Thread: Firewood

Default Firewood

Where can a person (non military) go to legally cut some dry hardwood for campfires? I have some spruce but need some hardwood to throw in the mix. Thanks in advance.
    EricL

http://forestry.alaska.gov/wood/firewood.htm

I usually camp off the beaten path and just cut dead and down wood for firewood. As far as "hardwood" I don't actually think we have any true hardwood's in AK. Poplar, birch, and cottonwood do burn a little slower and cooler than spruce though.

I'm about the same.

Key word is dry. Given the weather lately that will be difficult. I load up with my dry seasoned wood from home. Take my power saw with me and keep an eye out for wind falls. If its too wet, I bring it back home and lay it up for next year. However at established camp grounds this is a problem. Not much they will allow you to cut.

JuJon, good link BTW.

A lot of the times people have trees they downed in their yards and they will put out an listing on craigs list telling people to come and get it for free. Question? there is a bunch of downed cottonwood trees where I work and it is first come first serve. Does anyone know if this wood burns as bad as people say and would it be worth all the effort to cut and chop it up for firewood?

Birch & alder are about the only hardwoods around here. I have a little birch in my back yard (South Anchorage) that I would be willing to give away. There is one dead stick still standing, and some cut up stuff (various lengths) from a tree I had removed last year. Perhaps 1/3 cord total.

As mentioned Free section on Craigslist.
    Also look at new housing developments. Alot of trees cut, pretty much delimbed and just lying there. Ask the builder or the new owner if they moved in already.

I don't mind cotton wood and use it fairly often. I don't go out of my way to get it but it's easily available. The smoke has a distinctive smell. Not good; not bad. I don't cook on it though.

A buddy just dropped off some alder to my house. Would you use that as firewood or smoking material as far as fish go. I would need to dry it out but I was wondering about the time and effort?

PACK1969,
    I vote for smoking!!!

Sure wish I could get fresh Alder around here! I have some salmon filets just dying to be smoked. Guess I will just use Mesquite, Hickory, Pecan, or Oak. Won't be as good as Alder though. Except for the Mesquite, all the other wood has been picked up fresh locally.

But I guess living in an abundant supply of fresh Hickory, Pecan, & Oak kinda makes up for it some.

Yes on the Alder. That's all I smoke fish with. Be sure it is dry. I keep my smoking wood in the garage.