Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last Saturday in Seward

Exclamation Last Saturday in Seward

The wife and I had the motorhome on the waterfront this last weekend. Burning wood, tipping a cold one, and watching the boats come and go. And then I saw something, I never would have imagined. The Coast Guard cutter (Mustang) comes into the head of the bay towing a 28' Bayliner. Since when does the Coast Guard provide towing service? I figure somebody got arrested for something bad. That's the only thing I can think of. Has anyone ever see the CG tow a private boat before?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Maybe it is their dingy????

Passed the CG in Colross Passage like 6 weeks ago pulling an old 22-24ft cabin cruiser, had to slow down because we met them in the narrows on the North end; it was that red runabout with twins.
    I think if they have the time they will assist, but if something more urgent comes up your tow gets dropped.
    Last edited by breausaw; 07-27-2010 at 10:30. Reason: add-on
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Maybe it is their dingy????

Way too funny..................!

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Passed the CG in Colross Passage like 6 weeks ago pulling an old 22-24ft cabin cruiser, had to slow down because we met them in the narrows on the North end; it was that red runabout with twins.
    I think if they have the time they will assist, but if something more urgent comes up your tow gets dropped.
    Yeah saw them too when we caught up to them at the Whittier harbor. Was wondering the same thing as to since when they tow boats.

The Coast Guard will only provide tow if there is immediate danger to life and also if there isn't any commercial tow available or wants to respond. Not sure of the circumstances in this case. The vessel seen in Whittier is an Coast Guard Auxilary Vessel and for the most part follow the same set of protocal as active duty. Basically the govt isn't supposed to compete with private industry providing the same service is the position taken, however if none is available they will provide towing. The men and women crewing the Aux vessel are volunteers.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    The wife and I had the motorhome on the waterfront this last weekend. Burning wood, tipping a cold one, and watching the boats come and go. And then I saw something, I never would have imagined. The Coast Guard cutter (Mustang) comes into the head of the bay towing a 28' Bayliner. Since when does the Coast Guard provide towing service? I figure somebody got arrested for something bad. That's the only thing I can think of. Has anyone ever see the CG tow a private boat before?
    That USCG Cutter providing the tow was the USCG Cutter Long Island based in Valdez. It was towing the 24' Bayliner Wildfire after they were dead in the water at Cheval Island on Saturday. The Wildfire lost its main engine and its kicker was unable to fight the wind and sea conditions. I am glad the Coast Guard appeared because the seas very pretty rough between Cheval and Caines Head. I did not think that the Coast Guard towed private boats as a normal procedure, but several of the pleasure boats were unable to make the tow due to rough weather and sea conditions.

I, for one, would like to thank the USCG for being responsive and helping save lives and equipment.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TooLoose View Post
    That USCG Cutter providing the tow was the USCG Cutter Long Island based in Valdez. It was towing the 24' Bayliner Wildfire.
    Well at least I got the Coast Guard and the Bayliner part right. Any yes, high five to our Coast Guard! They save lives where no one else could.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

USCG is awesome. That is only one of the services they provide. First they try to get local craft to assist but when they cant as case in point the weather and sea conditions at Cheval, they will dispatch the cutter mustang

Quote Originally Posted by PA14piper View Post
    USCG is awesome. That is only one of the services they provide. First they try to get local craft to assist but when they cant as case in point the weather and sea conditions at Cheval, they will dispatch the cutter mustang
    I totally agree that they are GREAT!!!!!!!!!

They towed me into a Anchor spot once out of Whittier, when I went dead in the water. The kicked was not getting me out of trouble fast enough. It was all I asked them to do, I know I was fixable, but could I fix it before I hit the rocks.

KODOOO's to the USCG and Aux for being there!

As stated here, unless you have a strong kicker youíre often at the mercy of the weather. After 2 and a half seasons on my boat I still donít have a kicker, been looking but just havenít run across a dissent used one. We troll just fine with the main so a kicker would just be an expensive 80lb insurance policy hanging off the stern. I actually bought this boat from an active Coast Guard Officer who had been stationed in Cordova, he said if you took care of your motor and understood the systems and how to work on them a kicker was just a waste of money.
    I do all my own maintenance and repair and trust my ability to maintain the systems on my boat. If however my vessel was a few years older and had an inboard I would be more concerned with having a kicker, but with newer marine outboards you just donít see catastrophic breakdowns unless the motor has been totally neglected maintenance wise.
    Iím still looking for a good deal on a reliable kicker, and convinced that my next boat or repower on this one will be with twins.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I am now a believer in having a kicker as a backup. My main (VP 5.7 fuel injected with only 220hrs on it) threw a rod, cracked the block very unexpectedly around 8:30pm on Sunday about a month ago near Main Bay. Spent 6.5 hrs getting back to Whittier on my kicker. Lots of time to meditate, count ones blessings, and acquire a stiff butt from sitting on the transom, but the "journey" went well with the incoming tide and good weather. Still made it to work on time Monday morning

Well I am glad they helped. I do not believe it is ever a matter of "if" you will need help, it's "when"... I had the misfortune last year of needing a hand in Seward and was lucky enough to get it. Not from the coast guard or another boater but a local business. I am also sad to say I had some valve issues with my fuel tanks and actually ran out of fuel for all my diesel engines including the gen set. It was a real bad blowing windy day and by accident things went from bad to worse in that the person that helped me out assured they brought some diesel out to me only to find out it was gas. However, I did not taste or smell it first. Found out the hard way. Long story short, I learned an awful lot that day to say the least.

Not two weeks later I heard over the radio someone needing a tow and the CG didn't seem to be able to help for whatever reason (and I am not holding anything against them), but decided to lend a hand and I towed them in from 17 miles out. At 7 mph it took a bit, but I felt good about doing it and hope that others if given the chance can/will help out in whatever way they can.

Safe boating to all...
    Tony

It's not often I can add to a forum with the actual picture of the event... but I was down there Sunday and saw the tow in action. Funny, because I was camping that weekend in Seward rather than out on my boat out of Whittier because my kicker wasn't starting up and was being fixed. I only have one engine on my 2359 trophy, so I thought it would be irresponsible to take the family out without a kicker as a back up. Interesting that I then see a boat being towed in where the kicker didn't help them.

So when I went camping this time I brought my hand held marine radio to listen in on the boats coming in and out of the harbor (which by the way is a lot of fun when it's raining and you are in the RV watching the boats). I heard the cutter calling to the harbor master to hand off the boat to them so that "they could get on their way". Saw a boat come out from the harbor and tie up to them, and they took them back in. From the way they were talking, the guys being towed were not in any type of trouble legally or anything. Pretty awesome that they came to help.

I love seeing these great stories about our Coast Guard and thanks for putting up the picture, I have 2 nephews serving and am quite proud of both of them and if anyone is wondering who is the youngest Petty Office First Class in the Coast Guard just shoot me a PM and I'll brag on one of them even more.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

I was stationed on 4 CG cutters during my 28 years of service, and we towed a lot of boats....both small and big depending on how big the cutter I was on. But like stated in an earlier post, the guidance not to compete with commercial entities has reduced the amount of towing the CG does now. Still done to save life and property though. The change in policy was good. For my first ten years or so, I can remember too many instances where boaters took advantage of the CG's towing service. Believe it or not, some would go out and fish until they ran out of fuel. Then they'd call the CG to come tow them in. That kind of behavior stopped when they had to start paying commercial towing services. It's a shame that people took advantage of the CG's good will.

Default Dissagree with this thought ...

As stated here, unless you have a strong kicker you’re often at the mercy of the weather. After 2 and a half seasons on my boat I still don’t have a kicker, been looking but just haven’t run across a dissent used one.

Redundancy in the systems that keep you safe on your vessel is what safety is all about, I have made other posts about coming back on my kicker, a 9.9 honda with four bladed power thrust prop. We slugged along at 5 mph with a 9,000 lb boat in 5 to 7 ft seas from Montague to Seward and did not radio for help. Also have a hand held radio and a garmin 296 (for the plane) GPS to back up the Simrad and paper charts as well. About 300 ft of extra line and a 9 ft inflatable on top. Yes I have about three old fire extinguishers on board just in case. I guess my 20+ years flying small planes in AK keeps me thinking about what if something goes wrong. The kind of boat you are in (Osprey 26) and what kind of trip planning you do, looking at forcasts and data from the bouys in the Gulf goes a long way to a safe trip.

Situational awareness is key to survival ...
    Last edited by ocnfish; 07-31-2010 at 09:34. Reason: incomplete thought

I'm not certain of this so correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't it the law that a mariner must render aid to another mariner in distress? It's like the good samaritan act isn't it? Even if it isn't a law its everyones responsibility to check on fellow mariners that seem to be having trouble. Its a karma deal. Oh and excellent post ocnfish, if you cross your T's and dot the I's your experience will be much safer and more enjoyable

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    As stated here, unless you have a strong kicker youíre often at the mercy of the weather. After 2 and a half seasons on my boat I still donít have a kicker, been looking but just havenít run across a dissent used one.

Redundancy in the systems that keep you safe on your vessel is what safety is all about, I have made other posts about coming back on my kicker, a 9.9 honda with four bladed power thrust prop. We slugged along at 5 mph with a 9,000 lb boat in 5 to 7 ft seas from Montague to Seward and did not radio for help. Also have a hand held radio and a garmin 296 (for the plane) GPS to back up the Simrad and paper charts as well. About 300 ft of extra line and a 9 ft inflatable on top. Yes I have about three old fire extinguishers on board just in case. I guess my 20+ years flying small planes in AK keeps me thinking about what if something goes wrong. The kind of boat you are in (Osprey 26) and what kind of trip planning you do, looking at forcasts and data from the bouys in the Gulf goes a long way to a safe trip.

Situational awareness is key to survival ...
    Got tired of looking so just put money down on a new Tohatsu 9.8 four stroker, bracket on order. The good thing other than having that security hanging off the stern, it will take care of my Port list. Should have the kicker mounted and ready next couple of weeks. Sometimes it takes a bit before this thick head of mine listens to reason.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast