Thread: Bird Creek limit and in possesion limit

Default Bird Creek limit and in possesion limit

This question came up over the campfire one evening. Bird Creek signage says 3 salmon limit and 3 in possesion. I read it as this is for the day your fishing and until the 3 are consumed. The reason it came up is we actually saw this happen, what if a person was fishing friday evening and caught their limit then took the fish processed to thier vehicle then returned after midnight (saturday morning) and caught more for their saturday limit.
    I have seen it done like this on the Russian but didnt really question the practice as it is 3 per day and 6 in possesion. Can someone give me the right answer so if I see these guys again I can politely let them know what they are doing is wrong if it is wrong trying to hopefully educate some people as well as myself.

I don't know about Bird Creek specifically, but "posession" is clearly defined in the fishing regulations. Typically it means that the fish count toward the "posession" limit until they are processed far enough to be preserved in that state for a minimum of 15 days (fullly packaged and frozen or consumed). Just having them back in the truck or camp definitely does not count. Check the regs to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    This question came up over the campfire one evening. Bird Creek signage says 3 salmon limit and 3 in possesion. I read it as this is for the day your fishing and until the 3 are consumed. The reason it came up is we actually saw this happen, what if a person was fishing friday evening and caught their limit then took the fish processed to thier vehicle then returned after midnight (saturday morning) and caught more for their saturday limit.
    I have seen it done like this on the Russian but didnt really question the practice as it is 3 per day and 6 in possesion. Can someone give me the right answer so if I see these guys again I can politely let them know what they are doing is wrong if it is wrong trying to hopefully educate some people as well as myself.
    Read your regs a little closer, Russian is 3/day 3 in possesion..........anchskier is correct, after preserving your fish in matter than they are fit for consumption 15 days later (freezing, canning, smoking) they are out of your possesion. A person CAN legally catch a limit of salmon before midnight and as long as they are frozen solid, you may go back after midnight and catch another limit.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Thanks guys, I figured that as that is the way I read it too. Now i can tell Jimmy that he is wrong and that I will continue to stick to the daily limit while fishing. I don't all the mess from legalities of limits and possesions and such. Will also let anyone I see know they are past their limit also.

Default Limits...

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Read your regs a little closer, Russian is 3/day 3 in possesion..........anchskier is correct, after preserving your fish in matter than they are fit for consumption 15 days later (freezing, canning, smoking) they are out of your possesion. A person CAN legally catch a limit of salmon before midnight and as long as they are frozen solid, you may go back after midnight and catch another limit.
    I always thought it meant that if i go fishing, catch 3, throw them in the cooler those count as my limit. Now, after midnight i go back and catch 3 again, those 3 in the cooler count as in possession and the 3 i just caught count as my limit for that day. Logic being that if the F&G come by and see me with 6 in my cooler, i wouldn't get busted for overfishing. It's all so confusing..

Nope your last sentence spells it out. If you have 6 fish in your cooler, you have six fish in your possession. The reg is 3/day and no more than 3 in possession. that means you have to preserve the fish prior to catching another 3.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.