Thread: Hunting ATV...

Default Hunting ATV...

I know there is an ATV forum on this site, but I really want the advise from hunters...so here goes. I am in the market for a reliable 4wheeler, and was wanting to see if any of you had opinions about the Kawasaki Prairie 360. I will primarily be using it for hunting and possibly clearing snow from my driveway. I welcome your input.

The Prairie 360 is a good machine you will not regret your purchase, I own one and it has many good characteristics, good ground clearance, light weight, plenty of horsepower, large rack system. There are three things you should do prior to going out and that would be Winch, Skid plates and Tires. The stock skids will work for a time but if you intend to do any mountain trails I strongly suggest good metal skids. The stock tires will get you by but until you try the ITP mud lites there is no comparison. Get a good winch do not go cheap. I have made all those mods and have not got stuck near as much and when I do I know the winch is going to work even if it is 3' under water or mud. High centering on a rock in a mud hole is no problem knowing I got protection. The 360 is my wife's rig I have the 650 Brute Force with the same mods. We have a great time out on the trails. I have a great hunting rig and can go just about anywhere. I am sure many on this forum will have other opinions this is my 2 cents worth. Enjoy

Minimum I would go for a hunting rig would be 450cc (or a yammi big bear in 400). I assume you want to shoot a moose and haul it out, if you go manual tranny you can get away with a smaller motor but there is a reason that the old king quad had something like 75 different gears to choose from. Some people love the little Prairie, but when you get tired of not being able to pull a load of meat up hills with it and decide to sell no one will buy it off of you unless you "give it away".

I personally like the old quadrunners. If I get stuck, I can literally pull it out myself with my bare hands. It does have alot of gears, but I gladly give away that as a negative if it means my little 250 can haul me, my wife, my moose AND all my gear without problems, in the right gear. Also a big plus about it, it has true differential lock which is getting real rare. More common now is the limited slip 4X4, or 4Xmaybe4 as I call it. When in Diff. Lock, all 4 tires move, period......
    I pulled that thing out of the badger slough during breakup one year. Pretty stupid to be in there, but I lifted it up onto the stronger ice by myself. Oh, and it really does float.......no joke. With no gear, mine floats with the air intake above the water!

And if anyone is just giving these away, please look no further. Talk about durable, these old ones were built to last.

Honda aside most all of the other manufacturer 4x4 ATV's now have true dif lock as standard equipment.

I would also recomend a 450 or larger if you have the choice. Main reson is the tires you can turn and the trailer you can tow. We have smaller wheelers on our trips, but they go in without trailers and smaller less agressive tires. I have a love hate relationship with my Kawasaki Prarie 700. I love it 80% of the time, hate it 10%, and just live with it 10%. All brands are quality quads, the larger engines just give you more options.

For what it is worth.
    It is nice to know that there are "ALASKANS" out there, no matter where they live.