Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heading to Chicken for 'bou next month?

Default Anyone heading to Chicken for 'bou next month?

My wife told me to go shoot something this year and I came up empty on drawing tags. I normally fly out west for bou and moose, but time this year time is premium. Looking to head up for the Unit 20 hunt at the end of August.

Last year I know this hunt closed early, any thoughts on what this year will be like? Also, if anyone has any tips on areas to concentrate efforts on would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ERDucker; 07-27-2010 at 11:32. Reason: missing word

No real advice, but we went up north of Chicken last year and there was alot of other hunters (of course)...with the recent catastrophic road failures north of Chicken, I imagine that the pressure will be much greater in the Chicken ridge area unless some serious road repairs are completed in a hurry...

I'd love to go do that hunt again, but it wont happen this year

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    My wife told me to go shoot something this year and I came up empty on drawing tags. I normally fly out west for bou and moose, but time this year time is premium. Looking to head up for the Unit 20 hunt at the end of August.

Last year I know this hunt closed early, any thoughts on what this year will be like? Also, if anyone has any tips on areas to concentrate efforts on would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    wear orange.... lots of it. pay attention to the regs, EO's and posting by Fish and game at the hunt area, things may change around you daily according to herd movements. i suspect this year there will be a lot of folks in a hurry to get in and out to make their moose hunt on time also...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yea, definantly stay aware of who/what is around you in the hills..with spotting scope or binos!

I actually saw people scanning the hillsides with their rifle scopes!!!

I witnessed multiple hunters on opposing sides of a valley glassing towards each other! It can be pretty crazy at least near the road system...good luck, it is beautiful country. That alone was worth the drive..

I usually go North of Jack Wade Junction. Just heard on the news today that the Taylor is closed from there up to Eagle "until further notice" with no estimate on when it will be open. Not good for those of us who usually go there. And, if it isn't open, it will make the Chicken area that much more crowded. I also have heard them refer a number of times to a possible change in "method of harvest" which could mean to bow or muzzleloader. If that happens, there will indeed be a number of people that change their mind. I only hope they make any changes in time enough for us to plan an alternative hunt, not let us know at the last minute. Don't want to get into the same mode as the Unit 13 debacle.

Mike

It can be Golden or Dusty. I have been up there and shot them all within a hour of opening morning and then one season, never saw a caribou. Managed to get off a couple of good Sound Shots in the brush though. The bulk of the herd will be west of Chicken Ridge but you can also pick up stragglers along the West Dennison Fork River bottoms and less often on the Forty Mile River bottoms. There are several decent ATV trails between Jack Wade and Boundry. Go up three days before the season, ride in each of the trails and pick one with the most animals. Camp on the animals the night before season opens. Be at your vantage point at daylight. Try to make quick work of it, because the season will be short. When the shootin' starts, the Caribou go all over in circles, they don't run plumb out of the country. Watch for Wolves, it is festered up pretty bad with them.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlingmike View Post
    I also have heard them refer a number of times to a possible change in "method of harvest" which could mean to bow or muzzleloader. If that happens, there will indeed be a number of people that change their mind. I only hope they make any changes in time enough for us to plan an alternative hunt, not let us know at the last minute. Don't want to get into the same mode as the Unit 13 debacle.

Mike
    Just out of curiosity - who is "them" that you've heard was going to make these changes? First I've heard of this. Going to a bow only hunt would certainly cut the crowds down. I'd be there in a heartbeat.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

JMG, Sterling Mike is right. "Them" is the Alaska Board of Game, aided and abetted by the department. Look at the Bd of Game minutes from the Fairbanks meeting last spring. ADF&G, especially from Fairbanks, have been in the 40-Mile country getting people all excited about cranking down on the hunt. Now, what local wouldn't want to do that?

A question about the emergency order closure. I'm doing a fly-in moose hunt in 20E, we are going in hopefully on the 7th of Sept., if the bou season has not been closed when I fly in, can I still harvest a bou even if the emergency order comes after I fly in? I would'nt now about the closure after I fly in. Also, as I understand, I can put my moose tag on a bou, as long as I have a bou registration permit. Is that correct? Thanks. Knute

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlingmike View Post
    I usually go North of Jack Wade Junction. Just heard on the news today that the Taylor is closed from there up to Eagle "until further notice" with no estimate on when it will be open. Not good for those of us who usually go there. And, if it isn't open, it will make the Chicken area that much more crowded. I also have heard them refer a number of times to a possible change in "method of harvest" which could mean to bow or muzzleloader. If that happens, there will indeed be a number of people that change their mind. I only hope they make any changes in time enough for us to plan an alternative hunt, not let us know at the last minute. Don't want to get into the same mode as the Unit 13 debacle.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Just out of curiosity - who is "them" that you've heard was going to make these changes? First I've heard of this. Going to a bow only hunt would certainly cut the crowds down. I'd be there in a heartbeat.

IF those changes are made they will be in certain small areas, near the road. there was no talk about making this hunt weapons restricted, except by EO in cases where the caribou may be stacked up on or very near the road. it is most like that those sections of road will be closed to hunting altogether.

no one relay knows what is going to happen this year. if the heard does it typical migartion... by the end of Aug the herd will be spread out across the range allowing hunters to spread out more then has been allowed the last few years.

Knute78, it is YOUR responsibly to know the status of EO's before you hunt. i would suggest you have a sat phone along to call and check the recording.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks, Vince. I plan on having a sat phone with me. Hopefully the moose will cooperate, and I won't have to deal with the EO issue. Knute

Default Can NOT hunt RC860 permit and moose at same time in 20E

Quote Originally Posted by Knute78
    I'm doing a fly-in moose hunt in 20E, we are going in hopefully on the 7th of Sept., if the bou season has not been closed when I fly in, can I still harvest a bou even if the emergency order comes after I fly in? I would'nt now about the closure after I fly in. Also, as I understand, I can put my moose tag on a bou, as long as I have a bou registration permit. Is that correct? Thanks. Knute
    Knute,

You can not hunt the RC 860 caribou permit and moose at the same time in 20E. Here is part of the frequently asked questions on that from F&G website:
    http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...ibou.40milefaq

1. If I take a caribou in the Taylor Highway/Yukon River area, can I still hunt moose? Yes, but you must turn in your RC860 permit and report first. The rule of thumb here is that you can only have one permit (RC 860 or RM 865) at a time, but you may exchange one permit for the other.
    2. Can I carry the RC860 registration permit for caribou and a general harvest ticket for moose at the same time? Yes, but you may not hunt moose in the Taylor Highway area of unit 20e with a general harvest moose ticket. You are free to hunt moose in other areas of the state managed as general harvest areas.

Mark,
    Thanks for the reply and the link. I guess I'm still a little confused, though. I won't be hunting the Taylor Highway, so as I read the reqs., I would be able to posses both, as per #2 in your post. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks. Knute

Quote Originally Posted by Knute78 View Post
    Mark,
    Thanks for the reply and the link. I guess I'm still a little confused, though. I won't be hunting the Taylor Highway, so as I read the reqs., I would be able to posses both, as per #2 in your post. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks. Knute
    you may posses both... but if you possess the caribou tag you may not hunt moose in that area... if you want to hunt moose you have to turn in the caribou tag FIRST #1

meet on face book here

Knute, which of the three zones will you be hunting in?

Here's a link with a map:
    http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...caribou.40mile

http://newsminer.com/view/full_story...ce=alaska_news

FAIRBANKS After several days of emergency reconstruction, Alaska Department of Transportation crews have completed temporary repairs on the Taylor Highway between Chicken and the Top of the World Highway.

The highway will be open to its junction with the Top of the World starting at 7 a.m. Thursday. No traffic will be allowed through before that time.

Drivers are advised that the road is extremely rough, and extended delays are possible. Extreme caution is advised.

The highway will remain closed beyond the junction, from 95 Mile to 160 Mile, until further notice. Travel to the Canadian border is open, but no access to Eagle is possible. A damage assessment team will survey the highway today and Friday to determine when the remaining section of the highway will be reopened.

Read more: Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Taylor Highway partially reopens Thursday

meet on face book here

One of the "them" I referred to is also the 40 mile caribou hot line 907-267-2310. "THEY" said that openings may be delayed or weapons restrictions put in place on short notice. Guess I'll have my bow in the truck with me when I arrive................I just hope the north road is repaired by then.

Mike

Mark,
    As per the map, it looks like I will be in zone #2, dropped off up stream from Joseph on the Middle Fork e Forty-Mile. Knute

Knute,
    If you are hunting 40 mile caribou Zone 2 of the RC860 registration hunt you may also hunt moose with a harvest ticket in the same area, depending on your arrival. The season for Bull caribou starts August 10th till Sept.20th in Zone 2 ,and the season for 50 inch or 4 brow tine moose for non-resident hunters is Sept 8th thru Sept.17th.

Knute,

I think the quota in Zone 2 is still 160 animals. Last year Zone 2 was closed by emergency order on Sept 18th.

So...given
    that the word I'm hearing is that Zone 2 is gonna be hit extra hard this year cuz it's the only zone that still opens on Aug 10th, and that zone sees the most non-resident hunting pressure...I would be real surprised if that zone is still open on Sept 7th for caribou. Course it all depends on where the caribou are this season.

The way I read the regs, if you're in Zone 2 you can hunt both moose and caribou at the same time if you are hunting moose with a general harvest ticket and have an RC 860 permit. But it's real confusing and I can't say for sure so you should check with the appropriate agency ahead of time. Give Jeff Gross in Tok a call, he is the area biologist. Double check with Wildlife Troopers too to make sure.

Pretty country out that way, enjoy your hunt,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast