Thread: Spotting scope cover-protection

Default Spotting scope cover-protection

Hi Folks,
    Lots of great info here. Thanks. Been a HUGE help. I have a Leica 62 angled spotter for sheep hunting and am looking for suggestions for a cover/protection. Don't want to bang up the good glass. I have a Leupold neoprene case that sort of works. Barely fits. Also have plenty of retired neoprene wader material to make a tube, and am happy to do that. DIY is cool. I have a great Ensolite tube for my Discoverer in the car, but that is a simple cone shape. That big zoom eyepiece sticks out quite a way on the 62. Any recommendations on commercial products? The factory case is excellent for protection, but bulky and not ideal for hunting IMHO. I have done several searches but haven't found a good thread on cases or covers. Links to threads or search suggestions would be welcome. Thanks. jon

I have used the padded cover Barney's in Anchorage sells. They have a straight and an angled one. I put it on my Swaro and it worked fine. I believe it is made for a Kocera?(sp) It can stay on while you use it too, which is nice.

First thing is to never transport the scope with the eyepiece installed. Once you are where you want to be, install it. It'll be fine humping up and down the hills from there.

I have transported my Pentax PF80ED in a cooler sitting on top of rubber boots, in the Pentax factory cover. No problems. This coming on five years.
    Doing wildlife obs every summer since '06, prime contractor supplied two Leica spotters which made their homes in Pelican cases, eyepieces transported in padded camera lense pouches. These can be bought custom made off eBay. No problems.
    I think if you bought the Pentax cover it would easily fit over your Leica. Otherwise you could use the Pentax cover as a pattern and have a custom cover made just by taking it to a sewing shop that could include lining with your neoprene.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I used the standard Zeiss Neoprene cover for about $75 when I had a Diascope 65mm. Since then I bought a swaro scope and the Swaro folks are super proud of their covers. $230!!! So I just went with the el cheapo neoprene cover from Cabelas for $40. It works great and have heard stories of it fitting other makes of spotter than just Swaorovski.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0057640713064a.shtml

Plus the nearly $200 savings is nice too.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a suitable case for the eyepiece. The neoprene cover I have will close with the eyepiece removed. Only takes a moment to put the two together. Thanks jon

I have a Swaro ATS but refused to pay the outrageous price for a Swaro scope cover. $1,700 for the scope, what's another $230 for the cover, right? I ended up going with a Kowa scope cover, very similar to this one: http://www.opticsplanet.net/kowa-wat...ng-scopes.html It works fine, though a tight-fitting neoprene cover may be more desireable for a scope you're hauling around in a backpack (minimizes bulkiness). When I was looking for scope cover ideas, someone suggested using one or two wool socks. Something to consider if you're really on a tight budget.

Jeff

I have a Leica 62 Armored (straight). I bought a Cabela's neoprene case designed for a Leupold Sequoia 60. Not perfect - doesn't line up exactly right at the focus wheel - but it works and was well worth it for $15 in the Bargain Cave. Looks like it's $25 in the bargain cave now. Check out the pics on the Cabelas site. You can either use the whole thing or just the "cap" for the eyepiece.

Bubble wrap and a rubber band or two. Light, cheap, works well.