Thread: Notice of Emergency Public Meeting unit 13 caribou hunts

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Notice of Emergency Public Meeting unit 13 caribou hunts

Notice of Emergency Public Meeting
    Of the Alaska Board of Game
    Notice is given that the Alaska Board of Game will meet by teleconference on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 1:30 p.m. The purpose of the meeting is to consider regulatory changes necessitated by a judicial decision dated July 9, 2010 in the Manning, et al v. State, et al, litigation, 3KN -09-178CI. Regulatory changes to subsistence hunting for moose and caribou and the Tier II subsistence hunting permit point system for Unit 13 will be addressed. The board will also consider regulatory changes to the Gulkana, Cantwell, Chistochina, Gakona, Mentasta, Tazlina, Chitina, and Kluti Kaah Community Harvest Permit for moose and caribou.
    The meeting is open to the public. Listen-only teleconference sites are available for the public in Anchorage, Fairbanks, Palmer, Juneau, and GlennAllen at the following locations:
    Anchorage Legislative Information Office (LIO), 716 West 4th Avenue;
    Fairbanks Legislative Information Office, 1292 Sadler Way;
    Palmer Department of Fish and Game Office, 1800 Glenn Highway, Suite 4;
    Juneau Department of Fish and Game Office, 1255 West 8th Avenue (Caribou Conference Room); and
    Borough of Land Management Field Office in GlennAllen, 186.5 Glenn Highway
    The meeting is intended to be streamed live on the Board of Game website at: The Board will not take public testimony during the teleconference.
    Meeting materials including the proposed changes will be posted on the Board of Game website at as quickly as possible and will be available through the Department of Fish and Game Boards Support Section. For information about the meeting or meeting materials, contact the Boards Support Section at (907) 465-4110.
    If you are a person with a disability who may need a special accommodation in order to participate in the process on the proposed regulations, please contact Scott Crass at 465-4110 no later than 3:00 pm on Monday, July 26, 2010 to ensure that any necessary accommodations can be provided.

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

First order of business.

All BOG Members will present their resignations, after which the meeting will be adjourned.

That would be nice.

Smitty of the North.
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The Department of Law provided an update to the board that the Superior Court issued a ruling earlier in the day denying the overall stay on the summary judgement decision. However, the court granted a stipulation for maintaining the fall Tier 1 caribou hunt and to provide up to 500 permits for the current community harvest permit holders. The Court ordered the implementation of a Tier II caribou hunt beginning October 21 and moose hunting regulations to consistent with the Court's order on summary judgment.

The Department of Fish and Game presented information to the board that the estimated count for the Nelchina caribou herd is above the population objective. To maintain sustainability of the herd, a high harvest is necessary to keep the herd within the population objectives to prevent overstocking which would result in poor animal condition.

The Board of Game adopted emergency regulations and authorized hunt conditions to provide the following:

1. Maintain the existing Tier 1 caribou hunt season of August 10 - September 20.
    2. Award up to 500 Tier 1 caribou permits to the current community harvest permit holders.
    3. Award additional Tier 1 caribou permits from the current applicant pool.
    4. Tier 1 hunt stipulations include:
    a. Antlers can be removed from the field but bull antlers are to be destroyed by splitting the plate.
    b. One caribou permit per household allowed.
    c. Permittee and household members cannot hunt moose or caribou outside Unit 13 for the remainder of the regulatory year.
    d. One caribou bag limit per year.
    e. New permittees can relinquish permits if they choose to hunt elsewhere for moose or caribou.
    f. The hunt will close by emergency order when 1,500 caribou are taken.
    5. Open a Tier II caribou hunting season in Unit 13, October 21 - March 31.
    a. Permits will be scored using the standard Tier II questions.
    b. 1 caribou bag limit
    6. Open a bull moose general season for residents, August 15 - August 25.
    a. 1 bull moose with spike-fork antlers or 50-inch antlers or antlers with 3 or more brow tines on one side.
    Well, as an "original" Tier 1 winner, I'm not quite sure what I'm doing now. I wonder if my boss will let me change my vacation dates since I was going in September in hopes of a moose if the caribou weren't there? I wonder if my hunting partner will still go? I wonder why all this couldn't have been worked out long ago, not two weeks before the season? Why can't "old permittees" relinquish their permits, especially since they changed the moose season?

Eagle River, AK

Interesting. That early resident moose hunt is an eyebrow raiser, particularly since they dropped the requirement to 3 from 4 browtines. I'll also have to look into the Tier II application. Any word on when that will be available?

Eagle River, AK

Also, any word on when they might announce the new Tier I winners? I didn't apply, but know many who did.