Thread: Fairbanks boaters, no wake zone by perkins landing

Default Fairbanks boaters, no wake zone by perkins landing

For you Fairbanks area boaters, I'd like to ask you to be careful when heading up or down the slough to Perkins landing. For those of you that aren't quite sure where that is, if you go past Chena Pump Campground heading downriver and keep hugging the north bank of the Tanana, you enter the upper end of the slough a couple of hundred yards below the big rock bluff. The lower end of the slough is right across from Howard Luke's place.
    The Tanana is changing, and the high water is causing even more erosion than normal. Those folks living on the slough are getting hammered by both the river current and the wakes from boats. These past few days the river was extremely high, and land is being lost daily. Boats running through there are just adding to the problems.
    If you must run the slough to access somebodies house, please treat it as a NO WAKE ZONE! If you don't have to run the slough, then please use the main channel on the outside of the island. Last, be sure to spread this information to fellow boaters. I think if folks just realize what is happening they'll make good decisions to help those residence that are being affected.
    Thanks,
    ARR

Been several weeks since I was down there but last time I was there was a house that looked like it was going to fall into the river any day. Is it still hanging in there?

Default Hanging by a thread

Yes, the last house on the north bank is still hanging by a thread. Personally I'd like to see them put in a bunch of rock or retaining wall to save it, or tear it down so that it can't fall in to the river to become a problem.
    Interesting, as you go past it the wood stave sewer pipe points right at you. I'd sure as heck hope it was not still attached to the toilet.
    As for the folks on the slough, I have a friend living there that posted a sign asking boaters to please slow down. Out of 30 something boats that he observed, only 2 slowed down. Both were heading downriver. Then one of them came back upriver through the slough throwing a big wake.
    Unless the wind is howling on the main channel, there is no reason for any boater to use the slough, especially coming upriver. I'd hope that boaters can see the problem and take measures to not add to the stress those people are feeling.
    I for one used to use the slough regularly to sight see. I never really thought about the erosion issue. I fully understand the residence's concerns, especially since my own house flooded several years ago. I remember the wakes just rolling into my yard. It is a pretty helpless feeling, and incredibly frustrating.

AK, about the house that is going to be lost, as I understand it the house is empty. Why won't they let people come in and salvage the material rather than let it float away? Rental of an excavator is 1000 dollars or less for a day, and for a person that wants to start from scratch, there is alot of material there to be had. (spend a 1000, make 5000) I don't understad the owners thoughts on this. ( why dos'nt he or the kids do something?)

Anybody that lives or builds on the Tanana will see this problem in thier lifetime, that river is unforgiven.

The main trail to my cabin is about 1 more year from making me to making another boat landing or cuting another trail, and that one has been there for 40 years. The water in the last 2 years has cut over 10 feet off the bank.

And as you have said, why do people boat right next to a bank where a house or a landing is. There is a big river out there, do you just want to show off? Heck most of us run jets anyway so that saying that you are trying to stay in the channel is a mute point.

I know that there are alot of new boaters out there that won't read this, but if the word got out from on here to some of the first time boaters it might help. ( I get pissed when a big inboard comes upriver and comes up behind my boat when there is a 100 yards of river to run in.)

I guess it's something we have to live with, but it still gets me going.