Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chest Freezers

Default Chest Freezers

I'm trying to figure how large a chest freezer I would need for 1 boned and packaged cut up moose. I will be driving up to Fairbanks in the fall and am wondering what size of freezer would work/ and going along with that how much meat would I get out of an average moose.

Thanks
    kingfisherktn

Size varies - you don't say spike or a big guy.

Surely a spiker would fit in a small SamsClub/Costco chest freezer of approx size 2' X 3' X 3' high

I'm thinking positive---a big guy.

If a big guy doesn't fit into that size, the extra would likely find its way into a freezer or two of the people up there in FBX that will surely take care of you before or after your hunt. Heck, you're like the sailor with a girl in every port, so far as knowing people all across AK - am I wrong?

I have a 5 cubic and a side freezer. I could not fit a whole 55" moose in there last year between the two. I would estimate I gave 150# away. So I kept 300-350# and both freezers were nothing but moose. Hope this helps

I think the one whose measurements I provided is 8 cu. foot.

It does, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    If a big guy doesn't fit into that size, the extra would likely find its way into a freezer or two of the people up there in FBX that will surely take care of you before or after your hunt. Heck, you're like the sailor with a girl in every port, so far as knowing people all across AK - am I wrong?

Just a few, thanks FM.

I find that I can fit about 100lbs of raw unpackage meat in a 1.65 cubic foot meat box. However it's only approximately 50 - 60lbs if it's cut and wrapped. 500lbs of packaged meat should fit in a 15 cubic foot freezer.

Shop Craigslist if you can.

Moose what moose, Fairbanks don't have any moose. You must be confused with somewhere else.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    Moose what moose, Fairbanks don't have any moose. You must be confused with somewhere else.
    This is just a feint, while you had your back turned we were going to stop at your place and raid your freezer of your bison, elk and any moose you got out of your back yard.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I'm trying to figure how large a chest freezer I would need for 1 boned and packaged cut up moose. I will be driving up to Fairbanks in the fall and am wondering what size of freezer would work/ and going along with that how much meat would I get out of an average moose.

Thanks
    kingfisherktn
    king man i have 3- 14 cf on my porch... cut wrapped and stacked... one of them will hold two mooses... game bagged and stacked for later processing one will hold 1 moose with some effort. a small 7-8 if cut and wrapped before you head home will cover all your needs on that end..

the real question is HOW much TIME are you willing to stay in fairbanks waiting for meat to process? last fall guys were waiting 4-22 weeks for processing.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince, thanks for the info.

We'll do semi-processing of the meat and put it into zippies then do the final at home and vacuum seal it.

Default This is just a feint, while you had your back turned we were going to stop at your pl

KATY BARR THE DOOR, and double up the locks on the freezers! You skippin through on the Rich or checking on your pond pad? I'm sure Ma would like to say hi if you can stop in. Have another K-towner coming up for sheep. Baaaaaaa
    Last edited by ACNDHO; 07-28-2010 at 22:25. Reason: didn't get full title

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    KATY BARR THE DOOR, and double up the locks on the freezers! You skippin through on the Rich or checking on your pond pad? I'm sure Ma would like to say hi if you can stop in. Have another K-towner coming up for sheep. Baaaaaaa

Not coming thru that way, we'll be heading to FB thru Delta. Now you can keep the locks off. Who's coming for sheep?

Default Who's coming for sheep?

Yonker and son Lee

14 cubic feet work and there and plenty around, check SAMS Club or Costco for most likely the best prices. That said you can get a lot more in a freezer the first time vice the second. Unfrozen packs tight but to thick unfrozen will take to long to freeze. Just carried this freezer down the ALCAN full of mostly fish but the last 200lbs of fish was put in unfrozen or it would not have fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Why a chest freezer? Meat has a better chance of freezer burn and you have more work to do (rotating the meat around) not to mention its easier to 'misplace' meat and you have to thaw it more often than you would a stand-up freezer. I grew up on with one of each in the garage and I'll never own a chest freezer again.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

It sounds like he is planning on bringing the freezer with him on the trip so a chest will probably fit in the truck a lot better. For use in the house though I love my 21cft upright freezer complete w/ a temp display and alarm

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    Why a chest freezer? Meat has a better chance of freezer burn and you have more work to do (rotating the meat around) not to mention its easier to 'misplace' meat and you have to thaw it more often than you would a stand-up freezer. I grew up on with one of each in the garage and I'll never own a chest freezer again.
    Lujon has it right. That upright wouldn't handle the trip down the Alcan very well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast