View Poll Results: What Brand of Loading dies do you use?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Redding

22 28.57%
  • RCBS

44 57.14%
  • Hornady

20 25.97%
  • Lyman

5 6.49%
  • Bonanza/Forster

7 9.09%
  • Lee

20 25.97%
  • C&H

2 2.60%
  • Pacific

3 3.90%
  • Wilson

1 1.30%
  • A mixed collection.

16 20.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Loading Dies...

Default Loading Dies...

What brand of loading dies do you use. I'm just interested in the dies here, not the other equipment. If you have more than one brand or prefer one over another select that one. You can also select more than one.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have mostly Lee. I'll buy other brands if I find them used or it's a caliber Lee doesn't handle, but I've been pleased with Lee & can't beat their prices.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Smile

I like Hornaday carbide the best although I have almost everyone you listed and a couple custom ones that are not listed .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default Imho . . .

. . . I think Redding makes the best dies and they are my first choice. I have a set of Lyman 45-70 dies and they're very good. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more Lyman dies if those are any indication. My least favorite is RCBS. Somewhere along the line I got a set of . . . . hmmmm, I think they're Pacific . . . for 8x57, but have never used them. And I haven't used any of the other brands you listed.

PS. I tried the Sako receiver sight yesterday with some light cast loads in the 375. They shot about 8" low at 25 yards and I ran out of adjustment.

Pretty much everyting. For run of the mill 2 die sets, Redding gets my vote as the the best of the standard dies by a fair margin.

Lee dies are a great buy for the occasional user, but they aren't as hard as other dies and will wear out much faster.

While RCBS is popular, and I have several sets, I don't like the skinny stems on the expander and seaters, dimentionally they are middle of the road.

You forgot Dillon, I have a set of their 357 dies and they are excellent, even if you dont' run a progressive.

Default Dies in my rack...

By far and away, RCBS are the dies that are the most populous in my rack. Making cameo appearances are Lachmiller, Redding, Hornady, Lyman, and Lee.

RCBS hands down, never had a problem with them in 30 years.
    An unarmed person is a victim waiting to happen.

Redding for me. I have a 3-die set for my .338WM.

I don't have an unlimited budget, but but when it comes to dies,I want the very best available. IMO, that is without a doubt, Redding. However, as is my belief regarding gun manf., calibers, bullets, and yes pickups, etc., go with what floats your boat. Thank goodness we have such excellent choices.

Thumbs up Hornady New Demision Dies

Really like the Bullet seater Die from Hornady with the floating seater.

Sizing dies the RCBS and Hornady work good for me!
    Alaska

Lots of mine are RCBS, a few Reddings, a couple Hornady and a couple lyman. Maybe a lee or two.

I seem to get them in trade deals...

But I only have one press. An old RBCS single stag.
    I should buy another so I can mount them both side by side...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Assortment

I've got every brand mentioned and some that aren't as well as some that were made by gunsmiths for custom rifles. Probably the most accurate loading dies are Wilson, but for general use most dies will work.

Default mixed dies

Got RCBS

Lyman

Redding

LEE

And my 2 dillon square deal B presses with DillonPrecision carbide dies.

Dillon Precision carbide all the way for pistol.(so fast and easy)(less load time,more shooting time!!!)

Rifle dies are all good to me...Got so many different brands cause deals happen that you cant refuse.

jedi
    Last edited by null20071; 02-28-2007 at 13:51.

You got me on the Pacific and C&H. All the others are in my rack, but I haven't seen those two in years.

You missed one though: I've even got a couple of sets of Herter's dies. Didn't old George invent the reloading die? I bet he claimed to, in any case, along with everything else in his old catalogs. Those volumes should be collector's items by now!

Just got into reloading and have been buying stuff. After much research it seemed that the Lee dies are a pretty good value. Especially for getting started reloading on a budget. 44mag- 4 die set carbide with a shell holder for 27 bucks from midway. 23 bucks for FL dies w/shellholder for my 325. I figured it's a good place to start.

At first I bought Redding dies and really liked them, but one of my Redding dies would not resize the neck of a 300rum properly. So I swapped it out for a RCBS and started buying RCBS from there. The Redding's adjustability, imo, is much easier than the RCBS. I hate the fact that I need a flat screw driver and an adjustable wrench to adjust my RCBS dies. I'll be buying Redding from here on out.

Default Reloading dies

Over the years I have collected many sets of dies. Most are RCBS, one Lyman, one Hornady, two Lee. So far I have had good service from them all.

Default Dies

RCBS is all most of us will ever need

Default RCBS Guarantee

After 27 years of use needed a large primer inserter (it became deformed) for my Rock Chuckar press. Called and RCBS customer service not only sent a replacement but also included the small primer inserter free of charge. That's service!!

I have an ancient RCBS Rockchucker press, smooth as lizard poop on a hot brass pole. One set RCBS, several sets CH 4D, CH 4D neck sizing dies and case trim set-up using the body dies, one set Hornady and a couple of Redding.