Thread: Recoil pad ?

Question Recoil pad ?

I have a brand new Win model 70 .338 that I'm going to be using this moose season. I'm looking at putting a Limbsaver recoil pad on (I have had good results with them in the past). My question is, Should i take the stock recoil pad off and put one of the fit to mold pads on or should i just put the slip on recoil pad over the stock pad? Does it matter or is it personal preference?
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

It depends on your LOP.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    It depends on your LOP.
    Absolutely. I don't think I'd ever use a slip over unless there was no other option. Limbsavers are nice, but they gum up against carpet or fabric and look like heck. If you could care less about looks then go for it because they're great pads. Otherwise I'd stick with a Pachmyer Decelerator. If you don't know your LOP I would get measured and see if you can have the gun fitted for you. Having a gun with proper LOP will lessen felt recoil and make it handle MUCH more affectively.

Brett

I agree w/ the length of pull statements, oddly enough the only gun in my house that I HATE to shoot is my wifes little 308 ruger compact. It is way too short for me and beats me to pieces but she can shoot it all day long w/ the factory pad simply because it fits her right. I am a function first guy and I like the limbsaver gun specific pads. Just remove your pad bolts and screw on the new LS pad and your done. No sanding, trimming or anything.

There is no disadvantage to having a pad screwed on so that it does not shift or fall off at an inopportune time; can't say the same for a slip "off" pad.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

This may not be surprising to some of ya'll <grin> but I'll disagree with the LOP sentiments. I have a few different shotguns and rifles with different LOPs and to me, it just don't matter. What does matter is how well the stick ballances and fits me and if it takes a lot of effort to sight. Think about it now for a few seconds..... You take your huntin' rifle out to the range sometime in July to shoot and sight with a T-shirt on and then put on multiple layers for Fall and Winter hunting. What does that do to your LOP?????? Answer.... a lot!!!!! And how about different field shooting postions? C'mon guys, for hunting we need to be very adaptable to conditions.

For my magnum rifles I use a slip-on pad and it works just fine.... does not affect my POI in the slightest. Sometimes I use it in the field and sometimes I don't... it just doesn't matter. If your shooting BR competition then it might make a .o5 MOA diff, but in the field, it just doesn't matter.

Case in point, my Sendero's in 25-06 and 300 RUM. They have the same LOP but I use the slip-on with RUM and not the 25-06 and they both shoot about .5 MOA waaayyy out there... both on the bench and in the field. And once I forgot my slip on for the RUM at the range and was wearing a thick padded Carhart on a cool Fall late afternoon with no noticable diff.

Having said that... if a permanent decelerator pad works for you, then go for it. I think that would be the best solution. But... I *think* my solution is cheaper and more flexible.

A lot of it is technique. Make sure the butt is tucked in well into the pocket of your shoulder and not the ball of your shoulder or your chest. This makes a huge difference.

With a slip-on recoil pad, I could litterally shoot a 1000 rounds from my RUM in a day no problem.... with out it, I would be done after 10 (unless I was wearing my padded Carhart)

Good shooting eh : )

I'd be apt to use a Decelerator or a Limbsaver that's permanent. LOP matters but I've determined too long is by far worse than too short.

I can usually do fine with a short stock rifle (I'm 6' so it looks funny but it works) but too long is awful. I once shot a BLR that someone (apparently a really TALL someone) had stacked recoil pads and a spacer on- must have been 15" or so.

I just don't think a slip on over a factory pad will work well as the stock would be long and probably a bit unstable. I really believe they're made for sticking on a rifle or shotgun with an old school steel or plastic butt plate.

