Thread: Latest Trip to PWS

Default Latest Trip to PWS

Looking through a few pictures from our latest fishing trip to PWS once again made me realize how good we have it. I can take my small boat out time after time and experience something new every time. It may be a new bay, new mammal, new fish, new bird, something new to eat, or who know's what else. Seems like we always experience something that leaves me in awe of the magnitude of the area. All of this while putting away some of the best food there is to last my family through the winter. It's my dream and I try to live it as often as possible with the means available to me.

Few pictures to share:

A few more:

fantastic pictures raven! I see you caught a couple of our pot thieves. I'm sure they got what was coming to them, a one way ticket down the gullet of a halibut

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    fantastic pictures raven! I see you caught a couple of our pot thieves. I'm sure they got what was coming to them, a one way ticket down the gullet of a halibut
    Only got one and it was eaten by the humans - That's one of the advantages of taking a chef along on the trip with you to cook the fresh out of the water seafood. We really enoyed the octopus and look forward to catching another one.

I went back and resized the photos to a smaller size in photo bucket but it didn't help make them smaller here - Technically challenged - sorry for the large size

I'm happy to be the second to say fantastic pictures raven ~ please keep posting

AJ

Those octopus are too good for bait to eat!! How the heck can you kill an octopus quickly?

Those are great pictures, what a great post, Very True about the area we live, it's just never stops surprising

(sometimes my photobucket pics resized, take a while to "kick-in" at the smaller size on posts here. Did you do 640x480 Large? or is that 15" screen 800x600? I've used the Large most but sometimes I resize 'em after posting or just before and they seem to come in smaller a day later,??

I like the size you have here, Let's See 'Em Good,
    Especially the Ice on Shrimp, that looks Deliciously COOL
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    Those octopus are too good for bait to eat!! How the heck can you kill an octopus quickly?
    I'd say octopus is too good to eat to use it as bait. As far as killin them, stick a knife right between the eyes.

How do you cook it? Wife tried pounding it to tenderize and then grill. Fair to good flavor and not tough. Then tried just boiling it. Good flavor but like a tough rubberband.

Maybe this is the wrong thread but I would really like to know how to cook them things (octopus) also. Bad enough they get into our shrimp pots, I would like a little pay back.

Great pictures BTW
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

We tried it 2 different ways and both were great. The key with both ways is to not over cook it. We ate the legs and the mantle, both were pounded to tenderize. First we split the legs length wise and cut into smaller pieces. Used a meat tenderizer to pound it flat. Sauteed in garlic butter for a very short time and ate as is. The girls like calamari so we tried that with the octopus, pounded the mantle out flat, cut into strips, breaded, and then deep fried for a very short time. We will certainly be keeping the next one as well.

Default where did you find those seals?

I have been out of whittier for the past several years looking for them. I have yet to find them in good numbers, so I have to go all the way to homer to get them every year, it's guaranteed. Any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticfox77 View Post
    I have been out of whittier for the past several years looking for them. I have yet to find them in good numbers, so I have to go all the way to homer to get them every year, it's guaranteed. Any help is appreciated.
    Arcticfox, sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by arcticfox77 View Post
    We fish out of Valdez and always see seals. Not sure what constitutes good numbers but we see them pretty much where ever we travel. They tend to be back in the bays with the salmon.

Looks like a great time out. You are so right about it being an amazing place in Alaska... Those of us who get to experience Alaska are always spoiled, even nice places in the lower 48 don't compare.

Way to catch a bounty of the sea. Octopus can definately be good eating, but just like with squid it can not be overcooked. Glad you had such a great time.
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!