Thread: Prop Depth on Kicker

Default Prop Depth on Kicker

I picked up a 4 stroke 9.9 kicker with plans of mounting it on the transom and connecting it to the main with an ez steer. It has a 22.5 inch shaft as opposed to the standard 20 inch on the main. I see no issue with connecting the two motors but am wondering if the kicker's prop being an extra 2.5 inches in the water poses any problem(s). Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    I picked up a 4 stroke 9.9 kicker with plans of mounting it on the transom and connecting it to the main with an ez steer. It has a 22.5 inch shaft as opposed to the standard 20 inch on the main. I see no issue with connecting the two motors but am wondering if the kicker's prop being an extra 2.5 inches in the water poses any problem(s). Thanks for any help.
    It could spray water all over the place if you can't tilt it up far enough. It will also be slightly less efficient due to the extra drag, but you probably won't even notice. I hope it works good for you. Just curious, why not mount it 2.5 inches higher than it should be to make up for the difference in length?

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    It could spray water all over the place if you can't tilt it up far enough. It will also be slightly less efficient due to the extra drag, but you probably won't even notice. I hope it works good for you. Just curious, why not mount it 2.5 inches higher than it should be to make up for the difference in length?
    You're right, of course, I can probably mount it higher but it's a little more complicated. I would go with a regular kicker bracket but I broke my back end of '08 and leaning over the splash well to operate a bracket is exactly the angle that will do me in. After checking prices on 4 stroke rated brackets, for not much more money and in some cases less, I can mount a Panther Marine model 40 tilt/trim and get around bending over issue. I really don't know anything about those units and can't find any reviews. I would think/hope that tilted up the kicker prop would clear the water while under way with the main. I'm very much the novice and just trying to figure it out..lol. Thanks for the response, TRB.

Garyak,

Try it the way it is, it will probably clear just fine. In fact, depending on the boat, sometimes you don't have to tilt them up at all as when the boat planes while underway it lifts and the kicker is out of the water entirely - just depends on how high/low you mounted it, and how much lift your hull generates. I understand the whole broken back thing, I broke mine in 97 on a parachuting jump at FT Bragg and was discharged for the US Army because of it. It sucks.....

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Garyak,

Try it the way it is, it will probably clear just fine. In fact, depending on the boat, sometimes you don't have to tilt them up at all as when the boat planes while underway it lifts and the kicker is out of the water entirely - just depends on how high/low you mounted it, and how much lift your hull generates. I understand the whole broken back thing, I broke mine in 97 on a parachuting jump at FT Bragg and was discharged for the US Army because of it. It sucks.....

Tim
    OUCH! My self boogerment was much less eventful, I'm sure, but I totally agree...the end result sucks! Hope you have recovered well, Tim!