Thread: Coastal Brown Bear...

Default Coastal Brown Bear...

Has always been my dream to get a coastal brown bear. I've been to AK twice but live on the East Coast. I obviously have to have a guided hunt and am prepared to make the finacial investment to do so as it's something I've been saving up for for a while.

My questions are:
    1. Is there a "best" overall location to go? Kodiak, AK Penninsula, Dillingham, out of Homer?
    2. Time: Is Spring or Fall better? Are my chances of getting a bear greater at one or the other times?
    3. Any suggestions on finding an outfitter? There seems to be a lot out there. Some are 18,000 some are 11,000...what's the difference? There seem to be a lot on Cabelas.com...anyone had any experience with any of these or are there any outfitters you can recommend?
    4. Some sites say your sucess rate is 90% on average...is this pretty accurate or is it higher or lower?
    5. How many days do you recommend for the hunt...5, 8, 10, 15?

Thanks!

My questions are:
    1. Is there a "best" overall location to go? Kodiak, AK Penninsula, Dillingham, out of Homer?.....best location don't have an answer, right place right time is bear hunting. IF i had to choose i'd do kodiak for a spring hunt and the peninsula for the fall hunt. fall on the ak pen is a month earlier than kodiaks fall, so you'll see better fish in the water still. spring success on kodiak is higher than spring success on the ak pen.

2. Time: Is Spring or Fall better? Are my chances of getting a bear greater at one or the other times?.....see above.

3. Any suggestions on finding an outfitter? There seems to be a lot out there. Some are 18,000 some are 11,000...what's the difference? There seem to be a lot on Cabelas.com...anyone had any experience with any of these or are there any outfitters you can recommend?...lots of guys that get good bears, lots of guys that'll lie to you to get your money. the guys i've talked to that have cabela's book for them, don't really give them high praise. skip the bookie and go straight to the outfitter, much nice to actually have contact with a client before they show up. just call kodiak fish and game, talk to the bios john or larry and they'll name some outfitters who pull in good bears. as far as price difference goes, it could jsut be the difference in the cost of logistics to make it all happen.

4. Some sites say your sucess rate is 90% on average...is this pretty accurate or is it higher or lower?....i'd say thats awfully high, success on kodiak for non res hunters is about 70 percent.Some camps do really really well, and some will have a bad year now and then, or a couple in a row and some camps won't let you shoot bears under nine foot , some guys won't shoot something cause its not big enough, numbers hunters i call them. others shoot the first thing they see. all depends on how much you want a big bear and are you willing to go home without one.???

5. How many days do you recommend for the hunt...5, 8, 10, 15?...simple...as many as you can get!! some hunts only take a day, some hunts i know of have taken as many as 30 days. i know guys who have gone three years in a row before getting a bear.

The bottom line for coastal bear hunting is references, talk to guys who did well and guys who didn't, ask them how many differnt bears they saw, average size, how the camp atmosphere was, the food, the guides, the logistics, what they were sold and what they got. Your investing a pile of money in someone you need to make sure you know what your buying.
    One guy i would recommend is Dick Rohrer down on kodiak, aside from that i wouldnt' mention any other names on the island and the guy i would recommend from the peninsula has retired.
    Have fun spending money!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

bigE,
    I sent you a pm.