The Department of Law provided an update to the board that the Superior Court issued a ruling earlier in the day denying the overall stay on the summary judgement decision. However, the court granted a stipulation for maintaining the fall Tier 1 caribou hunt and to provide up to 500 permits for the current community harvest permit holders. The Court ordered the implementation of a Tier II caribou hunt beginning October 21 and moose hunting regulations to consistent with the Court's order on summary judgment.
The Department of Fish and Game presented information to the board that the estimated count for the Nelchina caribou herd is above the population objective. To maintain sustainability of the herd, a high harvest is necessary to keep the herd within the population objectives to prevent overstocking which would result in poor animal condition.
The Board of Game adopted emergency regulations and authorized hunt conditions to provide the following:
1. Maintain the existing Tier 1 caribou hunt season of August 10 - September 20.
2. Award up to 500 Tier 1 caribou permits to the current community harvest permit holders.
3. Award additional Tier 1 caribou permits from the current applicant pool.
4. Tier 1 hunt stipulations include:
a. Antlers can be removed from the field but bull antlers are to be destroyed by splitting the plate.
b. One caribou permit per household allowed.
c. Permittee and household members cannot hunt moose or caribou outside Unit 13 for the remainder of the regulatory year.
d. One caribou bag limit per year.
e. New permittees can relinquish permits if they choose to hunt elsewhere for moose or caribou.
f. The hunt will close by emergency order when 1,500 caribou are taken.
5. Open a Tier II caribou hunting season in Unit 13, October 21 - March 31.
a. Permits will be scored using the standard Tier II questions.
b. 1 caribou bag limit
6. Open a bull moose general season for residents, August 15 - August 25.
a. 1 bull moose with spike-fork antlers or 50-inch antlers or antlers with 3 or more brow tines on one side.