Thread: Flies For Silvers

Default Flies For Silvers

Hey all,

I know this question has probably been asked before, but here I go. What would be the best fly to use for silvers. A few of my friends say all I need is Russian river flies. I have allot of them but I thought I would ask.

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie to fly fishing View Post
    Hey all,

I know this question has probably been asked before, but here I go. What would be the best fly to use for silvers. A few of my friends say all I need is Russian river flies. I have allot of them but I thought I would ask.

Thank You

for future reference, you can search the forum for questions that may have been asked before (upper right after logging in; click the advanced search for options)

FYI, I would say pink bunny leeches, purple egg-sucking leeches, and flash flies.

I would also say pink bunny leaches. Depending on the depth the fish are at, I like to wrap a bit of weight on the hook shank and also add some eyes for more weight. If the pink bunny leaches don't work, I would mix it up a bit, but I usually end up going back to the bunny leach.

Default i'd add this...

....if it is pink, you're good!

oh, and woolly buggers if not!

[QUOTE=stevesch;778154

FYI, I would say pink bunny leeches, purple egg-sucking leeches, and flash flies.[/QUOTE]

What he said.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

I found a fly in Kodiak last year that I have not seen tied before that absolutely killed them. Mack's sports, they call it Party Girl.
    I would call it a cross between a River Tiger & String Leech but has some marabou in it, stinger hook, color is Cherise. Already having someone pick me up a few for this year.

they are pretty new only been around a few years, anther good one is called purple death.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    I found a fly in Kodiak last year that I have not seen tied before that absolutely killed them. Mack's sports, they call it Party Girl.
    I would call it a cross between a River Tiger & String Leech but has some marabou in it, stinger hook, color is Cherise. Already having someone pick me up a few for this year.
    Hey Col. could you post a picture of this fly please.

thanx kenaibow fan. I'll be back after I maub akflyfishinggoods.com......now wheres my VISA

LOL your very welcome! I don't know if you make your own flies but usually what I do is by one to check it out then I make a handful for my self. You might be able to get them at the sportsman's???? If for nothing else I know they do have the material to make them.

Thumbs up these worked!

Here are a couple of my creations that I did quite well with last year. The real hot fly was any egg sucking leech in burgandy color..it was hot-hot-hot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4776_1157053575886_1514147163_30388294_2349219_n.jpg   Articulated Leech 3.jpg  

you sir are ahead of your time with those creations!

Default three flies, or more, is better than one, and here's why

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    they are pretty new only been around a few years, anther good one is called purple death.

kenaibow brought up another thought; there are times when pink DOES NOT WORK. So you cannot rely on pink alone.

Some black or purple leech or bunny will cover these times. "purple death" AKA "brad hanson's purple death" is a bunny fly pattern with a bit of flashabou and angel hair in it. It is easy to make. Or, you can make a quick tie out of a piece of black rabbit fur and a dumbell eye which can work just as good.

The large (#2 or 1/0 hook size) commercial dumbell-eye patterns: bunnies - called "hareball" leeches; and large egg-suckers - called "starlite" or "hickok's starlite" leech are intended for deep-holding fish like silvers (or steelhead), and are more difficult to replicate exactly, but the fish don't care about the quality of the tie as much as you do.

If you could do three flies; you are much less likely to be skunked when they don't like pink. I went up to the Kanektok one year, and the fish WOULD NOT TOUCH ANY PINK FLY ALL WEEK; but they did take black - and to some extent silver flashflies.

In brief, take at least something pink, something dark, and something silver. And if that doesn't grab your imagination, bring chartreuse, and white. The least success I have had is orange, until last year, when orange mixed with pink was the best fly. Otherwise, I have tried orange for a decade or more without catching a silver on it.

Truth be told the one type of fly that always seems to work for silvers for me..................is an articulating flesh fly. The color I use is called "frost". It is a light orange/peach kinda???????????? Maybe a little brown in there?????????? I am color blind so I am not sure what color it really could be. Any way I hook more dang silvers on that stupid fly on the Kenai when I am trying to fish bows then I do bows some days. So you tell me, I was never one to believe that pink was the cure all for silvers. And anther thing to keep in mind....silvers are the most preditory salmon..............so I don't think color is a problem, I think presintation is.

Kinda like if some one runs by and hands you a big bank bag full of money with blue dye all over it.........are you going to take it?

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Truth be told the one type of fly that always seems to work for silvers for me..................is an articulating flesh fly. The color I use is called "frost". It is a light orange/peach kinda???????????? Maybe a little brown in there?????????? I am color blind so I am not sure what color it really could be. Any way I hook more dang silvers on that stupid fly on the Kenai when I am trying to fish bows then I do bows some days. So you tell me, I was never one to believe that pink was the cure all for silvers. And anther thing to keep in mind....silvers are the most preditory salmon..............so I don't think color is a problem, I think presintation is.

Kinda like if some one runs by and hands you a big bank bag full of money with blue dye all over it.........are you going to take it?
    Only if it's in a pink bag!

Thanks all,

Great info...

before I post I will check, thank you steve

Default party girl

Kenaibow fan has nailed it!! Now I know where I can find the Party Girl other than Kodaik. Trust me I didn't see many of those there LOL
    This fly did it all, Silvers, Chums and could keep the Pinks of it either.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	37003Click image for larger version. 

Name:	017.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	37004

That's awsome, your fishing hat is a south park hat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your awsome Col F Rodder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!