Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: little sue and deshka report please

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    127

    Default little sue and deshka report please

    Havent heard anything about how the fishing is in either of these locations. Can someone please PM me and tell me. Im making day runs this weekend as I have camper issues I need to deal with. Thanks Chris

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Lil Su, High and muddie as of last night. I fished for 2 hours and did not see a fish. I do not have a boat but the guys in the boats were bringing in a few silvers. Kinda slow now but should get hot anytime.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Deshka Landing says folks are limiting out on the silvers (as of last weekend) so the fishing should be good, however keep in mind that the water has just been getting higher and higher :-/

  4. #4
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    translation head up stream............... the silvers love water!

  5. #5
    Member preed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    490

    Default

    ive fished both in the past couple days and limited both places. there are fish there.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Thanks guys. I think I'll hit deshka sunday and the little sue monday. Try both and see what happens. Little sue should be more productive for me as I know most of the holes. I always limit there. And is it still 2 per day for both rivers or is it 3 fish per day. I know it changes regardless what the regulations say. Thanks again guys.

  7. #7
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,360

    Default

    3 deshka, 2 little su. You may keep 3 salmon on little su, only 2 may be silvers. After keeping the 2nd silver, you're done fishing. So to keep 3 salmon, the #3 fish must be kept before keeping a 2nd silver.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Kind of a stupid question but can you use eggs on the deshka. I have some freshly made eggs ready to be used.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    So to keep 3 salmon, the #3 fish must be kept before keeping a 2nd silver.
    hmmmm....are you sure about this? Where can this be found in the Good Book? I have not read that verse.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10

    Default

    This was beaten to death last year. Some people believe that once you keep 2 silvers from the Little Su, you have kept a bag limit. That is NOT the case. The "bag limit" is 3 salmon, only 2 of which can be silver salmon. The argument that had the most "sense" in it was "you have kept 2 silvers, and what if the third fish is a silver that swallows your lure to the point of not being able to survive."

    AK Chappy

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK_Chappy View Post
    This was beaten to death last year. Some people believe that once you keep 2 silvers from the Little Su, you have kept a bag limit. That is NOT the case. The "bag limit" is 3 salmon, only 2 of which can be silver salmon. The argument that had the most "sense" in it was "you have kept 2 silvers, and what if the third fish is a silver that swallows your lure to the point of not being able to survive."

    AK Chappy
    I remember the discussion/debate, but it is just that.... and not the gospel, as purported in the post. What if your first, second or third fish is a Late King holding in the lower reaches? Same deal. Bear food. I have seen several years when there were so many late kings, that you had a hard time getting through them to even hope for a Silver.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  12. #12

    Default

    AKres, I think we are saying the same thing. If you catch a late King, you let it go. If it swallowed the hook and is gonna die anyway, you still let it go. Same way with a third Silver. That is why I put the word sense in quotes. My point was.....2 Silver salmon is NOT a bag limit. 3 salmon is a bag limit.

    AK Chappy

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    106

    Default

    I'm fishing the little su for the first time ever on Sunday morning. I will report that night.

  14. #14

    Default

    Can someone provide me with details on how to rig drifting with eggs? I am planning on hitting the Deska tomorrow and fishing from a boat.
    Thanks

  15. #15
    Member thewhop2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,366

    Default

    Predd, I use a big bobber and a 3 foot leader with just a wee bit of weight to put the eggs below the surface.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

  16. #16
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    hmmmm....are you sure about this? Where can this be found in the Good Book? I have not read that verse.
    Page 35, under "The Little Susitna Drainage." A person who takes a bag limit of other salmon 16" or longer from the Little Su... may not fish for any species of fish in the Little Susitna River that same day."

    Clear as mud; the bag limit of silvers is 2. Once 2nd silver is bonked, your done, as you have a bag limit of other salmon. You don't have the total bag limit of others, but you have A bag limit of others- 2 silvers. As long as you haven't KEPT 2 silvers, you may keep fishing. As soon as #2 is bonked, or 3 "other" salmon total, you're done. Period.

    AKRes, beat me up all you want, thats what the book says. You can interpret it any way you want, but the courts have been interpreting it this way, and thats who counts.

    Peace.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Page 35, under "The Little Susitna Drainage." A person who takes a bag limit of other salmon 16" or longer from the Little Su... may not fish for any species of fish in the Little Susitna River that same day."

    Clear as mud; the bag limit of silvers is 2. Once 2nd silver is bonked, your done, as you have a bag limit of other salmon. You don't have the total bag limit of others, but you have A bag limit of others- 2 silvers. As long as you haven't KEPT 2 silvers, you may keep fishing. As soon as #2 is bonked, or 3 "other" salmon total, you're done. Period.

    AKRes, beat me up all you want, thats what the book says. You can interpret it any way you want, but the courts have been interpreting it this way, and thats who counts.

    Peace.
    Sorta kinda...but not exactly.
    Not beating no one up. Just want everything to be "clear as mud" to the readership. That law only applies to those that choose to fish below River Mile 32.5. The rest of the river to the bridge on the Parks is less managed.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  18. #18
    Member PPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    168

    Default

    i fished the deshka early this morning. the mouth was dead with only three boats and on pink caught in half an hour, so we headed upstream. on guide boat a little ways up and we went for awhile stopping at various places not much action at all. when we headed back down there was a little more action at the mouth and i was able to hook a pink. that was about it, kinda disapointing

  19. #19
    Member RMiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    hmmmm....are you sure about this? Where can this be found in the Good Book? I have not read that verse.
    Thats cause its not there.

    Clear as mud is right. Facts are you must stop fishing when your limit of other salmon 16" or more is kept. Bag limit of "other" salmon is clearing defined as being "any" combination of salmon other than king salmon 16" or more in length. 2 cohos does not make a bag limit of other salmon. If you are fishing the kenai in certain spots the book does say you must stop fishing when you catch 2 cohos. So to me that makes it pefectly clear when to stop fishing (not after 2 cohos but after the other salmon bag limit is kept).

    It would say 2 cohos if it was supposed to be after 2 cohos.

    this is clear as crystal though: you will get a ticket if you fish after keeping to 2 cohos on the Little Su so until someone fights it in court its gonna stay that way. Last time I ranted about this the limit on the little su went to 3 coho for the rest of the year by eo. IMHO if everyone wants its to be 2 coho on the little su fine with me, just make it read that way in the book. They do it for the kenai .
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

  20. #20

    Default Per ADFG + Troopers

    Talked to Trooper at Deshka Landing last year regarding continuing to fish for jack kings in Yentna after catching/keeping a king in Lake Creek ............answer was "I will issue you a citation".

    Talked to ADF&G on phone about keeping a king from willow and tagging it from willow, then going to Deshka to get a 2nd king for the day ...............answer was "if you have a bag limit for any species from anywhere you are done fishing for that species for that day everywhere, and if regs for the place where you caught whatever had the bag limit specified you are done fishing for everything when you are there, then you are also done fishing for everything everywhere" or something like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •