Thread: Ninilchik Subsitence Moose

Default Ninilchik Subsitence Moose

I am new to this forum. I registered because a friend told me about the 4 pages of comments on the Ninilchik Subsistence Moose Hunt and the bull that was killed last fall.

I have read all the comments and want to share a few of my thoughts.

I live in Ninilchik. I know people on both sides of this issue. I know the gentleman that shot this moose. I realize this is a very tough subject and I felt there were alot of good points made in this thread.

As a United States Citizen I find a great difference between the Constitutional Declaration of "All Men are created equal" and what I see going on every where in our country. All men are clearly not equal in the eyes of our government. I could write a book on the endless ways our government shows preference to specific groups.

So what do you do? Do you blame the guy that shot the moose? I hope not. From my perspective he was hunting in a legal season and shot a legal moose. Congrads to him on getting the trophy of a lifetime. I know him personally. He does not live in a 3 story house with new cars, wheelers, and snow machines as ALASKACANOE described. He lives in a small cabin. He is a Veteran who fought in Vietnam and paid a hard price for doing so. He is dealing with a serious illness in his household. He very much lives a subsistence lifestyle even trapping locally to make extra money to pay his bills. He hunted during the regular season and wasnt lucky enough to get a moose. So he went out in the late season which he was qualified to hunt. He only wanted the meat. This man is not a trophy hunter just a meat hunter. He was just hoping to score a spike. Well out walked that big boy. He shot him. I would have too.

Whether I agree or disagree with the Hunt it is not this hunters fault the rule is that way. He was just feeding his family. He is not a man of great financial means. I felt many of the threads in this forum lost sight of the fact their problem is with the rule and should not be aimed at the hunter.

I wonder if KENAIMIKE told this hunter he was going to post the pictures all over the internet and use them to express his political views? Based on his post he makes it sound like that was his intent from the begining. He implied he went along with his friend just to see this big moose killed in this hunt he disagrees with. Did you congradulate him to his face before you turned around and slammed him on the internet?

Just for the Record. The comment made that a plane was flying over and saw all kinds of moose killed is BULL CRAP. I live here and talk to alot of people in our small community. This is the only bull anyone knows of that was taken during this season. Dont let lies like this add fuel to the fire.

I thought the best comments made on the entire thread were by MARCUS. Very good points and very well said Marcus. I wish we all had the sense to think like you. I wish we all had the share and share alike attitude instead of the "what about me" attitude our country is overwhelmed by.

On the issue of Boone and Crocket. Take that up with them. How many thousands of hunts are the average Joe left out of because of the money involved. Rich guys can basically buy their way into the book. Getting a B and C trophy is not a level playing field any way you look at it. People need to forget about it and just enjoy the tradition of hunting and if something is a trophy to you and you are blessed with the meat RIGHT ON! Otherwise WHO FRICKEN CARES! We are so greedy and jealous as a society. It is very sad.

With all this said I want to point out a quote from President Lincoln:

"If you dont like the Law, change the Law. But, until then live by the Law"

Big Brother is out of control. But, to fight him you need unity and numbers.

Halibuthead - First of all, welcome to the forums. We always appreciate new members weighing in on tough issues, especially when it is done in such a reasonable manner. Thanks for sharing your perspective on this one. I find that it's pretty similar to the on-going conversation on the Fishing Forums about the halibut allocation. Commercial fishermen have been painted with some pretty negative brush-strokes, whereas the laws and regulations should be the target of those who disagree. Likewise in this case.

I've gotta admit, I wasn't particularly thrilled when I learned about this hunt either, but you're exactly right that this man should not be the target of our vitriol. There are avenues for challenging such regulations, and our energies should be directed that way if we find such a hunt abhorrent.

Thanks again.

-Brian

hate the game, not the player
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Halibut....you certainly have a way with words, excellent writing!

Having the gift to type well is not a quailty that everyone has. Having thoughts, and knowing something is one thing....transfering them thoughts into typed words is a great accomplishement.

I do a lot of things well in this world, transferring thoughts into typed words is one area that I don't consider a strenght.

Your main point of "things aren't always what the seem" came out loud and clear, good job! I can tell you from personal experince "things are always as they seem", and some issues "reported" are not accurate, or fair.

In the big picture, subsistance use has driven a wedge. This single issue has caused great stress upon the entire state, has divided families & friends and pits like-minded outdoor people against each other. Conservation of our resourses is priority that most folks agree on, how we impliment & allocate conservation is comlex issue. As the eternal optomist that I am, I am hopefull that our state subsistance issue can be resloved.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

halibuthead, Good explanation of the other side of this story.

Some people living in areas not included in subsistance zones seem to not have the capacity to picture themself or family in a position of need. Most people in this town of 40 something year round residents hunt the general season eith every one else. Only about 3 or 4 are out during subsistance seasons, and everyone (either general or subsistance hunt) shares their harvest with those in need.

Default Correction

I found out there were two moose killed in that hunt.

Chignik,
    That is awesome about the people out there needing and sharing the meat amongst each other.

I hear hunting out there is pretty intense. Bears, BIG Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    hate the game, not the player
    Agreed

I just find it hard to believe that Ninilchik is "rural" and clam gulch, or anchor point is not. I also would say that driving 80 miles to do a subsistence hunt is absurd, and allowing a rifle subsistence hunt when there is an archery hunt in season, I think subsistence hunts should all use archery or atlatles. However man if you need some meat and its in season, I'd take the moose too. But what of the needy guy who lives in Eagle River, Juneau, The outskirts of Palmer, one can practice subsistence anywhere in the state so giving rural people priority makes no sense, giving local priority does make sense, but rural and NOT LOCAL makes no sense.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I have to agree with what you say. I never said I agreed with the law. I also agree there are alot of people all over that can use the meat. Another example of expoitation of subsistence is this Dip Net thing. People drive down from Anchorage in their 150,000(or more)dollar motorhomes and have their thousands of dollars into boat, nets, and etc to get their subsistence red salmon. Is that really subsistence? I am sure this topic has been beat to death on this forum. Of course the difference is every Alaskan Household Qualifies.