aircraft, some are not. Depends on the temperament of the dog. You can imagine the havoc that could ensue with a loose dog jumping around in the aircraft, that wants out NOW. Of course, you could put him in one of those airline kennels, which you will need anyway to get the dog to the village from which you are flying. The kennel may not fit through the door of a small bush plane too. Depends on the aircraft. Of course you could also tranquilize the dog if you are comfortable with that...

Bottom line? You need to check with your charter operator to see if they'll allow it.

-Mike

I've been taking Sambo with me on float hunts for many years, and I've flown a variety of air charter service providers. I've never had one tell me no to flying with dogs. If they are well behaved and not a spaz, it should be a great experience for you and the pup.

Just my two cents, but tranqs are not the answer.
    Class V d(sammy relieved).jpg
    sammy_guards_antlers_on_pioneer_alert_pose.jpg