I'd be apt to either make do with the factory or replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    This may not be surprising to some of ya'll <grin> but I'll disagree with the LOP sentiments. I have a few different shotguns and rifles with different LOPs and to me, it just don't matter. What does matter is how well the stick ballances and fits me and if it takes a lot of effort to sight. Think about it now for a few seconds..... You take your huntin' rifle out to the range sometime in July to shoot and sight with a T-shirt on and then put on multiple layers for Fall and Winter hunting. What does that do to your LOP?????? Answer.... a lot!!!!! And how about different field shooting postions? C'mon guys, for hunting we need to be very adaptable to conditions.
    Hadn't heard form you in awhile MR; glad to see you back.

No argument that you can shoot from solid positions with great accuracy and consistency with little regard to LOP. However, firing from less supported positions and trying to fire quickly without hurrying the LOP/gun fit makes a difference in accuracy and quickness. You're absolutely correct in that LOP is affected by the type and amount of clothing, but any good rifleman would keep that in his consideration of adjusting his riflestock's LOP.

BTW a stock that is a little short is no doubt better than one that is too long, but I've found few things that increase recoil like an ill fitting stock and shorter stocks exaggerate recoil.

IN selecting a pad there are multiple options, but why settle for less than an optimum fit? If you can get there with a slip off, then I say go for it. For me and mine it'll be a fitted and ground pad every time.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    If it matters how well it "balances and fits me" why would LOP not be important???? That makes no sense. I shoot side by side rifles and shotguns. The LOP that works for me with these kinds of weapons is 14.75-15". If I'm shooting a scoped bolt action rifle for good weather like my .375 that's going to Africa I have a LOP of 13.75-14" because I need a shorter LOP to allow my eye to comfortably look through the scope. I'm having Mark Bansner make me a rifle that will be for colder weather use. I'm having him make the LOP 13.5" to allow for extra clothing. This isn't rocket science. Think out what you're intent for the rifle is and go with it. You're right that the importance of LOP changes with different shooting positions or times shooting. What matters most isn't the range or what ever other scenerio. What matters is the field. If you plan the rifle for the field you'll do well. If you're shooting prone off a rest most people could shoot accurately with a fairly wide range of LOP. Where it really matters is shooting sitting or especially standing. Correct LOP allows for faster sight and target aquisition, better handling, less felt recoil, greater ease at shooting running or moving game, and a better cheek weld which keeps you from getting hit in the face. It's likely that great shots will shoot reasonably to very well with guns who's LOP is to long or short. However they will shoot better with a gun that fits them every time. I guess my question is since I can think of a bunch of reasons to have a correct LOP what's the advantage to not having the correct LOP??? And if there isn't any advantage what so ever then why wouldn't anyone in their right mind not have a gun that fits them if they can help it? Just a thought.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    If it matters how well it "balances and fits me" why would LOP not be important???? That makes no sense. I shoot side by side rifles and shotguns. The LOP that works for me with these kinds of weapons is 14.75-15". If I'm shooting a scoped bolt action rifle for good weather like my .375 that's going to Africa I have a LOP of 13.75-14" because I need a shorter LOP to allow my eye to comfortably look through the scope. I'm having Mark Bansner make me a rifle that will be for colder weather use. I'm having him make the LOP 13.5" to allow for extra clothing. This isn't rocket science. Think out what you're intent for the rifle is and go with it. You're right that the importance of LOP changes with different shooting positions or times shooting. What matters most isn't the range or what ever other scenerio. What matters is the field. If you plan the rifle for the field you'll do well. If you're shooting prone off a rest most people could shoot accurately with a fairly wide range of LOP. Where it really matters is shooting sitting or especially standing. Correct LOP allows for faster sight and target aquisition, better handling, less felt recoil, greater ease at shooting running or moving game, and a better cheek weld which keeps you from getting hit in the face. It's likely that great shots will shoot reasonably to very well with guns who's LOP is to long or short. However they will shoot better with a gun that fits them every time. I guess my question is since I can think of a bunch of reasons to have a correct LOP what's the advantage to not having the correct LOP??? And if there isn't any advantage what so ever then why wouldn't anyone in their right mind not have a gun that fits them if they can help it? Just a thought.

Brett
    Nice post Brett, I agree.