Thread: crossing the Delta river ?

Default crossing the Delta river ?

I was wondering if anyone has some insight on crossing the delta river between Black rapids & Donnely. I was hoping to get out late Aug. & do some scouting for the wifes cow tag. Is it possible to park near the road & cross with a self bailing raft ? I had heard there are some river bank / flats where you can drive out onto the bars & then start crossing the braids from there.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

It can be done, at times. It can also be dangerous! Water levels have been fluctuating greatly with the rains.

The next question: will that area be open for hunting or will there be military maneuvers taking place?

It is pretty easy to cross with a raft but it gets old pulling or carrying one across the sand bars. Mush easier to find a spot with one channel and cross there.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Had two buddies try the crossing with a raft and they ended up in the water. Not sure how that ended up like that but they were crossing where there were a lot of braids and after the 3rd pullout they put back in, floated down and then upside down. One of them did not have their 7mm tied down and after 5 years it is still at the bottom of the river.

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    The next question: will that area be open for hunting or will there be military maneuvers taking place?
    Word on the street is that there will be about 500 permit holders (cow tags and any bull tags) that will have NO area to hunt, as the entire area covered by their tag will be closed off. And the only reason I know this: because we (hunting partners) have been on the horn everyday trying to get answers and are getting nothing but the run around. Glad they "work with us" on letting people know....
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    Word on the street is that there will be about 500 permit holders (cow tags and any bull tags) that will have NO area to hunt, as the entire area covered by their tag will be closed off. And the only reason I know this: because we (hunting partners) have been on the horn everyday trying to get answers and are getting nothing but the run around. Glad they "work with us" on letting people know....
    Who is giving you the run around? Isn't Delta a ways to go for a meat hunt?

Military and ADF&G. I realize the importance of the military training and have no problem with them closing the area. But, it kind of hurts to find out less than 6 weeks before teh season starts.

"My" Delta trip isn't a meat hunt, it's to be with family as this is a 20 year tradition for us and in this area. I only go if I get drawn for a tag (this year was an any bull), as this is not a "cost savings" hunt for me. Come on now...I'm in Nome, I got more meat options than most of the state, and almost all of them are less than a 15 minute drive from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    Military and ADF&G. I realize the importance of the military training and have no problem with them closing the area. But, it kind of hurts to find out less than 6 weeks before teh season starts.

"My" Delta trip isn't a meat hunt, it's to be with family as this is a 20 year tradition for us and in this area. I only go if I get drawn for a tag (this year was an any bull), as this is not a "cost savings" hunt for me. Come on now...I'm in Nome, I got more meat options than most of the state, and almost all of them are less than a 15 minute drive from my house.
    I thought it was for the whiskey and hookers??

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    I thought it was for the whiskey and hookers??
    SSHHH thats a well kept secret.. Or was

I know one of the guys that works at range control on Fort Greely. Will have to give him a call and see what the deal is for you. I know for a fact 4-25 is not going to be up thier training. Maybe 1-25 is heading down thier, who knows.

Be careful on the Delta River, it is deceptively fast. And, the water looks suprisingly different when you're paddling across vs when you are standing on the bank trying to judge it.

A couple things to remember:
    -it will be worth it to carry your raft across the sandbars from braid to braid, it might seem like a lot of work, but it is the safest way to do it.
    -use an oar set-up on your raft, you'll want the power. Plus, the ability to have your partner in the bow ready to jump ashore with a bowline to haul the raft up out of the water will help a lot. I've lost a lot of ground crossing solo because I'm unable to get out of the water quickly.

Anyone know how Frank Glaser used to cross back in the 20s when he hunted sheep up there? I've read his book and he makes no mention of it...

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    -use an oar set-up on your raft, you'll want the power. Plus, the ability to have your partner in the bow ready to jump ashore with a bowline to haul the raft up out of the water will help a lot. I've lost a lot of ground crossing solo because I'm unable to get out of the water quickly.

Anyone know how Frank Glaser used to cross back in the 20s when he hunted sheep up there? I've read his book and he makes no mention of it...
    The oar locks are a huge bonus when playing on moving water!

I believe Frank crossed in early spring and late fall when the water level is at its lowest and or frozen. Atleast that is what I remember from reading the book about him, though he never did mention it exactly.

It can be done, just carefully. I floated a few mile stretch of water just upstream of the training facility for the whitewater experience. It was fast. Tons of fun though. I use a self bailing inflatable canoe. My bro. did it with me and his isnt self bailing and he filled it up several times.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Not sure how, but I do know where. Kind of neat to see the old cabin with "Glaser" on it, and every now and again finding old sets.

my shots from the hip on how glaser crossed would be (ideally) at low water with horses or a cable or a combination of both. or some other way entirely but I bet he was too smart to walk across, though i could be entirely wrong.

delta headwater glaciers were likely much larger 90 years ago. certainly the hydro. regime was different then than now, in what ways I do not know, but my guess would be periods of high water came later in the spring and periods of low water came earlier in the fall.

Black rapids terminus would have been substantially different then, which likely would have substantial impacts (how i can only guess) on most everything down stream

Important to note on river crossings that river/craft dynamics are very different compared to downstream travel. it takes more than a little bit of practice to anticipate where you are likely to reach to opposite bank, and to plan on a route that will allow you to reach your desired landing.

looking cross-current as opposed to down-current, one's eyes and desires easily play tricks on the mind in terms of where you want to head / where you think you are headed, versus where you may actually end up once at the mercy of the current and your preparation..

important to take each crossing slowly, and to do so with your eyes and mind several times first. preparation and practice at crossing "easier" water cannot be underestimated. do not think you've learned all you need to know by traveling down river in white water. a practice crossing (or 5) prior to one's hunt would be an afternoon well spent.

i've found it best to put-in to very swift water (if necessary) if it means I can take-out in slower water, as opposed to the opposite which has found me a time or two very wet and a bit fearful for my life, if only for a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I know one of the guys that works at range control on Fort Greely. Will have to give him a call and see what the deal is for you. I know for a fact 4-25 is not going to be up thier training. Maybe 1-25 is heading down thier, who knows.
    1-25 will be conducting training from at least 10 September-27 September.... It could be longer, those dates are for one Battalion it is very possible other units will be out there trying to get their last bit of training done prior to the winter and shipping vehicles.