Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Gear have you found when Hunting?

Default What Gear have you found when Hunting?

Some of my best camp stories have revolved around items I have found
    on the trail and in the bush. Some I have been able to return and have had gear returned to me by other hunters. The laundry list of gear includes, Knives, compasses,f lashlights, more Knives, all manner of camp equipment as far as that goes partial camps strewn down the trail, more knives, boots, hats, a back pack that had been out for a year "no ID" it was tore up but contained A set of Nikon binoculars, two nice compasses, GPS garmon " I put new batts in and it still worked but had no ID logged into it". When you find these items on the trail its one thing but when your of in the deep country it makes you think what the hell happened here.

My most memorable find is a Buck 119 Knife while on a trophy mule deer hunt near bonderant Wyoming, some 13 miles from the trail head I shot my 5x5 33" but after I was done dressing him out there was a reflection of metal some ten feet away. Sure enough it was a Buck 119 in good condition. I wrapped it between two sticks and duct taped it together and headed back to camp to relish in my new find and share the story with guys. Well, I put it away in my bag so when I got out I could get a sheath for it. You see, from that hunt I went directly to my family Elk hunt in Colorado. So, on the way I stopped at a army surplus store in Glenwood Springs and picked up a temporary sheath until I could order one from Buck knives. Bad idea, some five miles from camp it slipped out of the cheap ass sheath and when i got back to camp I realized what happened so after all the guys had there turns joking about it. I set off on foot to re-trace my steps and hope I might get lucky and find it again. Well, turns out that it broke out where I loaded up the horses but I found it. Returning to camp victorious we all had a good laugh about it. Now, the story is not over yet for you see, dad and I stop at the Cabela's Sydney Nebraska store on our way home every year. While we were their it dawned on us to check the bargain cave to see if they had any buck 119 knives returned broken that still had a sheath. You know what they did so went to check out. It was at that point that the cashier inquired why I was buying a broken knife. So, I told her the story she inturn informed us that Buck knives had a booth set up on the other end of the store and that they may have a new sheath or send me one. Well, on this new intel dad and I went to the booth and you know what?... the guy sitting their was none other than Chuck Buck himself and he was signing knives. He took the time to hear the story of the knife that I found in Wyoming lost in Colorado only to find it again, and on this he told me to go get it, so I did He engraved GOOD FIND STEW CHUCK BUCK and good hunting on the other side.

I take that knife on every trip it has a luck about it .
    ** note Chuck sent me a new 119 sheath. What a great guy

My absolute best find was something of my own that I had lost the previous year.

My first successful sheep hunt was a solo walk-in hunt when I was 19. It was one of the hardest and most rewarding things I have ever done - I learned things about myself that trip that I could not have any other place. Anyhow, I didn't own a decent camera at the time, so I was relegated to snapping pictures of the sheep with a waterproof disposable camera. I wasn't able to pose with the ram, but I was happy to be able to take the pictures nonetheless. After two days of packing the sheep and camp back to my truck, I headed home. While unpacking at home, I was horrified to find that I had lost my camera. I was 99% certain that I had seen it sitting on the floor of my truck, so I could only assume that it had fallen out at the gas station on the way home. Sad doesn't even begin to describe how I felt.

Fast forward to the next season. My friend and I returned to the same area on Aug. 8th to scout (unsuccessfully) for sheep. While rock-hopping along the ridge within 30 feet of a 4,000 ft. summit, my friend trips over a rock and falls. The rock rolled over, and lying there underneath it is a waterproof disposable camera just like the one I had lost. I told him the story and how odd it was to find a similar camera here, but I was certain that it wasn't my camera as I remembered seeing it in my truck after the hunt. We took the camera with us and shot up the remaining few pictures, although we assumed that the film wouldn't be any good.

When I returned to town I dropped the camera off at Costco. When I opened up those pictures a few days later my jaw dropped. Not only was it my camera, but the pictures of my sheep were perfectly crystal clear. That camera had sat on top of a mountain for an entire year, through snowfall and rain that I can only imagine, and the film remained undamaged. Incredible! After seeing my grandfather's hunting scrapbook that goes back to the 30's, it became very important to me to put together something that I could show my own grandchildren someday. Having this picture back was such a blessing. I've been meaning to write Kodak for 10 years now, but have never taken the time to do it. I just can't believe that these little cameras are so tough. Even more amazing was that my friend happened to trip over that one rock. We didn't see the camera until it rolled over. Unbelievable.

