Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: red update - russian and middle kenai

Default red update - russian and middle kenai

The counts at the Russian say it all. I walked from Grayling to the ferry and never bothered dipping a hook. On a scale of 1 to 10 gotta be a 2.

To repeat the answer I gave the gent from Minn - the limit is only 3 at the Russian not 6 like the kenai.

Bing's was CROWDED - by people, so I pushed down to Soldotna. Not bad, but not jumping hot. Limit of 6 in 3 hours and mostly big fish. Lots of nice people - and thanks for netting my fish. Started to feel guilty there.

A couple of words to the wise. It was quite clear that ADF&G were observing catch from the other side of the river. An illegal snag is a kept fish that is hooked some place other in the mouth. They are not birdwatching with those binos BTW.

Hoping the fish will hit the Russian soon. Until then, I'll try to follow the fish.

Yeah I don't mess around call foul hooks try to get it out of the fish with out messing it up and turn her loose they are running plenty good on the lower Kenai where you don't really need to worry about it. But the state needs to rethink it when down at the mouth people are dipnetting makes one wonder. Anyhow I hope to get back down thier but buying a house and about to close is going to cut into my fishing time

Tuesday 27 July - Russian is about the same. It appears that early there were some fish stacked up at the confluence and a few folks took some quick limits. Reds are still not a solid flow up the river and I'd still say about a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Soldotna - well 6 fish in 4 hours. Steady is what I would say. Maybe a 6 on a 1 to 10 scale. With the commercial nets out, maybe some more good numbers will push through.

Where were you fishing in Soldotna? We fished the lower Kenai the last few days a little ways above Castaway Cove. Sat/Sun were pretty good fishing, but last night was very very slow. Waiting for the pinks to come in strong so I can get my kids catching!
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Son and I fished at Bings for a few hours this late afternoon. Took about 2 hours for both of us to limit out. It was some of the better fishing we had there in years.
    Tennessee

I second the Bings report. I was there as well and it was really good fishing. Limited in about three hours. Everyone up and down the bank seemed to be hooking into fish. Nice day to be out.

These reports prove that the recent slug of 41K that came in Sunday the 25th are making their way past Bings. I wouldn't expect the fishing to remain great at Bings though as the next two days were 19K and 16K, and should falter even more in the coming days as the run dies down. After this week, I am thinking the upper will be the place to find fish. The bulk of the run is sitting in Skilak right now and I am guessing that they should be nosing their way into the upper as we speak.

I think more may be on the way. It seems like there are usually two peaks to the late run with a dip in the middle. The OTF reading for Monday was 104 and Tuesday was 130 respectively. We may be in that dip right now with another slug coming through in a few days.

Default Wed 28 July update - Russian

It may be getting right for the Russian. The counts were up and there were certainly fish. Down at the confluence over about 3 hours I had 2 to shore, 2 broken off, a few on for moments. Moved up the Russian and saw some fish holding in various holes. Got 'em and finished up for the day.

Over all I say about a 5 out of 10 for the day. Had a little sun and little rain, so that's good too.

Fish seemed to be pretty small for a Russian 2nd run. Got three chromers. One of the ones broken off was a large blushed red. A little mix out there. The fish at the confluence also seemed to be pretty far out mixed well into Kenai water. There was not much pressure to push them our, so go figure.

It was interesting to watch a group of Germans get kinda pushed out by a group of locals. It was a gradual process of "getting snagged on rocks" and working into the other group to work it out. Interesting.

One question for everybody. Does the "guide" for these foreign groups have to register as a guide like others here in Alaska. ....probably a dumb question.

How far is Cottonwood hole from the Falls? Hikeable? Or two different locations and access each from it's parking lot?

Cottonwood is a few miles? downstream of the falls. Accessible from the same parking lot, but it would be a hike.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Cottonwood is a few miles? downstream of the falls. Accessible from the same parking lot, but it would be a hike.

Jon
    Cool. Kinda thought that but wasn't sure. Don't fish there much. Might hit it on Sunday for action.

It's a great hike. I try to do it each time I head down that way.

I don't understand how people can fish the Russian without walking it from confluence to the ADF&G marker.

If you want to improve your enjoyment and catch rate, walk the river.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

That's just a long walk! I normally head the other direction, and go from Cottonwood down towards the Bend.
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Fished the Sanctuary last night with three others. We each had some hook-ups, but we only walked away with 1 fish for the foursome in about 3.5 hours of fishing - not good at all. I'm sure they will be coming up soon, but as of last night, not a lot of fish. The water in the Russian looks to be about normal, but the Kenai is about as high as I've seen it.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Fished the sanctuary today, VERY slow, did end up getting my limit in 4 hrs, but very slow! Most people went home empty handed.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    Fished the sanctuary today, VERY slow, did end up getting my limit in 4 hrs, but very slow! Most people went home empty handed.
    I got my limit yesterday in about 4 hrs also, would have had it sooner if I hadn't tried muscling the fish in, lol

hows the fishing just below the falls?
    in the actual russian.

Just returned from fishing downstream of the russian river ferry. Lots of folks with one or two fish, but very few limits.

Sunday - 1 Aug

Where is the second run on the Russian? Can you get limits? sure you can, but there are so few fish you better not miss any. Many of the fish are blushed. Overall quite disappointing. I'd say a 3 on scale of 1 to 10.

When you see me or my group catching fish, please don't assume it is the only place on the river there are fish - really! The German guy who caught my partner in the hand with his hook and then walked right into my line.... look learn to fish.

Bing's and Soldotna are mediocre - limits doable.

Odd season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast