Thread: Seward Snagging

Default Seward Snagging

Im just trying to find out what the deal is with the Red Snagging in Seward. Are there boundries that mark where you can snag near the Res River. I also heard from some people that there is a date when you can actually snag in the river for the reds. I didnt think you could freshwater snag anywhere. Im not really into snagging but there where alot of people snagging in that river last year. I just want to find out what the deal is. I know that you can fish for silvers in the river south of seward highway and south of nash road. But what about the reds and snagging?

Snagging in freshwater is illegal. The Resurrection River downstream of the Seward Highway and Nash Road is open only from August 1 - December 31 (primarily for coho). Limit is 3 salmon per day, 3 in possession, of which only two may be coho.

Snagging is legal in salt water, unless prohibited by area regulations.(Snagging is NOT legal at any time in Cook Inlet north of a line extending west from Anchor Point, or in Kachemak Bay from January 1 - June 23).

The stream mouth (to define freshwater) means the downstream point defined as a straight line running from the most downstream extremity on one stream bank to the downstream extremity on the other stream bank, or a point defined and marked by ADF&G.

Default snagging in fresh water in Seward

One question for you since you seem to know the regs on this subject. What about snagging at that waterfall? That must be a special case because in September people were pulling up in their cars and jerking six out in 15 minutes with those huge snagging hooks, it was like people pulling into a Holiday convenience store and leaving it was so quick, and that was definitely fresh water.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

No special case has been made for the waterfall area. Snagging in freshwater is illegal.

Default watch it!

I don't know the rules but I can tell you that we have a very enthuiastic fisha nd wildlife enformant officer in town so much sure you are legal or he will write you a ticket. I would suggest calling him before going out.

Default good idea

I second that. Like I said people were doing it all day like it was legal, traveling from anchorage doing it, locals, it was apparently very routine. The waterfall, well it's a 100% artificial stocked run, zero spawning, and not much of a chance of any real fishing there since the thing is what, 100 feet long to the salt water--so the fish make a 100 foot run up the creek and that's it. It seemed a little too routine to be outlaws doing it. Also in my opinion the fish didn't look in too good of shape to keep. But anyway, probably a good idea to call anyway.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Correction

I found out that there is an exception for that pool below the falls and that it is legal to snag there. There should be a sign posted near or under the bridge that indicates the area is open to snagging. Since the fish are all stocked, ADF&G wants them all harvested.