Thread: Valdez Pinks this weekend 7/30 - 8/1

Default Valdez Pinks this weekend 7/30 - 8/1

I'm thinking about making the trip from Fairbanks to Valdez this weekend. Will the pinks still be going strong in the harbor and Allison Point? Any chance I could get into some silvers? Are there any other places I should fish in the Valdez area? I'm limited to shore fishing and wading. This is my first trip to Valdez so any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Tight Lines.

-Justin

I think you will be a little early to get many silvers from shore in Valdez. There may be a few silvers mixed in but there will be so many pinks you will have a very hard time getting your bait/lure to the silvers. Last time I fished Allison Point at this time of year there were so many pinks that you couldn"t retrieve a lure without hooking a pink and any bait or fly I through out was taken almost immidiately. Maybe they aren't always that thick but my guess is the pinks will still far out number the silvers. The old city dock might give you a slightly better shot at silvers this time of year but I am not sure if the pinks are as thick there or not.
    Good Luck and enjoy the pinks on some light tackle.
    Greg

Was just there this weekend. Pinks everywhere. Silvers are just starting to show in spots out near Bligh Reef so too early for inside the bay. Wait another couple weeks.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

i dont know why people go so late in the year for pinks i prefer to be there early, the fishing might not be as hot but the quality of fish seems to be much higher, just my opinion

would i need any boots or anything to fish here? thinking about making a day trip out of it this weekend

nah you dont need anything but a trout pole and some pixies

gonna head down for a day trip tomorrow. is there anywhere in particular you should fish? or just anywhere along the beach and youll do fine? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    gonna head down for a day trip tomorrow. is there anywhere in particular you should fish? or just anywhere along the beach and youll do fine? thanks
    about 500 years from the wier at solomon gulch always seems to work for me , i think right now though there should be enough pink salmon in the bay you can go anywhere i have never gone this later for pinks

made the day trip on saturday and it was a blast! first time to valdez and will surely going back. On our way there there was really heavy fog in thompson pass, which made it look like your were driving in the sky, and blueberry lake looked amazing. we fished pinks near the big construction sign that warned of bears, and did all right. Wasn't as hot as i expected it with all the pinks i see in the water. Alot of them swim really close to shore, which i thought was unusual. But then we went to actual valdez and did the tourist thing, walked around and such. then we came back and went to the other side of the bridge just past solomon gulch and then it was money. every cast we had one one, including the biggest humpy i've caught in my life. man it was a blast, you have to try it on a trout rod with 8lb test and almost get spooled! and for a bonus, there was a black bear at one of the streams fattening up on humpys which was cool to see. and then a mile or so up there was a grizz with 3 cubs fishing and eating. pretty awesome trip.

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    made the day trip on saturday and it was a blast! first time to valdez and will surely going back. On our way there there was really heavy fog in thompson pass, which made it look like your were driving in the sky, and blueberry lake looked amazing. we fished pinks near the big construction sign that warned of bears, and did all right. Wasn't as hot as i expected it with all the pinks i see in the water. Alot of them swim really close to shore, which i thought was unusual. But then we went to actual valdez and did the tourist thing, walked around and such. then we came back and went to the other side of the bridge just past solomon gulch and then it was money. every cast we had one one, including the biggest humpy i've caught in my life. man it was a blast, you have to try it on a trout rod with 8lb test and almost get spooled! and for a bonus, there was a black bear at one of the streams fattening up on humpys which was cool to see. and then a mile or so up there was a grizz with 3 cubs fishing and eating. pretty awesome trip.
    glad you had fun howd they look probly not too many bright and shiny anymore, solomon gulch is where its at for catching them its not worth throwing line in anywhere else unless the area by the weir is too crowded

they were still bright when i caught them at the place we stopped at first, which was farther away from the bridge, but the ones we caught right next to the gulch were turning color, but still put up a good fight