Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Root cellar

Default Root cellar

If you had a excavator and wanted to have a root cellar how would you go about doing it. Would like lessons learned, matierials,how deep (4' plus snow cover). looking at a 4x8 or 8x8 foot print.

Depends on soils. Make it big enough to get a couple of people into. It makes a great place to hang out in sub-zero weather while the cabin starts to heat up. 36* is 72* warmer than -36*. That's beer drinking weather!

Big enough to set a large old chest freezer in with lid. How much stuff you going to put into it?

headroom to stand up straight is certainly nice. I've never heard of anyone having a root cellar that was too large, either in square footage or in height.

Find an old insulated cube truck box and bury that. Already has good doors.

Well got the cellar in. Ended up with 4x8x8.5. Will build the sauna/bathroom over it this next summer.

got any pictures? Working on mine just tired of swinging a pick ax when I could be playing with my boys at the cabin. I'm down about 5'.

Well have plenty of pictures but not smart enough to put them on. 39F Insulated the top and 4' of the walls with R19

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    If you had a excavator and wanted to have a root cellar how would you go about doing it. Would like lessons learned, materials,how deep (4' plus snow cover). looking at a 4x8 or 8x8 foot print.
    mine in the making is 12x12x8

large enough to hang moose in, with shelves etc.. i have the hole in and all the material there to start just need too.. timber frame with sheet metal exterior to back fill against.. ( 1940's roofing metal heavy stuff) 4 inches of blue foam for the roof and 4 foot deep of dirt on the roof is the plan.. my post's (every 4 foot) are 10 inch treated spruce logs buried 3 foot on a cement footer and treated for rot. with spruce poles 4-6 inches laid horizontal around the out side of the post and log screwed in.. covered with the metal.. and back filled to the top my roof is a minimum of 8 inch logs lay ed along side each other.. large end to small end and insulated and covered with metal. i have a 8 inch salvaged metalbestos stove pipe with a flu in it for air if need be. as it is on flat ground it has a out of the sun entry from the side and stairs going down to it..

my neighbor built one just like it but used R/R ties.. and i can not get past the creosote smell in it. and could not imagine storing food in it.. most of my material are on site already so it made sense to use the logs i have.. just remember that when you back fill your walls need to support it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Excavate, insert 20' Connex, cover connex.

Vince that's impressive......

AGL4now don't have the money to hire a sky crane to get the excavator into my site. So much smaller scale for me. I wish it was that easy. I am digging the hole with shovel and pick and bucket and have aww (.6) dimensional and plywood to box it in. Gotta bring all my stuff out on a snowmobile or helicopter.

Hoping to do a 4X8 box *8 tall with ladder down on one wall. Take some temps after its done to decide on insulation.

Vince - How far along are you on yours? Do you have any pictures that you can share with us?

Here is the hole and building it. We treated the outside of the plywood and it sits on treated 4x4's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Used what we had to make a cover to keep the snow off this winter. Will build a 12x16 over the top next summer for our bathroom and ?. The excavator made it too easy! Will have to add vents and lights.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You're going to put a bathroom over the root cellar?? Doesn't sound like the best configuration.

Well the building will house a full bathroom with a septic system. Dont see a issue.

Wish I could go that deep without hitting water! Lookin' good!!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

well the test us ongoing. -20 and the beer did not freeze. Thermometer batt. died.Will have to add ventilation as we have some mold issues. Like going into a sauna from -20. The eu2000 starter rope broke and my wife found some good directions on the net. Was not as bad as it looked.

I'm sure you can fix the mold issue with some vents, But call it a success if the beer did freeze.
    Hi all, Erik & Jodi

ya this underground secret bunker interests me much, we built allot of them in the military. very nice place to brew some grog
    Semper Fi!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast