Thread: Question about eielson

Default Question about eielson

I am heading up to fill my cow tag DM741 around the first of Sept. I know the area but haven't hiked around the eielson property line. I was wonderring if it is well posted on the south side of the Richardson. I am looking at where the line stops, not the line right next to the road. I talked to the head bio up there and he wasn't even aware that there was military land on the south side of the Richardson. i.e. (the sloughs across from eielson are still eielson land.)

Any info would help, Thanks.

mallardman, I have not explored much along the property line so I can't answer your question, but here is a map of the hunting areas on Eielson. Everything not in color is no hunting allowed or not Eielson property. I hope this helps out. I drew the same tag as well; however, I plan to do it with my bow which allows me to hunt the Eielson property (bow only). If you are willing to use a bow, I can explain the process of how to get qualified to bow hunt Eielson.

Attachment 36952

Terry

Tiger15- I have the rec pass for Wainwright, but was told that I needed to go through a class or something to hunt Eilson property. In addition I have also heard that Eielson has its own bow certification, any info would be appreciated.

ga2akwild, Eielson does have their own bow certification shoot you have to pass in order to hunt Eielson property. Eielson property is bow only for any bull from Sep 1 -Sep 15. The bow shoot consists of 4 shots (you have to hit 3 out of 4 to pass) at a moose sized target with broadheads. The shot range usually averages between 35-40 yeards. The next shoot dates for the moose qualification are as follows: Aug 10 4:30-5:30, Aug 26 11:30-12:30. Then you have to attend two hunting briefings at the Department of Natural Resources on Eielson. The first hunting briefing gets your hunting permit allowing you to hunt small game and such on Eielson. Those briefings are held every Wednesday at 0830 and every Friday at 1500. The second hunting briefing is specifically for the moose hunt and they are scheduled for 26 Aug at 1700 and 31 Aug at 1130. If you need to contact DNR to ask any specific questions their number is 377-5182, but I am more than willing to help you out!

Terry