Thread: Primer question

Default Primer question

I've noticed over the past few years, Federal cartridges has some sort of coloured sealant(?) thats been brushed over the primer. Is it to seal the primer against water? Is it something handloaders should get into?
    What is that stuff?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I always seal the primers of my hunting loads - just extra insurance on those hunts that are way wet. The way it has been going this year in SC AK, this hunting season could be a really wet one. Pretty easy to do. I just coat over the primers of loaded ammo once finished reloading and then wipe off resulting in the sealant remaining only in the groove between the edge of the primer and the brass. Some people recommend waiting 24 hours if you have loaded a compressed powder load in case any air has to leak out. This has had no effect on accuracy as far as I can determine.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

What sealer are you using on that? It almost looks like some sort of LocTite product.
    Thanks for the info.
    Paul
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I've seen some commercial primer sealers but have also heard of people using clear finger nail polish. I haven't used either product, however.

Here is what I use (http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=13781.0) - pretty much smells like finger nail polish and imagine could be used also.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    I've noticed over the past few years, Federal cartridges has some sort of coloured sealant(?) thats been brushed over the primer. Is it to seal the primer against water? Is it something handloaders should get into?
    What is that stuff?
    I can't imagine it causing any harm, but unless you expect the ammo to be exposed to long term immersion in water I do not think it provides any possible advantage other than a bit of personal confidence.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Had bad experiences with it myself and never had a non-sealed round fail on a hunting trip. Here's a link to a previous discussion with a few different opinions:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...read.php/60231

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I can't imagine it causing any harm, but unless you expect the ammo to be exposed to long term immersion in water I do not think it provides any possible advantage other than a bit of personal confidence.
    Well, I certainly don't plan on any long term immersion, but it always seems to happen anyhow I'm thinking going light on a Sheep hunt, 6 rounds with you; in the rifle and on the sling, walking through rain soaked Alders/Willow. Knowing they are sealed would make me feel better if nothing else.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    ...Knowing they are sealed would make me feel better if nothing else.
    Much of what I do falls directly into that category as well. Can't think of anything as important in the field as confidence so I do my best to have a bunch of it. I say buy some sealer and have at it. I've never tried it, but I've heard good things about: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=954332
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.