Thread: Lake Creek in a jet boat

Default Lake Creek in a jet boat

I have some property on Lake Creek and am curious how far you can go up the river in jet boat?
    I know it depends on the boat, water levels and driver but I was curious on how far up anyone has gone.
    I have property on the river across from Quiet Lake. Thanks Ernie

I would call the lodge out there and ask them, I m sure they run up the Creek. (907) 733-2718 is the number google gave for a contact.

What kind of boat do you have. Been a long ways up lake.

I have a 20' Willie Predator with an inboard jet. Too big i think to go very far. My property is about half way up the river, across from Quite lake. Thank you for the reply.

Ernie, you will make it about a mile or so past Bulchitna Lake if water conditions are normal, then the boulders will get you. That is no place for a big boat like you have, if you plan on returning home in it.

Under no water conditions would you make it that far up Lake Creek in any boat. There are too many rocks and the boulders in the canyon really narrow it down. Your best bet for access is fly in, hike down, and float across. Or there are some fly in lakes on the other side if you had a wheeler over there, then you still have to get down into the valley bottom.

Downstream from Quiet Lake you encounter the more significant rapid of the river... this will continue to drop through mixed bolder runs until you are approximately 2 hours float time below Yenlo Creek confluence.

Most any jet-boater would be tested to ascend then descend (like another poster related) too far upstream like 1-2 hours float time below Yenlo Creek. In your boat... you'll be done at Bulchitna or so thereabouts.

At very high water Lake Creek (local, colorful folklore suggests) that it has been ascended twice back in the '80s - I don't believe the descents were ever considered or attempted.

My recommendation is to rent a raft to float down from Chelatna Lake or even just ferry across to your property from Quiet Lake.

Thanks Guys for the info. I have flown the river and feel the same way as you,but being new to jet boating I thought I would ask. I will fly in and cross the river with a raft.
    Thanks again Ernie.

I know that I am replying to an old thread, but be aware that Lake creek has a non-mechanized corridor 1/2 mile on each side of the creek all of the way from Chelatna to Bulchitna and this includes motor boats in the creek....

Quote Originally Posted by driveacub View Post
    I know that I am replying to an old thread, but be aware that Lake creek has a non-mechanized corridor 1/2 mile on each side of the creek all of the way from Chelatna to Bulchitna and this includes motor boats in the creek....
    I was at the meetings n Sept 1990 when this took place. Last year I revisited the information and it is correct. If you have doubts, check with AK wildlife trooper Tory Oleck in the Palmer office 745-4247

Quote Originally Posted by driveacub View Post
    Those are boating restrictions only right. This is all I could find in a Google Search.

Boating^Restrictions
    1. Non-motorized
    area
    Season:
    Justification:
    Exit of Lake Creek canyon where whitewater ends to exit of Chelatna Lake where
    whitewater begins (RM 8.1- 51.2).
    May 15-August 20.
    This segment provides high quality float trips and is not currently used by powerboats.
    This restriction is intended to protect high quality whitewater trips from future
    technologies which could provide powerboat access and result in use conflicts.
    Although there is private property along this segment, it is better accessed
    by air or ground vehicles rather than boats because of the whitewater. The flatwater
    stretches on Chelatna Lake and the lower creek are used by powerboats.
    There are no boating restrictions on these sections.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/planning/m.../pdf/Ch3_4.pdf

Many years ago I have been thru the "rock garden" in my jet, but it was an 18' Lowe with a 70hp evinrude. Little scarey, but I was young and stupid back then. I think your boat would be too big with an inboard. But then again once you scope things out, get you a small jetboat and keep it at one of the lodges and use it to ferry between the lodge and your property. Wear your PFD!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/