Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Flip n Rip

Default Kenai Flip n Rip

Spent a great weekend in Soldotna flipping for reds, my husband and I limiting out both days we were there. The only sour experience we had was from a group of people doing the "rip" thing just upstream of us. They were in a prime hole loaded with fish and kept snagging these beautiful fish on every few casts, I guess hoping to get at least one of them in the mouth. It took my husband and I a few hours to get our 12 fish total doing the flip and drift method with only two fouls. The rip group walked out of there with only a few fish to show for all the work. I was getting exhausted and angry just watching them. They were hooking them in the eyes, fins, tail, belly, sides, throat, and who knows where else. Some were bleeding profusely when released.

Why in the world is this rip technique even legal on the Kenai? Do that most anywhere else and you get cited for snagging. What is so difficult in just making that short cast, drifting the fly downstream with the current, gently pulling the line back in, and flip the fly back out?

I realize that reds probably do not bite as other salmon do so lining them is the key yet the "rip" method leaves so many fish permanently scarred. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    the "rip" method leaves so many fish permanently scarred. So sad.
    so does filleting them
    Semper Fi!

I realize that reds probably do not bite as other salmon do so lining them is the key yet the "rip" method leaves so many fish permanently scarred. So sad.
    A LOT more are maimed by nets, but you hear very little about the method being stopped. The methods employed are the methods we tolerate. IMO, the only surefire method to stop the madness, is to mandate all caught Reds be retained as your bag limit and require your fishing stop, when your bag limit is reached. To continue down this road we are on now, is pretty danged ignorant.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I might have missed this in the regulations but where does it say that the "rip technique is legal" on the Kenai?

I thought intention to snag was illegal it is more a matter of ticketing the behavior and not just the results

like there isn't enough of them in the water that one would have to do that any way right???????? If they knew how to fish and where fishing in the current instead of slack wateror not using 10 lbs of sinkers they wouldn't have to "rip"

Thanks guys for the input.

OK, I guess the method is tolerated on the Kenai because none of the fish cops do anything about it. Have seen them ticket people for fishing in closed waters and keeping snagged fish but not for ripping. To continue with the practice, not only salmon suffer. What about the rainbows and dollies that get nailed in the process? If you retain all reds you snag, what about those big rainbows on the upper Kenai? Do you pile those on to your daily bag limit as well? This logic doesn't fly with me.

How about a happy medium in all of this? Stop the ripping and keep reds accidentally snagged by legal means. Will that work? Not sure it will because you have to apply the same principle to other fisheries unless you make the regulation Kenai specific. I can easily see that the harvest would increase exponentially and that may not be exactly what we want. The status quo is not working. Need some clarity on this, so fire away guys!

well I say if you snag a fish not "ripping" and manage to get it in keep it, and once you hit your 3 or 6 which ever the e.o. is then your done.
    If you want to c&r with out "ripping" fine, catch two and fish till your done and then keep the third. As for bows and what not, they will be fine. Have you seen how beat up some of those fish are? I honesly don't think people should use the "rip" not only is bad for the fish but people standing around the people doing it. Hooks do fly out of fish and the water! And further more like I said before the "rip" is not needed to catch fish. And just a side note that comes to mind........if people wouldn't stand up to their neck in the water, the fish would come to you.

Thanks guys for the input.

OK, I guess the method is tolerated on the Kenai because none of the fish cops do anything about it. Have seen them ticket people for fishing in closed waters and keeping snagged fish but not for ripping. To continue with the practice, not only salmon suffer. What about the rainbows and dollies that get nailed in the process? If you retain all reds you snag, what about those big rainbows on the upper Kenai? Do you pile those on to your daily bag limit as well? This logic doesn't fly with me.

How about a happy medium in all of this? Stop the ripping and keep reds accidentally snagged by legal means. Will that work? Not sure it will because you have to apply the same principle to other fisheries unless you make the regulation Kenai specific. I can easily see that the harvest would increase exponentially and that may not be exactly what we want. The status quo is not working. Need some clarity on this, so fire away guys!
    This method does not fly with me either. All it does it promote snagging and pretty soon there is no one "fishing" anymore. All they will be doing is snagging because it's easier.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

There is a thread in the management section discussing keeping snagged fish in the Russian. It is really the same discussion......

My post was simply to correct the original post. Intention to snag is not allowed.

As for the question later "need some clarification" -- really none should be needed (not trying to be rude just honest).

The may not be ticketing for it (they definately SHOULD be) but intent to snag is not allowed, keeping snagged fish no matter how the hook got snagged is not allowed.

You can argue back and forth what is right and wrong and hey take it up with the authorities - but those are the rules.

if you are getting angry and exhausted watching them, go fish somewhere else, turn around and dont watch, or better yet call FWP and then you can sleep easier at night knowing you did your civic duty. How can you get "exhausted" by watching someone? Thats kinda odd.

People are going to get them socks any way they can right now - there simply aint enough enforcement out there to handle it, but rest assured, quite a few are getting nailed. In the grand scheme of things, the few that get injured are so inconsequential on the run its not even funny. Besides - those "beautiful" fish are going to be pussheads before you know it, and my guess is most of them are still going to get up river and spawn...unless ofc someone else further upriver snags them in the mouth instead of the blowhole

i love ripping fish lips off, gives me great pleasure, i even filet them while they are still ALIVE! EEK!
    Semper Fi!

kimjn,
    I couldn't agree with you more. This is a sport fishery not subsistence. Really how hard is it to catch a red in the mouth...pretty basic fishing.

Default ripping is already illegal

and dangerous, selfish - demonstrates who can not fish at all and shows who is not even a little bit of a sportsman.

AKRES - the point you are missing is human nature. You make illegal snagging legal and we will have rippers everywhere in bigger numbers - it will be a nightmare.

With cell phones everywhere these days, I would be somewhat reluctant to count on not being turned in if I were ripping.

It is easy to say to ignore, move or whatever when these selfish ignorant non-sportsmen are rip and dragging, but that is not really practical as these types seem to get everywhere. Quite frankly, the resource belongs to all Alaskans and they should not be pushed out by these non-sportsmen.

Oh well - enough of my rant. I got my six again today and yesterday and the day before. Accidentally hooked two additional other than the mouth today. I was avoiding the hook from a ripper... Gently worked them in. Keep them in the water. Removed the hook, Revived them and sent them on there way. Yeah I feel good about it.

good post traderjon ....glad to hear you'll be legitimately enjoying sockeye this winter

Default Where to fish?

Where do you fish in Soldotna? I've been to Bings, the Russian, and behind the college. I'd like to try some different spots. Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Linin' reds...."Snaggin with Style" if you can force feed a sockeye, are you truly a better sportsman? Or just a better "snagger" food for thought

Im enjoying the socks I caught while dippin, and mouth snaggin, and so are my friends and neighbors. Sometimes I am even enjoying them raw.

You'd be amazed at the hardward you can force into the mouth of a red. Its comical at times.

Spent enough time down at Moose River this weekend to be completely unimpressed with the way people conduct themselves. Saw a group of young adults "catching" fish in any location but the mouth. Finally walked over to the gal fishing and asked her if she knew that they were illegally caught and her reply was "so". They gathered their fish and left. Used to have Soldotna trooper hotline on my old phone. Now I know I need to get it and put it in my new phone. I just couldn't believe that the 30 other people fishing there didn't say a word.

I dont find it hard to hook them in the mouth. Flossing? Yes it is but no Kenai twitch here. You just dont need to snag to take your limit unless you really dont have a clue. I was at Soldotna last week and hooked a big King. it **** near pulled me in. It was on for about 5 seconds before it snapped me off. I was to busy trying to stay upright in the river. That was a rush!!

I can tell this is quite an emotional issue. It is to me at least. The path of least resistance is often the best so my suggestion would be that the "rip" in flipping be made illegal. Dancing around the issue and making excuses for its continued use is not an option since it carries too many "if's" and "but's" along with it. I do realize that even just flipping a fly out and letting it drift with the current is enough to "line" sockeyes and whatever else, but at least that method stays consistent with state regulations and minimizes foul-hooked fish.

Yes, watching that group of people rip those fish made me exhausted. First of all, the physical act itself of having to jerk the rod hard to one side over and over and over again looks strenuous. Second, you have to battle snagged fish every few casts if they are running thick as they were last weekend. As you all know, fish that are snagged in the tail or back or sides are tough to bring in and they thrash around and tear line out much more than a fish hooked in the mouth. Third, people around the rippers have to wait patiently for them to reel in the snagged fish (over, and over, etc), an exercise that can take quite some time. Less fishing time for me and others. Also, I bet the fish get nervous and other species such as kings and silvers develop lockjaw.

Go somewhere else? No, why should I let this group of people ruin my day on the water in one of my favorite holes? I observe what I perceive as a problem and face it. Things need to change and me running away from it will not solve anything.

I apologize if I have offended anyone here by my rant. Please don't take my words too personally if you are a "ripper". I have always been a little over the top on emotional issues. That's just me. Sorry.

open the entire lower river to dipnets but only allow 3 per day problem solved
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast