Thread: Trout in Portage Creek? Help a newbie!

Default Trout in Portage Creek? Help a newbie!

I am new to flyfishing. Want to make a quick overnight trip not far from Anchorage to practice. I thought camping a night at Portage would be fun. Is it worth it? Any trout or grayling in that creek? What advice/suggestions would you give me? What about Glacier Creek?

Thanks!

Must be a lot of dollies in that stream as I watched a guy soaking bait and nailing fish all over the place last year while waiting for the tunnel to Whittier to open. As for flies, not sure. Very silty water, maybe something bright orange? Glo Bug?

Thanks for your reply, kimjn,

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly do you mean by "soaking bait"? Using real bait instead of a fly? (Like I said, I am new at this so much of the terminology is lost on me!)

soaking bait is using eggs under a bobber, or sititng on the bottom. I have heard there is trout in there mostly dollies. But if you go now I am sure you will run into some salmon as well. A good spot to look is the clear "feeder" streams that dump into it, so you might have to walk a little.