Thread: October country rifles

Default October country rifles

I just ran across their website and found their rifles interesting to say the least! Does anyone have any experience with them?? Looks like they use Forsyth rifling. I have settled on a featon underhammer .62 cal. But the OC rifles look like a good fit for the north.

I've never handled one, but they've been on my radar for years due to their solid rep. They share a lot of design features with those from The Gun Works, which range from 45 caliber up to 8-bore and 4-bore and in price from $1750 through $4750, depending on caliber and detailing. The general "English Sporting Rifle" style of stock is reputed to be the best for handling heavy recoil, a good idea I'm sure with 8- and 4-bores! I've always wanted one, but never dug deep enough into the budget to put one in my rack. I'm betting if I ever get to handle or shoot one, that will seal the deal.

They do look nice! I have settled on a featon made by the fellow that used to own pacific rifle co. its an underhammer design. Will get it in 62 cal. He uses the Forsyth rifling as well. It will take about a year to get and will be the only fully custom rifle I will ever own. I love to hunt with anything, but get more out of hunting with BP than anything. After listening to you guys on here I got the itch to leave the conicals in the bag and use RB, so hopefully next year i will be.

I'm working out the kinks of using Rb in a 62 caliber smoothie right now. It's a Green Mountain barrel on a TC Hawken, and though the barrel is incredibly accurate, the high comb on the TC stock eats up my prominent cheekbones when loads get stiff. At the very least I'm likely to restock it, but if you talk too much about your new 62 rifle, I might be looking for a rifled 62 of my own!

One thing I've found using the GM 62 barrel so far. It's .610, and a .600 ball patched with pillow ticking will barely start down the bore. I'm going to a thinner patch (against my preferences) and may resort to a .595 ball like so many others have done. But the only source I know of is a custom from Jeff Tanner in England. Reasonable prices and quick delivery by all reports, but no sprue cutter. Just a source to file away for the day when your new rifle arrives!

Thanks for that info. The fellow that is making mine sends a mold with each gun. Im going to buy an extra as well. I havent asked what dia. he uses yet.