Thread: Tent recommendations for Yukon hunt

Default Tent recommendations for Yukon hunt

There are three of us doing a hunt on the Yukon this fall. I am looking for recommendations on a tent. We will be taking a pretty big skiff so size will not be a big concern, I know about wall tents, but I was actually looking for something a little lighter weight and more versatile. What do all you Yukon regulars use?

Default Yukon hunt tent

What kind of tent do you guys recommend for 3 people. Taking a big skiff, size isn't really a concern. What do you Yukon regulars use?

Cabela's Alaskan Guide Model Tent - Spent 10 days in one w/3 guys worked great. Yukon interior hunt.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0043361.shtml
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Arctic Oven Arktika here, you cant go wrong with an AO10 either but the Arktika has a bit more room. But it and you wont be disappointed.

Arctic oven 10 x10 and get a stove you cant go wrong, Alaska tent and tarp has them. It will be cold on the hunt. Never found much from Cabelas that works in Alaska for long. Also a bomber shelter tent from Barneys.

Default Bombproof shelters versus weight savings.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    There are three of us doing a hunt on the Yukon ... looking for recommendations on a tent. ... looking for something a little lighter weight and more versatile...
    No experience on the Yukon, but recently committed to a larger, wind-worthy tent. Final decision was based on weight and no plans for winter camping for me, but like other Alaska gear, just depends on each individual's job requirements...

FWIW:
    1. The Arctic Oven is a 10x10 (9'6"x9'6"), 42 pound tent that's widely rated as "bombproof", ideal for many AK applications, but I'd wonder if maybe too small for 3 guys and gear? I think the new version (AO10 Extreme with integrated vestibule) might be 50 pounds.
    2. Barney's Bombshelter, also 10x10 and also widely rated bombproof - 52 pounds.
    3. The Arktika looked like a great, roomy tent. Gonna weigh more.
    4. Tepees: searching the forums I found the larger Kifaru and Titanium Goat tepee designs have their fans and offer lots of floor space per pound. Floorless and with stoves, the tepee shape tends to compromise headroom as you move away from the center, but they are light - even with stoves. My Vertex 8 with center pole and small box stove is about 12 pounds. VernAK has been the satisfied owner of a Kifaru 12-man tipi for near 10 years (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=titanium+goat). With titanium box stove, he weighed his package at under 20 pounds.
    5. Spendy dome designs: In the $2,000 to $2,500 range () the roomy but light Marmot Lair 8P (26#), Mtn Hardwear Satellite 6 (26#), and The North Face Dome 8 (57# 11oz). Hilleberg's Atlas Basic, $1,550, 19 pounds is another roomy dome (http://estore.websitepros.com/176479...ent/Detail.bok)

6. Cabela's Alaskan Guide Model Tents: as posted by tdelarm, I found a search of AOD posts revealed many, many believers in this tent for AK use - aluminum poles version. Three of my "Jedi-hunter" friends at work have used the 6-man tent (26#) for 2 hunters. One other guy used the 8-man for 2 guys - and that would likely work better for 3 hunters - not so much heavier either. I think this tent is an excellent compromise where fly-out weight is an issue. If you don't need a stove, they offer a lot of interior space in a secure shelter for most AK conditions.

BTW: AK Tent & Tarp (makers of the AO10 and Arktika) is a great company - producing quality tents and backing them up with great customer service. They've helped me with some other custom jobs - terrific folks. Search the forums and you'll find plenty of reason to be confident about buying any of their products if they fit your needs.

Good luck.