Thread: Care of Sharkl meat

Default Care of Sharkl meat

Quick question. I have heard that you need to put fresh caught shark on ice because if you don' the meat can spoil within 2 hours. F & G can write you up for wanton wast. Is this true? Seems like I see a lot of pictures of boats returning with sharks tied to the swim step.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

the important thing for shark is to gut it ASAP!!!! if it is strong tasting... sear it good on one side and then trim that sear off that will pull the iodine in the meat to that side. most are tied to the swim step due to the size of them and inability to haul them on board and deck safety.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountry View Post
    Quick question. I have heard that you need to put fresh caught shark on ice because if you don' the meat can spoil within 2 hours. F & G can write you up for wanton wast. Is this true? Seems like I see a lot of pictures of boats returning with sharks tied to the swim step.
    GOOD GOD! Have not heard of this though I would not be surprised! That said you need to bleed them then and now, don't wait.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

In a nutshell, salmon sharks have no bladder. Waste is removed through the blood stream. Basically, once dead, urea turns to ammonia. This is the strong taste. They need to be bled, gutted, and iced to minimize and slow that process. If it's on the swim step, it better be packed with ice.