-Brian

man thats cool you got your pics back! what are the odds..

i was guiding on kodiak, slipped down a hill, put my hands down to slow myself and when i hit the bottom i stood up and i had a bone in my hand...about a foot long and about the size of my leg bones, not a deer bone, i've seen plenty of those, and it wasn't bear...so i looked around and the next thing i found was a compass...??!! you tell me...sure looked like a human bone to me.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Two spotting scopes, one cheepie, one HIGH$. A Conquistidors Breast Plate, Helmet and Knife. Arrowheads, Spear Points, Pottery, all of Indian origin. A wagon wheel, motorcycle, an ornate Brass Spitoon, wallet with money and ID(dang it), a couple of good places to pan for gold (went back and actually found some). A beat up pistol, placed in a tree, couple of cheap hunting knives. One Tundra Orphan, yes, a young lady,she was lost, her boyfriend had left her and never returned. We cared for her, thinking she might be a keeper. Little lady thought otherwise, so we returned her to her family 200 miles away. A blood hound, with a huge collar, turned out the collar was filled with dope. Turned it over to the Border Patrol. Too many finds to remember them all.

I found a knife sitting on a rock once. I left it there because it wasn't mine.

Mostly I find old surveyor's ribbon tied all over hell and back. I pluck it and stow it. Surveyor's ribbon isn't part of nature. If you use it to find your way back, you have no excuse not to collect it on the way out.

Can't think of anything I have found while hunting. fishing is a different story. The best was a small tackle box I had lost years before while fishing the runoff at Paxson. I had lost it on the right side while fishing downstream. Found it about 3 years later on the left side while fishing downstream. How it managed to float across the river and up on the bank I have no idea. Sure was glad to get it back. Still had all of my lures in it.

Default some gear, something odd

I have also found various gear over the years. Mainly off of snowmachines and atv's. To me the strangest was something natural. While sheep hunting out of nabezna, I came across a bear den. In and around this den I found evidence of five or six sheep carcasses. It looked a little like the lair in "The Ghost and the Darkness". Bones, horns, hair strewn everywhere; some recent others obvisouly from previous years. This was in August. I was under the impression bears didnt drag animals back to there dens or frequent them through the whole year.

I found a black bear skeleton while guiding spring bear hunts one year. I still have the skull in my house.

I also found two $100 bills. It's a long story I'll try to make short. Two years pror to me finding the bills a friend of the guide I was working for was visiting and lost his money clip with $500 in it while stalking a moose. Well two years later myself and a client went down off the same lookout spot after a bull. We were walking along on a game trail just getting ready to break out of the timber when i saw the money on the ground. At the time I didn't want to take the time to look for the other $300, but after my cllient shot his moose my helper and I looked all over for the rest of the money. never did find it.

The bills were in good enough shape, a little green, but okay. After the season my son and I stopped at a burger joint on the way home to get a good greasy cheese burger and fries. I gave the guy one of the bills I found as payment. He wouldn't take it saying it was no good. My son and I had a good laugh knowing the dude had no choice. He finally took it and we went on our way.

Unhappy lost

a rx3 range finder last year on the haul rd. I got it 2 days before I left for the trip, $300 down the drain. At least I got to use it

Default Moose Hunting

about 8 years ago and came across two motorcycles underneath a tarp and chained to a tree about 2-3 miles from the road. They had been there a while. Left em, never really thought about them again till now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I found a knife sitting on a rock once. I left it there because it wasn't mine.

Mostly I find old surveyor's ribbon tied all over hell and back. I pluck it and stow it. Surveyor's ribbon isn't part of nature. If you use it to find your way back, you have no excuse not to collect it on the way out.
    I hate seeing it to!

Post What gear have you found when hunting.

It was a miserable day (several actually) waiting for the weather to clear to head up the mountain sheep hunting. When looking for some firewood, found a large split stick that another party had used for cribbage. They had taken a nail, heated it and used this to make the holes for the cribbage pegs. They were most likely enjoying their weather as much as I was enjoying this! Wish I could say I still had it but gave it to one of the guys I was hunting with.

Unhappy Lost but not found

On the way back from a Caribou trip on the Steese, I placed my favorite pack over the tank of my wheeler (It looked like a paperboy deliverey pack) and never seen it again since then, too bad becuase it contained a new 4 season tent and much more. Someone had a good find!
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

I've found some cool stuff, but my most vivid memory was losing a rifle that meant a lot of me, but saving my life.

At age 13 dad gave me a model 70 chambered in .300 win mag. I hunted with that gun exclusively, for all speices, until it nearly killed me at around age 30.
    I was hunting Goats, we had taken a boat from Homer. Through a serious of events of being young & dumb, hunting hard & not knowing when to stop, I found myself on some really nasty Goat cliffs that I had no business being on. The particular cliff I was barley hanging onto would have lead to a serious drop of several hundred feet on some really rough jagged rocks. I still remember the place and still remember thinking no one would live through that fall. Between the wind, freezing rain, loosing what grip I had with my hands, and my will to live; when the gun swung over and knocked me good in the head (it was over my shoulder) ...probably knocked some since into me. Anyway, my hand slipped loose from the rock I was trying to hold, gun knocked me in the noodle, gun fell several hundred feet as I watched, quickly grapped for anything I could and in a panic, a move that could never be duplicated, I managed to get back to the top. The gun acutaly didn't fall all the way to the bottom, it ended up on a small ledge about 1/2 down the cliff. I tried everything I could think of to dislodge the gun and make it fall the rest of the way down so I could retrive it, threw rocks & sticks..but nothing worked. Injured, cold & wet, about 1/2 hypothermic, feeling dejected and sad, knowing I had made some poor choices that day that dang near cost me my life, I finally started to make my way back to camp. That old gun is probably still in the same place. Someone with some serious mountain training and a good [long] set of ropes could scale down and get it...maybe someday I'll return for it. In the mean time, if anyone else every find a dated model 70 that is has been scribed on the floor plate "pass it along", this is my rifle that dad gave me years ago and I'd kindy appricate getting it back.

Opening week of sheep season (when the hell are permits coming out, I've been checking like crazy), I had called it a hunt and was heading out on the wheeler, when low and behold, right there on the trail, was a full Samual Adams...best tasting beer I ever had!!!
    J

Default What gear have you found when hunting?

My son and I picked up a pair of Zeiss Dialyt 8x30 binos while deer hunting last year. The only thing visible was the glass shining, that's what caught our attention. They looked like they'd been there at least 20 years. The swivel hinge in the middle is frozen and the rubber eye cups and straps have been chewed off by mice. Rest of the rubber armour coating is severely cracked. We're thinking of sending them in to the factory for refurbishing.

I found a bow saw in middle of the Little Susitna River. I was doing a float trip for moose. I still use it today as a camp saw. A good find.
    An unarmed person is a victim waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron_Lamb View Post
    I've found some cool stuff, but my most vivid memory was losing a rifle that meant a lot of me, but saving my life.

At age 13 dad gave me a model 70 chambered in .300 win mag. I hunted with that gun exclusively, for all speices, until it nearly killed me at around age 30.
    I was hunting Goats, we had taken a boat from Homer. Through a serious of events of being young & dumb, hunting hard & not knowing when to stop, I found myself on some really nasty Goat cliffs that I had no business being on. The particular cliff I was barley hanging onto would have lead to a serious drop of several hundred feet on some really rough jagged rocks. I still remember the place and still remember thinking no one would live through that fall. Between the wind, freezing rain, loosing what grip I had with my hands, and my will to live; when the gun swung over and knocked me good in the head (it was over my shoulder) ...probably knocked some since into me. Anyway, my hand slipped loose from the rock I was trying to hold, gun knocked me in the noodle, gun fell several hundred feet as I watched, quickly grapped for anything I could and in a panic, a move that could never be duplicated, I managed to get back to the top. The gun acutaly didn't fall all the way to the bottom, it ended up on a small ledge about 1/2 down the cliff. I tried everything I could think of to dislodge the gun and make it fall the rest of the way down so I could retrive it, threw rocks & sticks..but nothing worked. Injured, cold & wet, about 1/2 hypothermic, feeling dejected and sad, knowing I had made some poor choices that day that dang near cost me my life, I finally started to make my way back to camp. That old gun is probably still in the same place. Someone with some serious mountain training and a good [long] set of ropes could scale down and get it...maybe someday I'll return for it. In the mean time, if anyone else every find a dated model 70 that is has been scribed on the floor plate "pass it along", this is my rifle that dad gave me years ago and I'd kindy appricate getting it back.
    Oh man thats a bad feeling I almost was taken over the edge by a rock slide " I pulled a Fred Flintstone and spun my legs, kick slate and got out of there" it still haunts me today I'm sure you feel the same sry about the
    rifle but better it then you.
    http://www.myhuntandfishspace.com/elkslayer/

Not "gear" per se, but while moose hunting I found an unopened, still sealed, half pint of whiskey that looked like it had seen some weather, judging by the faded lable. May have been there for years for all I know. So I put it in my pocket and took it back to camp. A few days later I gave it to a guy in another camp who scored a nice bull moose. Figgured he needed a celabratory swig more that I.

Talking

D C Coopers Back Pack

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast