Thread: Where should I fish this weekend?

Default Where should I fish this weekend?

Here's the situation.... I finished school and I am leaving AK in less than 3 weeks. I've had some great halibut and grayling days, but I still haven't had an amazing salmon day. Numbers are much more important than size. All that being said, where should I fish this weekend? I live in Fairbanks and I am willing to drive 8 hours each way. Should I head to Valdez for pinks? Should I fish for silvers? Late run kings? Help!

Thanks in advance, fellas.

Tight lines.

-Justin

To me the reds are the best for eating and the kenai is loaded with them so that's where I'd go. Just look at some other postings here lots of fish being taken.

Valdez for humpies and maybe some early silvers
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I would have Valdez in mind for the pinks if you want to catch a bunch, then on your way hit the Klutina and maybe the second run Reds will be in there by then. All I've heard about Klutina lately is how slow it is though, but they should be showing up any day now..

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Eod, Starky and myself did alright on kings last night in the salcha. Considering how the previous 2 days went for them and the chena closing at 1159 tonight. I dont think the bank goer's are doing very well compared to the boaters. I'd take ya but I'm back on nights the rest of the week and planning a trip to the penn this coming weekend.

I think we fish humpies in Valdez on Saturday, and hopefully hook up with a charter for 'Buts. Anyone know a good outfit out of Valdez?

I fished off Chena Hot Springs Road today and saw about 10 kings and 10 chums. No takers though.

Quote Originally Posted by jjkoestler View Post
    I think we fish humpies in Valdez on Saturday, and hopefully hook up with a charter for 'Buts. Anyone know a good outfit out of Valdez?

I fished off Chena Hot Springs Road today and saw about 10 kings and 10 chums. No takers though.
    Isn't it closed to Salmon fishing above the Dam, or right below it? They close the King Fishing tonight also right?
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

It certainly is! Thanks for pointing that out. I'm glad I didn't hook any fish!

Sadly the King fishing does close tonight. The count is too low.
    http://newsminer.com/bookmark/890028...g-on-Wednesday