Thread: Citric acid or alternate for game meat?

Default Citric acid or alternate for game meat?

I have been trying to find out what the best method for preserving game meat in the field is, and many people seem to think that citric acid is the BEST substance for preserving game meat and keeping flies off of meat.

I have never used citric acid and don't even know where to purchase it around the Fairbanks area. Can you buy it online? How much does it cost to buy the powdered citric acid?

Does concentrated lemon juice work better/worse/same as citric acid? If you use lemon juice, does it have to be dilluted with water?

Is there a suitable substitute for citric acid that works? If so, where can it be purchased?

Thanks for your help and may you have a productive hunting season.

v/r

CubCove

Works great I us it every year. Sportsman's will have it, Frontier, and Wally's and Fred's. It is sold under the brand name GAME SAVER. Mix it with water that you would drink in a spray bottle and spray down your meat and game bags. I even spray my bags before the hunt and let it dry on them. If you are getting your meat home right away I don't think you would need it. On a 7 to 10 day float hunt or up the haul road while it is still hot, then yes.

Good Luck

Steve

We soak are game bags in vinager right before we put them on then once the meat is covered we rub the damp bags down with fine ground black pepper. we used the citric acid stuff one year, since we had a freind that said it worked great for him. On day two we were picking eggs off the bags, we watched flys land on spots that we had just sprayed. Maybe we got a bad batch but I think I am going to sitck with vinager abd pepper.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I was talking to a guy just yesterday who said he used lemon juice from the grocery store on a couple of bears and it worked great.

I'm no chemist, but the key is to get the PH at a level that is incomparable for the fly's and their eggs. Lemon Juice, Vinegar, and citric acid all change the PH. With warm weather they can lay their eggs fast. Citric acid needs to be mixed at the correct ratio of mix to water. If too watered down it will not work as well. I use TAG bags and find that the fly's or their eggs cannot get into them.

Steve

When we processed our last moose, our butcher noticed my forearms were hammered by bug bites. They get swollen, tender, and hot to the touch as well. He suggested spraying some lemon juice, citric acid, etc., on my arms before dressing and I'm definitely going to try it this year...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    When we processed our last moose, our butcher noticed my forearms were hammered by bug bites. They get swollen, tender, and hot to the touch as well. He suggested spraying some lemon juice, citric acid, etc., on my arms before dressing and I'm definitely going to try it this year...
    Great suggestion....rep went haywire.

I have also used it every year and it seems to work. We had bags that were not treated and the flys laid eggs on that bag but not mine. However I wouldn't call using it a way to preserve meat but rather a way to protect meat from flys and other bugs.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by cubecove View Post
    I have been trying to find out what the best method for preserving game meat in the field is, and many people seem to think that citric acid is the BEST substance for preserving game meat and keeping flies off of meat.

I have never used citric acid and don't even know where to purchase it around the Fairbanks area. Can you buy it online? How much does it cost to buy the powdered citric acid?

Does concentrated lemon juice work better/worse/same as citric acid? If you use lemon juice, does it have to be dilluted with water?

Is there a suitable substitute for citric acid that works? If so, where can it be purchased?

Thanks for your help and may you have a productive hunting season.

v/r

CubCove
    cub walmart also carrys it back by the gun counter under the holsters and such stuff before the dog food isle... look down low for an orange packet that you mix with water on site. cost about 1.99 for enought to make a quart
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Most grocery stores will have powdered citric acid in their canning supplies section. Can't remember the cost, but it is pretty minimal. Knute

Thank you to all who have responded. I think I will have to do some "field research" with the citric acid. Even if it keeps the flies off and helps delay the bacterial growth, it will be a good investment.

Thanks again,

CubeCove

I use white vinegar and water 50/50 and it works great. It also helps the meat get a good solid crust on it too.
    http://alaskadipnetting.com/

If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I use lemon juice and tobasco sauce. I buy the Costco size Tobasco sauce and lemon juice, pour it into a 5 gallon bucket and then fill it to about 3/4 full with water. Soak my bags in it over night then hang them to dry. This has worked great for me in the past no bugs no eggs.

Well I gave the Game Saver product a try this year and I will say that it worked well.

One packet for 3 bucks mixed with two quarts water and we were good to go. I brought along a small spray bottle and on a forker moose that my wife shot, we used less than 1/3 of the solution.

It definitely kept the bugs at bay, which is always nice to see. Our buddies brought the meat out that evening and two days later it was in the freezer.

As far as spraying it on myself, I will have to try again next year. We started skinning the moose out before the solution arrived and I had already gotten bit a few times. When my wife sprayed some on me, it definitely stung where the bugs had already gotten me, so I wiped it off and sucked it up the next 3 days with a swollen/feverish/tender right arm...oh well...

I guess in summary....for 3 bucks, I'm down!

If you get the citric acid in bulk what is the proper mixture?
    Bruce